Second round build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Haven't gotten out to the shop to work on the pig much but I decided to start getting after the rear body panels. I need the dimension from tailgate sill to the bottom of the rear quarter panel, so I know where to terminate the lower section. Neither of my pigs are solid back there. See circled area for reference on what I am talking about. Thanks in advance for any help
20210613_102303.jpg
20210613_101958.jpg
20210613_102255.jpg

20210802_180828.jpg
20210802_180815.jpg

So I have been pretty busy doing some chores around the house and with work, however I decided to get going on this on Sunday. I think I am ok with the way this looks even if it isn't a perfect oem match. Once I cut and weld the two pieces together I will build the refescutcheon? And then of course struggle through making its mirror image.

Are the fj40 reverse light housings compatible with the 55 rubber escutcheons? I could probably clean up most of the rust but would prefer new. Also is there a good source for the lens? From what I can tell the 40 series lens is different, however I have never compared side by side. See the photo below for reference.
20210802_180744.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure your year, but here's new up to '73.....

They do sell used lights for the '74 and newer pigs.

Not sure your year, but here's new up to '73.....

They do sell used lights for the '74 and newer pigs.
I have a 73, I have seen those however I am hesitant to buy as they are not handed. I guess it could possibly be flipped over for right or left? Part numbers for the 40 and 55 series seem to be different and these are labeled as compatible for both models. At the price it is worth the gamble. Being that I am making new rear quarter panels I could possibly move them inward as well to get out of the radius some.

Anybody in here actually use those lights, without any problems? Thanks for the input scrapdaddy.

I have a 73, I have seen those however I am hesitant to buy as they are not handed. I guess it could possibly be flipped over for right or left? Part numbers for the 40 and 55 series seem to be different and these are labeled as compatible for both models. At the price it is worth the gamble. Being that I am making new rear quarter panels I could possibly move them inward as well to get out of the radius some.

Anybody in here actually use those lights, without any problems? Thanks for the input scrapdaddy.
Pretty sure our friend in Yemen still has some. I bought a pair. 81670-60050 and 81680-60010.

Edit: Those numbers cover '7209-'7709 according to ToyoDIY.

Last edited:
I have that lower tailgate valance if interested 🤔😉
I already have the drivers side bent ready to fit. I think most of the rust seen is only surface rust, Mainly under the torsion spring. Bob does your valance tie in under the floor? I will think about it and let you know, but for now I think I am gonna be good?

Anyone out there make a good distribution system for the rust converter in the tight areas? I was thinking of using some sort of high pressure misting nozzle like this High Pressure Anti Drip Misting Nozzle .020 x 10/24 Flow .05 GPM - https://www.aeromist.com/misting-nozzles/standard-10-24-nozzles/brass-cleanable-anti-drip-nozzle/anti-drip-hex-series-nozzle-020-x-10-24.html to attach to a standard pnematic air spritzer type siphon gun, either on the end of some hard brake line or a small high-pressure fuel hose.

spray gun.jpg
nozzle.jpg

Not sure it will work, any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom