Builds Fly By Night (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The drivetrain of choice for this build will be a 2003 5.3LS / 1993 NV4500 / 1987 38mm split case with Sumo 3:1 low range gear

The FJ60 axles still have the 3:70 gear sets in the diffs. I’m holding off on a re-gear until later. The NV4500 is fully synchronized so I CAN shift in and out of first if need be to compensate for the taller gear. The highway speeds will be better with a 3:70 and the low range will be 72:1 by my calculations, which is lower than what the previous setup with the SM420 grossed.
This 5.3LS/early GM NV4500/split case/3.70 gears is exactly what I've been accumulating parts for in order to put in my 55 when it's time. Just having trouble finding the split case, but have everything else.

Ahhhh.....
Yes, off the bat they’re about 1/3 - 1/4 the maintenance cost. 1/2 the weight. 1/2 the cool too, but that doesn’t seem to be as big of a concern as it used to be.
you left out a couple important things for me, gas is quiet, i like quiet when i'm exploring the forest, and gas isnt stinkin up the campsite,,, man, you cant get the smell of diesel off you until its ready to leave.

Right, more quieter and less vibrational. But I have to say, the smell of burning bio-diesel is delicious.

Biggest hurdle for LS is the, um, infrastructure. Worth it though IMO, at least at this point in time. They’ll be good for another 20 - 30 years until the next generation of popular power plant arrives.

Ahhhh.....
Yes, off the bat they’re about 1/3 - 1/4 the maintenance cost. 1/2 the weight.
you left out a couple important things for me, gas is quiet, i like quiet when i'm exploring the forest, and gas isnt stinkin up the campsite,,, man, you cant get the smell of diesel off you until its ready to leave.
I feel like you guys should kiss or something, maybe get some honeysuckle for your vape pipe then get a room and tell each other about those evil diesel mens and how they offend you with their big muscles and black smoke.

Big parts drop came in today. Couple of Toyota boxes in the mix but the real gold is the genuine Cruiser Outfitters parts bags with hand written labels😍

Sumo 3:1 t-case gear set
Rotors
Brake cylinders
Rear axle rebuild hardware
Knuckle bearings
Front gasket and seal kit
Park brake crank pivot brackets, pins, and clips (must have forgot to order the boots🤦🏻‍♂️)
Several misc. t-case replacement pieces

Kudos again to Bryce and his ninja phone answering skillz, and my God, the packing and shipping department - super tight! *Thank you!*

D232156D-10E9-4282-B4C7-772CC8306D94.jpeg

AF2D660F-AF0E-4D27-B3B2-58E51179B012.jpeg

D742A830-F898-431C-BED5-39B6C5DE7ECB.jpeg

Love it, wouldn’t change anything but the 3:73s ... time will tell. Loved them on the highway, but felt like I was going Mach 3 in 4-Lo even with the H55 granny. I swapped in 4:11s ... hopefully those xfer gears make the difference.

tucker

...H55 granny...

One of the reasons I went with the 4500 instead was the first gear ratio.
The H55F first gear is 4.84:1
The ‘93-‘94 NV4500’s is 6.34:1
Taking off with that all the time will probably become exasperating, so I am foreseeing the gear change, I just don’t want to get bogged down with that project right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom