Builds My Hawaiian 1975 Fj40 Resto-resurrection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Aloha Mud family! This thread will hopefully chronicle my adventures in bringing this neglected 40 back to life. This is how it looked when it was pushed/rolled into my driveway a few weeks back:
IMG_7698.JPG

This spot is reserved for an updated photo for if and when we can get it back to some of its former glory:

We (referring to Myself and Mr. AlohaJen) were not really looking for another Land Cruiser project. But had seen this 40 for sale on Craigslist, bought and sold two different times over the last year and a half. When we saw it pop up a third time on Craigslist at a fraction of the original asking price, we decided to buy it! It wasn't running, the PO had told the next PO that the engine had run dry and seized up. The PO we bought it from had not attempted to start it since he bought it and had sat in his carport the last year. So we had it towed from Town to our place on the north shore.
From Town...
IMG_7620.JPG

Through the country....
IMG_7623.JPG

To its new home in Haleiwa!
IMG_7624.JPG

This 40 is a rusty hot mess! Because of its neglect, especially the spread of cancerous rust, this 40 was probably destined for the scrap yard. The PO said some guys made an offer right before us, but that they just wanted the axles and wheels and were going to junk the rest of it. Luckily he didn't take their offer, and was happy to hear we were going to try and save it!

Last edited:
It has a ton of potential, it just needs a little love to help it come back!! Here is a walk around tour of what we are starting with....
IMG_7633.JPG
IMG_7638.JPG
IMG_7642.JPG
IMG_7630.JPG
IMG_7641.JPG

The build plan is still in the works and we are still deciding the direction for it. But first to go will be those hideous wheels and bumpers!

Last edited:
The interior was in the same sad condition as the exterior. But there is plenty to work with inside with a little elbow grease and rust repair. I think the disco blue rear drop down seats will have to go. Cushions seem to be ok, so may just need to get some new covers for them.
IMG_7659.JPG
IMG_7670.JPG
IMG_7673.JPG
IMG_7674.JPG
IMG_7704.JPG

It will be a ton of work, but really looking forward to digging in to it and making the interior pretty again!

Last edited:
Great job saving that awesome FJ40 and best of luck rebuilding it. ;)

Looks like a great start!

Welcome to the 40 side. . . I imagine one of the disadvantages to living on an island paradise is limited options when it comes to finding a 40 project; good on you for giving this one a chance. I'd chuck those taillights too in addition to the wheels/bumpers. ;)

Looking forward to what is to come. . .

Whew that needs a lot of work. How about some pics of the frame? B4 you do much of anything besides cleaning it up I would recommend figuring out what direction you want to go with it, and what parts of it are useable/salvageable, or sellable. I agree the wheels are pretty bad, but hey, at least they roll. Thats more than how some projects start out lol.

Jen I would recommend buying the last pair of new front fenders that Roger has on his web site (City Racer LLC)

Subscribed, can't wait to see what direction you take.

Looks like a great start!

Welcome to the 40 side. . . I imagine one of the disadvantages to living on an island paradise is limited options when it comes to finding a 40 project; good on you for giving this one a chance. I'd chuck those taillights too in addition to the wheels/bumpers. ;)

Looking forward to what is to come. . .
Yes, living in the middle of the ocean definitely makes for limited available 40 projects! As well as finding spare parts, lack of a land cruiser community, and shipping any items over the size of a flat rate box!!
But we make do here. Plus there are a couple upsides to living here.....like beautiful scenic views
IMG_4118.JPG

....warm clear water
IMG_6673.JPG

....waterfalls in the forest
IMG_0811.JPG

....secluded beaches
IMG_4482.JPG

....and the sunsets aren't so bad!
IMG_5024.JPG

Whew that needs a lot of work. How about some pics of the frame? B4 you do much of anything besides cleaning it up I would recommend figuring out what direction you want to go with it, and what parts of it are useable/salvageable, or sellable. I agree the wheels are pretty bad, but hey, at least they roll. Thats more than how some projects start out lol.
Frame is actually pretty solid. A couple problem areas that will need some work, but really decent condition compared to the body.

Jen I would recommend buying the last pair of new front fenders that Roger has on his web site (City Racer LLC)
Well, he must have sold the last pair because I didn't see them on his site. Plus, I can imagine shipping would be a little scary on those! So, I will have to work with what I've got.

The VIN plate on the door frame is in pretty rough shape. It is registered as a 1975, and appears to be June or January. Any experts know if they abbreviated Jun for June?
IMG_7680.JPG

And this sticker was left under the hood by the PO during their swanky black spray paint job. But no other vin or info plates can be found in the engine bay.
IMG_7682.JPG

One moldy owners manual without a cover left by the PO. Most the pages are stuck together, so it may not be salvageable.
IMG_7675.JPG

Steering wheel is in decent shape. I've never seen one with this red colored center cap. Is this the one that came with the 1975 year?
IMG_7849.JPG

All the glass is Toyota and looks to be in decent shape. Some of the weatherstripping will have to be replaced.
IMG_7858.JPG

Hi, The 40 will be a fun project. There should be plenty of help on the islands with all the military machinists . Soak the cylinders with some oil for a week and then try to break the engine free...who knows. Mike

Hi, Soak the cylinders with some oil for a week and then try to break the engine free...who knows. Mike

Hopefully you guys can wake up the engine. Here’s a good thread on un-seizing. Sad day, seized F motor

You could use the engine, part out the rest and not come out too bad. Just a thought....

I appreciate all the suggestions, but you guys are responding faster then I can post. Part of the sale of this non running rusty 40 was the last PO bought another running 2F engine, but decided to abandon the project before putting it in. So this was part of the package deal:
IMG_7833.JPG
IMG_7834.JPG
IMG_7835.JPG
IMG_7836.JPG
IMG_7838.JPG

The PO bought it from a guy who pulled it from a '77. Said it was running good, just needed a new water pump. Who knows if it runs or not, but we will put it in and see if it works. For how little we paid for everything, the extra engine is really just a bonus.

Since we got the spare motor, we figured it wouldn't hurt or do any more damage to see if the seized engine would start up. We cleaned up the battery terminals, put some oil in it, and tuned the key. We recorded it just for fun:

Started right up, which we were both super surprised about, who knows how long that gas had been in there or how dirty it was! But with the pretty noticeable knocking sound, we decided to not let it run too long. Just wanted to see if the knocking sound was more pronounced in one particular area of the engine. Maybe between the two 2F engines we can get one good one up and running!!

Maybe buy this Kaneohe FJ62 with a lot of good parts. 1989 Toyota Land Cruiser Truck FJ62 Classic.
That's funny, we have been looking at that one for a while! It's started at 6k last year and has come down to $2500 last time i checked. It's a really good price, and I would love to add a 62 to the collection....but it's just soooo rusted out in really bad areas (like the roof) and thankfully we don't have the space for it. Otherwise it would probably be in our driveway now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom