some h55f and split case tech (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm a bit nervous now!! I have a 87 FJ60. I bought a H55 new from Toyota My Tcase is the 38mm. I got the rebuild kit for the Tcase,new clutch,rear main, new transmission mount. Am I good with the output shaft or.......?
Are you worried about the output shaft of the H55 or the output shaft of the transfer? Looking the part number for your box it is mated to 2H or 3B not an xF engine. Would be worth confirming if the input shaft is the same for the xF series engine as the 2H, I am sure there are threads on this...even earlier on in this one. I am still very new here and coming to grips with the amazing amount of data on this forum...
box.PNG

Are you worried about the output shaft of the H55 or the output shaft of the transfer? Looking the part number for your box it is mated to 2H or 3B not an xF engine. Would be worth confirming if the input shaft is the same for the xF series engine as the 2H, I am sure there are threads on this...even earlier on in this one. I am still very new here and coming to grips with the amazing amount of data on this forum...
View attachment 2448481.
I think that could be that a h55 never came in a fj model. For sure could be wrong.

Is there a Toyota Part number for the tap and plug for the Tcase. or just a general tap and plug?

Is there a Toyota Part number for the tap and plug for the Tcase. or just a general tap and plug?

15x1.5 Tao available on Amazon
Plug 90341-15001
Spring 90501-14029
Ball 90360-10003

we keep the oem parts in stock.
Georg @ Valley Hybrids, Cruiser Brothers & Long Range America

15x1.5 Tao available on Amazon
Plug 90341-15001
Spring 90501-14029
Ball 90360-10003

we keep the oem parts in stock.
What is the spring and Ball for. I was under the assumption that the tap and the plug were just that, a plug

What is the spring and Ball for. I was under the assumption that the tap and the plug were just that, a plug

I was referring to the factory detent parts when converting a vacuum case to mechanical shift.
If you’re trying to plug the extra hole in the front case half ( behind the “long” H42 ), you canuse a 1/4” pipe tap and plug or the factory Toyota plug. The domestic pipe thread components are much easier to source.

So I’ve read this thread a few times as well as others. This is probably a silly question.

Georg’s first post mentions the h55f varies depending on if it came from a truck where the transfer case is vacuum or manually shifted (among other things).

If you order a new one from Toyota (33030-60450) which type do you get? Is there an alternative part number?

this would be for an 89 62 that I’d be happy to keep vacuum shift. If buying 33030-60450 (or an alternative h55f part number) would transfer case mods be needed?

Last edited:
From my search of the Toyota online parts catalog the 33030-60450 H55f was used on the Canadian HJ60LG-MK, which only used the vacuum shift transfer case. The 33030-60450 was also used in other markets, not just Canada.

Just thought I’d link this video. A bit of a Terrain Tamer plug, but still worth a look if you need another rebuild walk through:

Whats the best H55F + new T-case oil to use? Is there a "brk in" process?

Redline MT-90 is what I run. It’s a bit pricey.
Did you use it from start/brk in till now/current? Or is it to just brknit in? Imnkinda confused on that...

I used it for break in. Then continued to use it.
do you remember how much was needed? am i spose to drive it like 3000 miles flush/refill then good to go?

I used GL4 for 3,000 miles for break in. Then I swapped to a SAE 50 Mobil 1, and I’ve got 30,000 miles on that.

I used GL4 for 3,000 miles for break in. Then I swapped to a SAE 50 Mobil 1, and I’ve got 30,000 miles on that.
remember how many quarts it takes?

would this work? 5 gallons for nearly same price as Redline MT-90 1 gallon and GL4. Is 75w-90 the corect weight? thanks

Amazon product ASIN B08HQX1VZ4

5 gallons is enough for initial fill of H55f and transfer plus drain and re-fill on both.
As Georg at Valley Hybrids once said, these are tractors so you don’t really need boutique oil.
H55f is 4.9L or 1.29 gallons.

I’m using GL4 80-90 for break in (which many don‘t think is actually necessary but it’s so easy I may as well) and will likely refill with GL4 again. Maybe I just love the smell?

Last edited:
remember how many quarts it takes?
I think I did both split case and trans with two gallons.

I did the whole truck front to back with a 5 gallon pail and had some left over when I used GL4.

I had a lot of material on the transmission magnetic plug, I know the magnet caught it all but I felt better just doing a break in oil swap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom