Builds Fly By Night (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@BenjaminCA , thank you! Thanks for stopping in!😄🙏😁

BenjaminCA is the creator of the YouTube series Project Wrong Way that I just found early this week. He’s doing a fix-up/semi-resto on an FJ40. Super funny and witty and very entertaining! Check it out -

That guy is hilarious! The 2f engine removal episode was like a slow motion train wreck, ... but in a funny way!
Definitely worth a watch when you're feeling demoralized working on your rig.

Ugh, what a weekend... I’m pretty spent. Probably worked 15ish hours on the tub with not a whole lot to show for it. Mostly a bunch of clean-up and detail work, a little fab work that I’ll have more on down the line. Laid some seam sealer in a couple places, cleaned more old undercoating off. Found brake-clean to be good for cleaning the residue of the old undercoating after stripping it off with the stripping wheel.
Got about five more major repair projects to do before being able to really worry about mod projects and paint.

DE541606-6BEF-49E2-8F35-060A16C498DA.jpeg

Took a weekend off from fab work and went camping. No new pics to show ATM, but have a question or two for the sty since camping isn’t really considered a cure for “pig on the brain”, but more of a catalyst....

Does anyone know if the stock 55 park brake handle and linkage is usable with an aftermarket AC system like Old Air or the like? Planning on installing 60 series axles (isn’t everyone?) and building a custom cable to run from the stock location on the firewall to the rear axle, but everyone seems to run a 60 series brake handle (which doesn’t mesh with my purist tendencies). Any reason the stock 55 handle cannot be used in these circumstances?

I think you'll run into problems with an aftermarket a/c and that handle. Can't tell by mine, but a lot is going right in that spot. Also depends on the a/c unit. The Old Air looks more like the Toyota heater, so that might work. My a/c is made by Restomod and dash by Scrapdaddy.

IMG_2662.JPG

Well, it’s been a roller coaster week, and not in a really good way - more like a Twilight Zone roller coaster. But the good news is that it blew out of the anxiety-laden trip of seriously dreadful changes and into some happier alignments (thank God).
Anywho, one of the sweeter things that happened was getting this 10hp Kohler-driven, Dayton two-stage air compressor from work for free. Had a blown head gasket on one of the compressor cylinder heads. Was able to make a gasket. Now just need to get some belts and do some plumbing. Would like to mount the compressor and engine on top of the 30gal tank and put some castors on the feet and make it mobile. Should take care of my air needs from here on out.

919B673F-755F-46E7-B212-899F23A8CB22.jpeg

ACD1BCE4-E90B-47BD-BA9A-4E5ABA40C602.jpeg

A2DC7D61-707B-4A52-9933-115089F69AD8.jpeg

642AD637-CE25-4687-8D3A-D5DB100E490D.jpeg

Score!

BobM is also very correct about sealing this seam here. In the short time, water infiltrated that seam and into the blind pocket I created at the base of the A-Pillar/kick panel and is dripping out through some pinholes in the welds.

9FD87797-0880-4378-A7ED-1C8314F9202B.jpeg

C4BFB125-77FF-4885-B1B4-B2850CB969A3.jpeg

Been fortunate to dodge any significant storms in the last week. Tarps stayed buckled down for the few showers we did have.
So I’ve been back and forth on how to deal with the bare metal from the tub repairs while I do all this work. Long story short, I’m just going to spray the areas down with some rattle can paint for temporary protection until it’s time to do the actual paint work, then I’ll just remove it with some stripper or sand before making my base layer with epoxy primer.
So I went back and cleaned up most all of the areas I’ve worked on so far and rattle canned them. Welded up those channel seams and a couple cracks on the upper mounts for the inner fenders.

2D0909F2-EBFF-4CAA-998A-3C24C0F73D25.jpeg

BD5BC180-62C5-4A84-872D-8F537B67FD8E.jpeg

CCCE95D3-E1F2-43F3-97F8-D76B5CB07C68.jpeg

then I’ll just remove it with some stripper or sand before making my base layer with epoxy primer.
Why not grab a couple cans of Self-Etching Primer and hit the spots as you go, most automotive paint stores carry spray cans of quality primer designed to work with automotive primer systems so no need to remove later.

I’ve used both,

DuPont 1K Self-Etching Primer

SEM Paints 39693 Self - etching Primer

And they worked well.

🤔 Interesting....

On another note, I’m finalizing the bolt hole placements for the front tub mounts. I took a couple quick measurements before cutting based off of the front of the lower extension of the A-Pillar and the inside sheetmetal of the rockers. This got me in the ballpark, but wanted to confirm it based on the frame. The measurement from the front tub mount in line to the second mount back is dead on 55” center to center. I decided to “X” it from the second mount back on the opposite side, and it’s dead on 71” center to center. All is right in the world...

75EF6343-3918-421F-936C-43585C7EF4A5.jpeg

F9DEC8BE-CD65-47E5-AE73-BB65930F3B65.jpeg

D2CC2E3E-E35D-4069-81F9-C665FDEE7AFD.jpeg

C98F283D-2010-4AF8-B3F5-C1DF86C05AD1.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom