Whats this sound? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Was testing flex in my rear passenger suspension after installing the Delta panhard bracket..just wanted to see how much clearance I have at full flex

Anyway was reversing onto a hill and the truck just wouldn't go past a certain height..it ls like the reverse gearing only has so much power and cuts out..it was making this sound..see video

is that normal? doesn't seem like it..I have no issues with reversing..just couldn't get up that mound..

having trouble posting the fb link..

here's a video

20240127_104824.jpg

Last edited:
Was testing flex in my rear passenger suspension after installing the Delta panhard bracket..just wanted to see how much clearance I have at full flex

Anyway was reversing onto a hill and the truck just wouldn't go past a certain height..it ls like the reverse gearing only has so much power and cuts out..it was making this sound..see video

is that normal? doesn't seem like it..I have no issues with reversing..just couldn't get up that mound..

View attachment 3543200
well can't upload the video..but it sounds kinda like a zipper

View attachment 3543200
OK here's a link to my FB post has the video

What year? Early 343 had some issues.

Video is not public or showing

Mine started slipping under heavy load in reverse only around 275k miles but was more of a squeal noise.

Doesn’t sound like it’s the same noise.
Some reading

What year? Early 343 had some issues.

Video is not public or showing

Mine started slipping under heavy load in reverse only around 275k miles but was more of a squeal noise.

Doesn’t sound like it’s the same noise.
Some reading

97..I posted drive link..hopefully will work if you wanna hear it

I don't see any video. How does the truck do reversing on a less steep grade?

Assuming the noise came from a 95-97 FZJ80 with the A343F transmission, there were a few TSB's from Toyota concerning shudder in Reverse.

IME the fix may be as simple as doing a complete fluid exchange, do not add any anti-shudder additives to the ATF, they can make it worse.

If that doesn't work the permanent fix may be to pull down the Valve Body and install a TransGo kit.

Another possible option is to upgrade to a NOMAD valve body from Wholesale Automatics in Australia.

It's all pretty much covered in the link above.

Last edited:
Assuming the noise came from a 95-97 FZJ80 with the A343F transmission, there were a few TSB's from Toyota concerning shudder in Reverse.

IME the fix may be as simple as doing a complete fluid exchange, do not add any anti-shudder additives to the ATF, they can make it worse.

If that doesn't work the permanent fix may be to pull down the Valve Body and install a TransGo kit.

Another possible option is to upgrade to a NOMAD valve body from Wholesale Automatics in Australia.

It's all pretty much covered in the link above.
thanks alot..going to have fluids flushed /replaced next week. hoping you're right about that..if .not, I have some more research to.do

Did we ever get a video of the noise??

Doesn't work on my PC, can you put a link to youtube?

Same video all three posts above??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom