Restore/Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hello All
New to forum, first post.
Might have made a purchase with ♥️ instead of 🧠.
69 FJ 55. I think I’m in love but soooo much work to do. Would love input from you experts out there.
She runs, won’t hold a charge, needs brakes worked on.
Many pictures to come over the coming wk.
RobynView attachment 3413190View attachment 3413191View attachment 3413192View attachment 3413193
Wow!

Congratulations!!!

That is a great looking Pig!

As for deciding with heart vs. brain - it's a Pig - we don't choose them, they choose us!

Welcome to the Pig life.

We can help with all the little issues going on.

I know zilch about vehicles, but was considering switching brake systems entirely and converting to disc. Thoughts??
Dual circuit would involve changing the master cylinder. You could add power brakes too.
You could go to front disc brakes and use all native Pig parts. I think Pigs went front disc (USDM) in 1975.

Welcome Robyn! 55s can be a true love/hate relationship.

The guys will be along shortly and we can discuss spending your $5000 budget.
That about sums it up!
Pig life isn't for everyone, but nothing like cruising in your 55...
It can be maddening to get it to the point where you are cruising!
As Ron reports, most Pigs can be built nicely on a modest budget.

Congrats @jrt03 ! By the looks of it you picked up a great looking 55!

For the most part, wiring on an FJ55 is pretty simple. When the PO (previous owner/s) did the paint job and engine build, they probably got rid of a few things or changed things and didn’t take the time to tidy up. The wire wrapped around the steering column is a speaker wire and can be removed or rerouted to the speakers for that stereo someone installed.

My suggestion would be to get a manual, either factory service manual (FSM) that all the Toyota nerds are so in love with, or a Haynes manual (which I’ve used for 20 years) to help guide you through most maintenance you’ll encounter. If you’re not really setup to do your own work, then I’d suggest finding a local mechanic (preferably a Landcruiser enthusiast).
All good points.
If you like reading wiring diagrams, you can figure out a lot of things yourself.
If not, find a good automotive electrical shop.
And x2 - bonus if they are versed in Land Cruiser knowledge!

Hello All
New to forum, first post.
Might have made a purchase with ♥️ instead of 🧠.
69 FJ 55. I think I’m in love but soooo much work to do. Would love input from you experts out there.
She runs, won’t hold a charge, needs brakes worked on.
Many pictures to come over the coming wk.
RobynView attachment 3413190View attachment 3413191View attachment 3413192View attachment 3413193
What's the story on this Pig?
Where did it come from?
Do you know any of it's history?
How did you find it?

Test battery and alternator before ya do anything. Voltage regulators are'nt that expensive either. 🤔🙂pics,pics,pics 😉.
Word.
A battery that has been abused may not be capable of holding a charge any longer.
An alternator w/ a bad diode array can discharge a battery.
The fact that some of those wires are disconnected does not inspire confidence that things are connected correctly.

Great looking pig!!
Going through this over the last year with a new to me pig my route would be:
Check driveline and inspect all fluids before worrying about the interior.
Pull and check driveshafts and check joints. Mark the driveshaft for phase before taking off.
Unless there is documentation, I’d suggest replacing all fluids, starting with the brake fluid.
Clutch and brake master cylinders are relative cheap if you feel yours are suspect.
Replace fuel filter.
I’d 100% put disc brakes on front.
Check the front birfields, pretty easy to tell if they leak. It’s tedious and super messy, but not that challenging.
A handy laser temperature gauge can check your thermostat if the dash gauge isn’t working.
@cruiseroutfit is a great resource as noted.
Know bobm uses = words to 😃
Everyone on here is super-helpful and this forum is an incredible resource.

Enjoy…You have a one of a kind pig!!!
This is good stuff ^^^.

Do you know what front end you have? If the engine has been swapped, there is a chance you may not have the original front end any longer.

Question - what about the grille? Do you have the marker lights built into the front grille? That was only found on '68 and '69 Pigs only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom