Restore/Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All
New to forum, first post.
Might have made a purchase with ♥️ instead of 🧠.
69 FJ 55. I think I’m in love but soooo much work to do. Would love input from you experts out there.
She runs, won’t hold a charge, needs brakes worked on.
Many pictures to come over the coming wk.
Robyn
IMG_1624.jpeg
IMG_1626.jpeg
IMG_1627.jpeg
IMG_1628.jpeg

Welcome Robyn! 55s can be a true love/hate relationship. It looks good from here, so at least the body work portion is done. Like most of our wagons the wiring has been tinkered with by past owners, you would be miles ahead to have that redone correctly. The guys will be along shortly and we can discuss spending your $5000 budget.

How do you like the column shift 3 speed?

Thoughts??

Put this number in your speed dial. 801-563-1277
You need to call the boys at Cruiser Outfitters and talk to them about your brake options.
Kurt @cruiseroutfit has always spent the time to talk to me and help find the best option for my Pig.

You need to rewire, it will be the best, fastest least expensive option for you.

Congrats @jrt03 ! By the looks of it you picked up a great looking 55!

For the most part, wiring on an FJ55 is pretty simple. When the PO (previous owner/s) did the paint job and engine build, they probably got rid of a few things or changed things and didn’t take the time to tidy up. The wire wrapped around the steering column is a speaker wire and can be removed or rerouted to the speakers for that stereo someone installed.

My suggestion would be to get a manual, either factory service manual (FSM) that all the Toyota nerds are so in love with, or a Haynes manual (which I’ve used for 20 years) to help guide you through most maintenance you’ll encounter. If you’re not really setup to do your own work, then I’d suggest finding a local mechanic (preferably a Landcruiser enthusiast).

Welcome Robyn! 55s can be a true love/hate relationship. It looks good from here, so at least the body work portion is done. Like most of our wagons the wiring has been tinkered with by past owners, you would be miles ahead to have that redone correctly. The guys will be along shortly and we can discuss spending your $5000 budget.

How do you like the column shift 3 speed?
3 on the tree is great! It’s not sloppy, though I’d consider an upgrade to 4 in the floor at some point. If 5k was all it took to square this thing away so I could focus on the interior, I’d be thrilled. I’m 70m S of Selkirk Off Road in Sandpoint Idaho I’m hoping they can help. Too bad you folks are so far away!

Congrats @jrt03 ! By the looks of it you picked up a great looking 55!

For the most part, wiring on an FJ55 is pretty simple. When the PO (previous owner/s) did the paint job and engine build, they probably got rid of a few things or changed things and didn’t take the time to tidy up. The wire wrapped around the steering column is a speaker wire and can be removed or rerouted to the speakers for that stereo someone installed.

My suggestion would be to get a manual, either factory service manual (FSM) that all the Toyota nerds are so in love with, or a Haynes manual (which I’ve used for 20 years) to help guide you through most maintenance you’ll encounter. If you’re not really setup to do your own work, then I’d suggest finding a local mechanic (preferably a Landcruiser enthusiast).
So I’ve got the original owners manuals with the vehicle and a couple extra. I’ll take a look. I’m fortunate enough to live within an hour of Selkirk Off road which used to be the Land Cruiser shop, I’m hoping to run it up there this Fall. I’m a bit scared of the price tag that might come of this. Hoping the interior is something I can do at least part of myself, along with a brake conversion from drum to disc.

the engine is newer, mid 70's?
so most of the stuff on the inner fender aren't needed
the wiring on these early rigs is quite simple, don't overthink it
there are only a few circuts needed

Great looking pig!!
Going through this over the last year with a new to me pig my route would be:
Check driveline and inspect all fluids before worrying about the interior.
Pull and check driveshafts and check joints. Mark the driveshaft for phase before taking off.
Unless there is documentation, I’d suggest replacing all fluids, starting with the brake fluid.
Clutch and brake master cylinders are relative cheap if you feel yours are suspect.
Replace fuel filter.
I’d 100% put disc brakes on front.
Check the front birfields, pretty easy to tell if they leak. It’s tedious and super messy, but not that challenging.
A handy laser temperature gauge can check your thermostat if the dash gauge isn’t working.
@cruiseroutfit is a great resource as noted.
Know bobm uses = words to 😃
Everyone on here is super-helpful and this forum is an incredible resource.

Enjoy…You have a one of a kind pig!!!

Nice pig , looks like it will run good , ( somebody took care of it ) with out spending a lot of $$$$
PTO winch on it ????????

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom