Builds Fly By Night (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Back on this project this weekend - wife and kids are gone to Disneyland until Wednesday. I’ve got a 4 day weekend to put as much time as I can towards the Cruiser.

Goal - get the roof painted

The last time I sprayed any paint on the tub was around September or October of 2021. It was still on the rotisserie and I had epoxy primed and 2K primed/sealed the roof, and painted the underside of the drip rail. I used a single part seam sealer (not the best, I know) in the drip rail, with primer below it and over it.
Since that time, a couple of problem areas have surfaced. A couple of small bubbles in the center of the roof, and a few cracks in the paint in the drip rail. Getting those taken care of before a third coat of 2k primer and the white single stage topcoat.

View attachment 3363466
Jinkees, kind of cool you didn't have full color on it before these issues popped up!

Started year 5 of the project in July. 🥳

More learning curves. Maybe a couple small steps in progress, maybe one or two steps back.

As I’ve mentioned several times, been on the hunt for a TIG welder. Found and bought a Miller Dialarc HF with a Bernard torch cooler. Checked all the boxes I had at the time - single phase 220v, 250 amp output capability (40% duty cycle).
After purchase of course, I discovered that the amperage input requirement is around 100 amps, which my 30 amp dryer circuit (that I’ve used for every other welder I’ve used) falls well short of.
Not sure what I’m going to do with the Miller, but still on the hunt for another TIG that will better fit my lifestyle.

93AEF997-E864-477D-853A-50435812D68F.jpeg

Picked up this old section of heavy duty shelving to use as a scaffold.
Joined the club and bought the AP pressure pot along with a bigger filter/water separator/regulator.
Sprayed the roof without having the gun really dialed in. It’s white, but needs some work and another coat or two (no pics). Ran completely through the gallon so need to get more. At least it’s protected now in time for all the monsoon humidity.

3CA71E64-AF88-4843-B8A6-CA5C86DFBEC0.jpeg

FFEE6EB8-840C-449B-977B-020003FA04C7.jpeg

Lay down an inch to two inches of weld on some 1/8” aluminum and the breaker pops.
Yeah you are going to need a 50 AMP service at some point in your shop, I have the big brother to your machine a 330 aircrafter running on a 100 AMP service and it's great but welding on the older machines before square wave kind of sucks if you plan to do more aluminum than steel.

This machine gets great reviews and can be found for under $900.00, I would lean that way if I was in the market for a new machine. PRIMEWELD TIG225X 225 Amp IGBT AC DC Tig/Stick Welder

Yeah you are going to need a 50 AMP service at some point in your shop, I have the big brother to your machine a 330 aircrafter running on a 100 AMP service and it's great but welding on the older machines before square wave kind of sucks if you plan to do more aluminum than steel.

This machine gets great reviews and can be found for under $900.00, I would lean that way if I was in the market for a new machine. PRIMEWELD TIG225X 225 Amp IGBT AC DC Tig/Stick Welder

That is one of the ones on my new list. It’s 240v input amperage requirement is 33 amps. Should work with a 30 or 40 amp breaker.

That is one of the ones on my new list. It’s 240v input amperage requirement is 33 amps. Should work with a 30 or 40 amp breaker.
Yes but no....

Specifications

BREAKER SIZE:

(120V) 30 amps / (240V) 50 amps

TIG OUTPUT IN AMPS:

120 volts: 20-140 amps

240 volts: 20-225 amps

You will need a 240V 50 AMP service to weld at 225 AMPS.

Isn't your main panel right there on the side of the garage? I can run a 50 amp sub panel for ya right to tje front corner of the shop, easy peasy

Wire has gotten ridiculous, about $6 a ft for that run.
No, it’s actually on the opposite side of the house. But if you would like to take a look or talk further on it, give me a shout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom