Builds Megadoomer Build (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It has begun.
20200208_134248.jpg

20200208_154715.jpg

One thing is for sure. I need to go to a scout box. The astro van on the inside of the frame will not work. I think while the engine is out I am going to work on the front suspension too.

Alright! Yeah, not a lot of room side to side. You'll need room for the a/c compressor on the other side. Look forward to seeing this.

Started my engine swap about this time last year. Buttoned it up a few days before we left for the Pig Party with about 200 miles on it.
You’ll make it. I may need someone to pull me out of the mud again!

Going to the swap meet today. Cross your fingers that someone just happens to have a 4l60e to np205 adapter kit laying around. Or a Scout II ps box. Not holding my breath that there is anything I need but it's fun to look around.

Well we messed up the swap meet dates. We decided to use the time on the pig instead of just retreating from the empty parking lot. We dropped the transfer case out and cleaned 3 lbs of gunk off of it. Removed the PS box and started grinding all of the mounts and attachments off of the frame.

The 4L60e is apart and waiting for the AA kit I ordered that comes with a new output shaft. Also ordered a rebuild kit for the tranny. It looked good in there but it still has 100k on it so the small dollars is worth not having to pull it out again later.

The AA should be here this week so we can start fitting the motor and trans and make some marks. Then we will start doing the inganeerin on the radius arms and shock mounts.

I call it “imagineering.” It is usually costly and time-consuming but ultimately worth it.

Played around with the AA kit today. First off there is a flange on the adapter that interferes with the vss and had to grind it down. We cowboi'd the case back in with a good 20 minutes of puckering.
20200301_115238.jpg

We tried to put the motor and trans in to check the fit. With all the guts out on the transmission it did not all want to go in. We just bolted it to the adapter and put the motor in alone.
20200301_122317.jpg

20200301_122327.jpg

We made some measurements and marks for motor mounts. It is still a tight fit up front but I think a cross flow radiator will fit with the clutch fan.

The height is good. May need to adjust the trany pan for the drive shaft.
20200301_123154.jpg

Pull all the fun back out and started grinding the frame some more and cleared the passenger side of the bay.
20200301_155822.jpg

Hey Doomer,

Have you decided on exhaust manifolds and oil pan? I have the truck motor and had to get a Camaro pan to clear the front u-joint and block hugger headers.

Hey Doomer,

Have you decided on exhaust manifolds and oil pan? I have the truck motor and had to get a Camaro pan to clear the front u-joint and block hugger headers.
Funny you should ask. I was just interwebbing oil pans just now. I think I should get a shorter one after crawling under it all today. The stock manifolds fit better than I thought they would but I think block huggers will be easier to deal with. I was seeing the vette manifolds were more compact.

On mine, the truck manifolds dumped right down on the frame rails, so I got Sanderson headers. I had bought the corvette manifolds and for some reason they didn't work out, can't remember the reason right now.

They look like they dump straight down and that might not work with the engine mounts.

So way back when, before the world was ending. Like a week ago I was working on the doomer. We put the motor back in and tacked in the engine mounts. My welder ran out of wire so I tried using Steves. That welder has never worked right.

So fast forward to when the sky was falling...yesterday. I bought some more wire and got a media blaster and some walnut shells. I got about a half inch bead going and nutthin. My welder may have pooped. messed around and still nothing. OK, so I move on to the media blasting. Push the truck out side on to the grass to make a mess. I guess i got a walnut shell too coarse for the gun I bought. So basically a nothing burger of a day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom