Loss of power/knocking sound (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone, I have a bit of a doozy.

So a few weeks ago, I started having an issue while driving down the highway.

The truck started gaining RPM, without gaining speed. So I pulled over, waited two or three minutes, started it back up and it drove fine.

This issue happened just about every time I would do 10-15 miles on the highway.

The fun issue though, started two weeks ago.

It developed a knocking sound, barely had any power, and didn’t want to shift into the next gear. I checked it all over, and from my ear, it sounded like the knocking was coming from the bell housing/flex plate area. Inspected the flex plate bolts, no issues seen there. Pulled codes, and had a code for transmission solenoid. Replaced the solenoid, and issue remains.

It doesn’t want to shift into the next gear up, unless I let off the gas a bit.

I took it to a transmission shop, and they heard the noise and didn’t even inspect it. Would I be wrong to assume it could be the trans?

Checked compression on all the cylinders, and while low (I’m also using a s*** harbor freight compression tester) all within 20 psi of each other. Range from 120-140.

All the injectors are firing evenly.

Any ideas?

I’m not convinced it’s not something in the transmission.

What model/year 80 series are you driving?

Miles on the transmission, any recent codes, ATF level good (checked with a fully warmed up engine/transmission, transmission in Park, idling on a level surface)?

Have you changed the ATF recently, what type fluid, add any additives to the ATF??

Mileage should be 252,000. Unsure if it’s been replaced, but I’ve owned it for about a year.

ATF was replaced last weekend when I swapped the solenoids. Replaced with Valvoline ATF recommended for the cruiser.

This is going to sound weird.

But I have a stethoscope from my paramedic days. I put it all over the engine, front, sides, oil pan. Finished with the transmission pan and the bell housing.

Of everywhere that I put it, the sound was loudest and most distinct in the bell housing.

I could hear it all through the engine, but the most at the bell housing. I’m willing to bet it’s the flex plate/torque converter.

I also have that stuck in my head, so that could be why.

I’m going to take it to another transmission shop on Monday.

So, you have problems with the tranny...

"The truck started gaining RPM, without gaining speed."
"didn’t want to shift into the next gear"
" it sounded like the knocking was coming from the bell housing/flex plate area"
"It doesn’t want to shift into the next gear up, unless I let off the gas a bit."
"had a code for transmission solenoid"

...and you wonder if it is the tranny???

I think it's the tranny.

Mark...

So, you have problems with the tranny...

"The truck started gaining RPM, without gaining speed."
"didn’t want to shift into the next gear"
" it sounded like the knocking was coming from the bell housing/flex plate area"
"It doesn’t want to shift into the next gear up, unless I let off the gas a bit."
"had a code for transmission solenoid"

...and you wonder if it is the tranny???

I think it's the tranny.

Mark...
I know I know.

But when I took it to a trans shop, they said “it’s not the transmission, it’s the engine”

But literally everything points to the transmission.

I’m decent at motor work, but transmissions scare the s*** out of me for some reason. Plus, not having a lift or transmission jack.

You could also drain the transmission to look for sparkly bits that could be coming from the torque converter.

Drain oil, inspect.

Also cut open oil filter and inspect.

Simple, cheap and effective at the process of elimination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom