My Rear Bumper Build with Swing Down Carrier (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2KCruiser

Everything 2KRacing, practically live here
Threads
Website
www.2kracing.com
So after much thought, I really did not want a bumper that has the rear swing outs on all the time. 95% of the time this truck is for daily use and does not need the extra load or limited rear view. So I decided to make a carrier that can easily come off and on whenever I plan on doing a weekend camping trip. So first built the 4x4 labs bumper. Won't get into any detail since this has been covered in numerous thread. But basically used the tow receiver to build the base pivot point and worked off that. Then used the 2 recovery points to lock in place when in the up position. I also put an adjustable square tube on the wheel mount just in case I go with a bigger spare and I must say I am happy with the results. The carrier sits slightly higher than the bumper line and does not obstruct view at all. Both tail lights are visible and lifting is not too bad. Anyways, take a look, tell me what you think. First time ever doing something like this. My welding skills currently suck, but I did climb all the way up the ladder and jumped around like a monkey test and it held up great :bounce:

BareSteel.jpg

BlackPaint.jpg

DSC00044.jpg

BareSteel.jpg

BlackPaint.jpg

DSC00044.jpg

Here is a pic of it swung down. It rests on the edge of the hi lift jack. I stepped on it while down. Pretty solid so not sure if I really need I stopper :hmm:
Bottom.jpg

Down.jpg

Down2.jpg

Bottom.jpg

Down.jpg

Down2.jpg

Here's a few different angles.
Jack.jpg

Side.jpg

Corner.jpg

Jack.jpg

Side.jpg

Corner.jpg

Very creative! :beer:

My only constructive criticism would be that it hangs too low. Perhaps that was necessary for use of the hitch tube, or to use it in an uncomplicated way.

Good work! :cheers:

awesome!!!!!

Thanks, :princess: really liked the finished product too

I like the idea, and it looks great. I do have a question, would the stress on the 2 towpoints eventually break the tabs you are using for connection? it seems like a lot of weight on a fulcrum, something has got to give.

What about a link to the top basket? would help eliminate the fulcrum effect?

What do you do with your spare when you don't have the swing down in place? Does your spare still fit in the stock location?

All the weight sits on the tow hitch which is a really chunky solid steel son of a biatch. The metal tabs are just there to hold it from flipping down. I was think of making another tab with a pin lock where most people would install the CB antenna bracket. I will look into it, should be easy enough to make an extra point.

What do you do with your spare when you don't have the swing down in place? Does your spare still fit in the stock location?

Nope, there is a turbo under there, hence this swing down.
Check the turbo build thread in my sig line.

Friend made one similar and will be making one for mine. Beefy as hell. We just got back from Rubithon, zero issues. (He's wheeled a lot more places with it as well)

So the tabs keep it from flipping down, but what about flipping forward, into the truck?

I am just into my first FZJ80 so this might be something I could learn to weld on

So the tabs keep it from flipping down, but what about flipping forward, into the truck?

I am just into my first FZJ80 so this might be something I could learn to weld on

The center portion is free to swivel around. The two tabs keep it in place. Will not move forward or back while the bolts are in place.

Just added the license plate mount.

Tire Carrier Mount License Plate.jpg

Tire Carrier Mount License Plate.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom