Builds Fly By Night (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

E692F5AF-1C2A-4286-8C35-87EF07C33E0A.jpeg

Started year 5 of the project in July. 🥳

More learning curves. Maybe a couple small steps in progress, maybe one or two steps back.

As I’ve mentioned several times, been on the hunt for a TIG welder. Found and bought a Miller Dialarc HF with a Bernard torch cooler. Checked all the boxes I had at the time - single phase 220v, 250 amp output capability (40% duty cycle).
After purchase of course, I discovered that the amperage input requirement is around 100 amps, which my 30 amp dryer circuit (that I’ve used for every other welder I’ve used) falls well short of.
Not sure what I’m going to do with the Miller, but still on the hunt for another TIG that will better fit my lifestyle.

View attachment 3390225
100 amps? That's some juice...

Picked up this old section of heavy duty shelving to use as a scaffold.
Joined the club and bought the AP pressure pot along with a bigger filter/water separator/regulator.
Sprayed the roof without having the gun really dialed in. It’s white, but needs some work and another coat or two (no pics). Ran completely through the gallon so need to get more. At least it’s protected now in time for all the monsoon humidity.

View attachment 3390261

View attachment 3390262
Yeah man! That's the way you do it!!!

Yes, your Miller would be happier on a 50 amp circuit too if your panel is close just pop something in and test it out, might do what you need without spending much more money..

View attachment 3390280
That's where my eyes went - breaker size req'd.

Weld anything yet?? Whats da holed up 🧁🤣
Of course! As soon as I hauled it in!

I spent a little time dialing in the settings and trying to wrap my head around the thumb control on the torch head. I actually prefer a thumb control since that’s what I cut my teeth on TIG welding aluminum bulk cement trailers with. Can’t really use a foot control on a ladder or laying on your stomach. But this thumb control is a different animal - push it down to start your arc then release it and the amps ramp up to what you set them too, then push it again to stop. Kinda goofy, so I swapped in the foot pedal and had smooth control.
Played around on a flat plate then pulled the tungsten out about 1/4” and welded some inside corner joints with ease. This was all on some 1/8” aluminum, and never needed more than 100 - 150 amps output.
Ran the frequency at 120 hz, and the balance at about 30.

I spent a little time dialing in the settings and trying to wrap my head around the thumb control on the torch head. I actually prefer a thumb control since that’s what I cut my teeth on TIG welding aluminum bulk cement trailers with. Can’t really use a foot control on a ladder or laying on your stomach. But this thumb control is a different animal - push it down to start your arc then release it and the amps ramp up to what you set them too, then push it again to stop. Kinda goofy, so I swapped in the foot pedal and had smooth control.
Played around on a flat plate then pulled the tungsten out about 1/4” and welded some inside corner joints with ease. This was all on some 1/8” aluminum, and never needed more than 100 - 150 amps output.
Now you can cut your roof off, paint it and weld it back on!

Pics 😉🙂. You can get creative with foot pedal laying down I've used it with my toe and between knees, or an elbow 😉. If you do exhaust I would tack each section under truck then remove and weld 😉. You dont need filler on stainless if your joints are tight 😘.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom