What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (77 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah after @mudgudgeon 's story about his turbo killing his engine, I got pretty worried. But it looks like I might jave dodged a bullet on this one.
if your interested I have an extra set of EBC rear rotors,slotted and dimpled (not drilled) too heavy to ship back. let me know.

Oil change and front diff fluid change. Front diff was full of grey sludge--when I put my gloved finger in the fill hole, it appeared to be full of tiny water droplets. Time to re-do my breather. It was extended by a PO to the engine compartment and has what appears to be a PCV valve on the top of the hose. 🤔 Any consensus on current best practices for diff breather overhaul, or threads I should look at?

My pinion seal is also bad (suspect pinion bearing as well) so water may well have gotten in that way too.

My 80 is back on the road, with a new PDI airbox to match my Gturbo! Feels good after roughly 100 miles. Next stop, Vermont Overland Rally!

uStlOh1h.jpg

My 80 is back on the road, with a new PDI airbox to match my Gturbo! Feels good after roughly 100 miles. Next stop, Vermont Overland Rally!

uStlOh1h.jpg
If that turbo would have let go, all that hardware would have ended up inside the cylinder, right?

Or do they typically grenade out the exhaust, or externally?

If that turbo would have let go, all that hardware would have ended up inside the cylinder, right?

Or do they typically grenade out the exhaust, or externally?
This one let go on the hot side. The impeller section looked good but the turbine section looked... not so good. I backflushed the system with pressurized air, just in case. But, everything appeared clean. After 100 miles, everything seems happy too! I think I really got lucky in this deal.

WARNING! Huge pic dump!

Went to the Cruiser Outfitters Customer Appreciation BBQ on Friday. Always a good turnout and a good time. A lot of loyal customers with some cool rigs. Also some "interesting" rigs. ;)
COBBQ by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

th
Oil change and front diff fluid change. Front diff was full of grey sludge--when I put my gloved finger in the fill hole, it appeared to be full of tiny water droplets. Time to re-do my breather. It was extended by a PO to the engine compartment and has what appears to be a PCV valve on the top of the hose. 🤔 Any consensus on current best practices for diff breather overhaul, or threads I should look at?

My pinion seal is also bad (suspect pinion bearing as well) so water may well have gotten in that way too.
this is a good thread, I ran mine into rear quarter INSIDE truck, because Ive tested snorkel depth a lot. Diff & Gearbox breather extension

Any consensus on current best practices for diff breather overhaul, or threads I should look at?

Mine is fuel hose (ditch the stock check valve) that goes up by the power steering pump and then turns downward, no filter. I don't cross any deep water and its worked well. I've heard an in line fuel filter on the end is a good idea a well.

Just saw a tan 80, looked like bedliner material, and a 4runner on a trailer heading east out of Anchorage. Maybe it was one of you guys' trucks.. didnt they just have that ultimate 4x4 event or something like that up here?

Not a huge weekend for cruiser improvements but I filled the tank, installed a center console lid with pad from a 97 (so much better than the stock 94 lid) and enjoyed some family time in the truck with my girlfriend and my daughter, road trip!

Hopefully I can get it washed and waxed today and clean the frame a bit in preparation for fluid film application or similar.

So I have been tossing around the idea of wrapping the LC or rattle canning the LC. So today I went to Home Depot and bought a can of the Rust-Oleum Khaki and sprayed the rear bumper caps. Yes I know there are imperfections in the paint and exposed cracking but what does everyone think?

View attachment 2084079
Take a look at plastidip...less prep, stand ups up to abuse like getting keyed or branches on a tight trail. Not inexpensive but a decent option IMHO

Yup, same here. My DD is 14 years old now and starting need more work thank I like to put in so very tempted at a used Tesla but it’s a bit steep still.

Back to tech: I gained a little rear ground clearance/exit angle by taking off the factory hitch. Need to order a pintle hitch and cut the Lexus plastic bumper so I can mount my bike rack.

Anyone near Sacramento need a trailer hitch? It’s free till the recycle man shows up.
Got some pics? Was thinking if doing the same type of thing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom