What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (52 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’d be interested in one. Have been looking for options for a top like that.
I'll take my 40 back over there and have a few tops made up next time I'm in town. I've had several people inquire so I'll likely just make a thread gauging how many and what material/color.

I got a new old camera I have been trying out. Its an almost 20 year old canon eos 1ds Mk II. I am using a Nikkor 50mm f1.2 ai lens from the 1970a adapted to the canon ef mount. I am loving this camera cant beat a 250$ full frame camera. Anyways got some nice shots of the fj40 today!

52785709524_19a1952e35_o.jpg
52785870030_8091a209a0_o.jpg

After a long delay finally made progress on setting up the '73 with FJ60 knuckles. Both sides measured for shims and the next step will be to throw on the knuckles. Using the Toyota SST to measure for the shims at first is confusing but after working through the process a few times is not that difficult.

IMG_9579.jpg

After a long delay finally made progress on setting up the '73 with FJ60 knuckles. Both sides measured for shims and the next step will be to throw on the knuckles. Using the Toyota SST to measure for the shims at first is confusing but after working through the process a few times is not that difficult.

View attachment 3288343
The peace of mind knowing you aligned it mathematically is priceless. As we know, this greasy job is not something you want to do twice.

The peace of mind knowing you aligned it mathematically is priceless. As we know, this greasy job is not something you want to do twice.

I've lost count of the number of knuckle jobs I've done over the years. Cleaning is the worst part.

I've lost count of the number of knuckle jobs I've done over the years. Cleaning is the worst part.
I just finished a knuckle job today on my 60. I agree, cleaning is the worst part but I kind of enjoy doing the knuckles.
E7D34A3F-494E-4FC1-808B-A998408D6D31.jpeg
CA8DF65D-090B-4895-A598-A7CF5FB50EDE.jpeg
036AEDA9-CFF8-4D54-9648-BE598B0E51F8.jpeg

Painted some things.

When I had may 40 painted Toyota 031 White, the guy decided to paint the running boards black and the bezel a bright, metallic platinum-like color. The running boards didn't look too bad in black, but the bezel was hard to look at. Fast forward to now. I'm prepping to add a retrosound stereo and some speakers. I got the aluminum SOR speaker panels and figured I'd take a shot at redoing the other parts since I'm painting anyway. I hate painting.

The original factory bezel on my truck was definitely not white (in case anyone is thinking they're all cygnus white) but not as grey as mine came out. OEM was a kinda grey tinted tan. I mixed some 031 with a black I had on hand. 031 has a lot of tan in it. You don't realize how not white Toyota 031 is until it's next to white car. I was hoping the 031 would lean things more towards a grayish tan. It did a tiny bit, but it's mostly a neat grey color that would otherwise look pretty good if I weren't aiming more towards tan.

grey.jpeg

Update:
Completed installation of new body mounts. I need to get some longer bolts for the running board mounts. I purchased 1" bolts and they worked. The bolts in the kit are not long enough, they are only 3/4". It took about 6 hours by the time I finished.

The original mounts were rock hard. The replacement should make a difference however I'm sure Louie will still ride like a tractor.

View attachment 3282250

I had issues removing the rear sill mounts. The bolts were rusted and needed to be cut in order to remove the mounts. The oscillating saw worked great.

View attachment 3282251

I had all the old mounts loosened and did one side at a time. I used a floor jack and a piece of 2x4 along the length of the tub to lift it off the existing body mounts. Sorry no picture. Make sure you disconnect the fenders from the tub before you do the lift. The kit bolts are short for some locations so the tub needs to be lowered back down after the new mounts are installed in order for them to engage in the nut plates. I used anti-seize when I installed the body mount bolts.

Overall very pleased with the kit however there are a couple things that don't work with the kit or were installation challenges.
  1. The push pins are too small. Try and keep the original metal clips if you can.
  2. The bolts for the running board mounts are too short. 1" bolts work.
  3. It would be helpful if you have a second person for the mounts that bolt through the interior. I had to get creative to hold the bolt fastener in place.
  4. Wish the fasteners were metric.

View attachment 3282244

Now time to put the feet up and relax.

View attachment 3282252
Have you experienced the ride yet?
Curious about the improvement or lack thereof.

Thanks,
Ian

I got a new old camera I have been trying out. Its an almost 20 year old canon eos 1ds Mk II. I am using a Nikkor 50mm f1.2 ai lens from the 1970a adapted to the canon ef mount. I am loving this camera cant beat a 250$ full frame camera. Anyways got some nice shots of the fj40 today!

View attachment 3287930View attachment 3287928
I was inclined to say, “I see you’re another film junky”… but I then realized your 20 year old camera is digital. I recently picked up a Full frame Nikon 36 megapixel body for about $370 USD. Not the same as film but, as they say in Thailand, “Same same”.

Incredible photos nonetheless. Keep up the good work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom