Whats this sound? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sounds somewhat similar to when my 96 model had a screech in Reverse.

Do you hear/feel anything happening when driving forward?

What is the production date of your FZJ80 (check the VIN sticker)?

Do you know what ATF is currently in the transmission and have you replaced it all (ie a complete fluid exchange, not just a couple of drain and fills) with a Dexron II/III compatible ATF?

That may not make any difference but IMO/IME it's a starting point.

Sounds somewhat similar to when my 96 model had a screech in Reverse.

Do you hear/feel anything happening when driving forward?

What is the production date of your FZJ80 (check the VIN sticker)?

Do you know what ATF is currently in the transmission and have you replaced it all (ie a complete fluid exchange, not just a couple of drain and fills) with a Dexron II/III compatible ATF?

That may not make any difference but IMO/IME it's a starting point.
haven't noticed any issues driving normally forward or even in reverse on flat surfaces. I'm about to get the transmission fluid flushed. Is there something we should do to make sure it's a complete fluid exchange beyond the flush? I'll have to get the production date info..I did read the other thread talking about possible issues with early runs in the valves. I was hoping the fluid change might fix it. if it doesn't then..I'll have to dog deeper. thanks for your helpful advice.all great ideas

Just retested. Issue persists, but if I switch to 4L, I can reverse up the hill without issue. Does this rule any possibilities out??

Retarded, but it isn't a loose caliper is it? I had a caliper mounting bolt fall out and was jamming the caliper. Made a similar noise with a clunk

A defective Viscous coupler (inside the transfer case of a US model FZJ80) is taken out of the equation so-to-speak when you lock the Center Diff. So if the noise goes away when locked that could point to a problem with the viscous coupler.

When driving forward straight or turning, say in a Parking lot, CDL not locked, does it feel like something is dragging or pulling?? Tires chirping??

For now just shift into R and give the tranny a moment, this should help. If you are ever stuck just use low as mentioned above.
This will buy you time to figure things out.

A defective Viscous coupler (inside the transfer case of a US model FZJ80) is taken out of the equation so-to-speak when you lock the Center Diff. So if the noise goes away when locked that could point to a problem with the viscous coupler.

When driving forward straight or turning, say in a Parking lot, CDL not locked, does it feel like something is dragging or pulling?? Tires chirping??
not at all. She drives pretty good, all things considered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom