FJ40 EXTERIOR REAR VIEW MIRRORS (OEM TOYOTA) (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Awesome thread!!

I need new mirrors and I have the stock plastic 90303 ones now. They will not stay in position going down the interstate and the plastic is cracked. But I like the arms 90301 that are mounted on the door that accept the plastic mirrors. My question is can I some how mount mirror 60011 on the existing arm 90301? Can I disassemble the 60011 and make it fit, because it is a ball and socket type mirror anyway??

I know this thread has been idle for a while so any response is greatly appreciated.

To solve your problem once and for all, get the OEM Euro Spec Mirrors:

Link1
Link2
Link3

Did u find these arms yet. I am after these ones also ??

The convex mirror was used here in Japan and I have a newer one on my truck. On the right is ac convex with a different finish layer over the steel. I'm not sure of the years for these but I believe them to be OEM as well. Living- are these the arms you're talking about?

Pete

View attachment 916470 View attachment 916471

I have the plastic ones for about 5 years now. They are holding well without cracking, but I mentioned that they stopped being rigid at the ball mounting point. Going anything above 60 km/h and they rotate due to aerodynamic forces, tighten the screw to the max before the nut start turning out of its seat doesn't give much help...

I have the plastic ones for about 5 years now. They are holding well without cracking, but I mentioned that they stopped being rigid at the ball mounting point. Going anything above 60 km/h and they rotate due to aerodynamic forces, tighten the screw to the max before the nut start turning out of its seat doesn't give much help...

You can try and wrap the ball in something like masking tape to take up the slack.

You can try and wrap the ball in something like masking tape to take up the slack.

I don't think so. The plastic mirror heads should be considered wear items. They last a few years.

The Euro-spec ones are the solution to this problem.

FWIW - Being the mirrors are good, you can try this little trick. Go to your local hardware store and pick up a couple of small external tooth lock washers. Place one in the mirror's plastic ball socket, then install the mirror on the mirror arm ball. Then tight'en'er back up.

This is what I did it when I installed new mirrors. I removed the mirror & arm off the door. Then laid the mirrors on a towel face down, insert external tooth lock washer, installed the mirror arm ball, installed bolts, tighten, then reinstalled as a whole unit...:meh:

i am still after these arms also these are Japan numbers for arms years . 74/02-76/08

RH 87902-90300
LH 87905-90300

can anybody check if these numbers are still good

pic stolen from earlier in this thread .

i just checked these numbers for all other regions spec (Japan,Euro,gen market .everybody had these arm listed in their region accept the US it seemed to be used for softop doors right up to the EPC says 04/1986

i want a set of these arms and mirror heads

image.jpg

Ya know that mirror arm and mount would be a fairly straight forward thing for someone to make and sell...

Four pieces and eight bends for the base. A bench top hydraulic press and 4 laser cut pieces for the base, and the arm would be pretty straight forward.

Maybe someone would take it on? Just thinking out loud...

Allen

i am still after these arms also these are Japan numbers for arms years . 74/02-76/08

RH 87902-90300
LH 87905-90300

Are there tubs with holes predrilled in that location?

The style that bolts to the windshield hinges is still available with round and rectangular heads. Maybe the holes are the same distance apart?

166-01_i-big.jpg

Did those actually bolt to the hinges as Oem or is that where people have been mounting them. I don't think the hinge is the OEM location. Look at old lit u will see those telescoping arms mounted to the side of the cowl also. I don't think there are any tubs with oem bolt holes there. Just drill and bolt on. Doh.

I think that is the OEM location of those mirrors, but this pic is included on the same page at SOR, with this text, "Another factory mounting option that was used on 1958-1967 USA 40 & 45 Series and later model NON-USA vehicles, mirror arm location was below the windshield hinge on the small flat side of the front body cowl, as shown in photo. 1958-1967 USA 40 & 45 Series and later model NON-USA vehicles had factory nut plate welded to the inside area for mounting, so no drilling was required. For 1968-1984 USA models you also have this option for a mounting location for the telescopic mirror arms #166-02A, but drilling is required, two holes per side."

166-01_i2-big.jpg

RIP Marv. :(

Since it looks like my rig is going topless, I just received these:

View attachment 1215388

I'll get some rubber washers and extended windshield hing bolts to mount on the windshield hinges.

They vibrate pretty badly with a direct mount to steel. A rubber washer would only aggrevate things. I suggest cutting some thin plastic washers from something like the side of a milk carton to protect your hinge but still allow for a firm base for the mirror arm.

Best

Mark

They vibrate pretty badly with a direct mount to steel. A rubber washer would only aggrevate things. I suggest cutting some thin plastic washers from something like the side of a milk carton to protect your hinge but still allow for a firm base for the mirror arm.

Best

Mark

Much appreciated....I have several plastic washers I've made from milk jugs, so I'll install a few.

So did the early to mid 60's FJ40's have passenger mirrors, or were they an option? I've got a really odd passenger mirror arm, it (was/is) the correct beige. Not sure if it's some later add on or factory.

So did the early to mid 60's FJ40's have passenger mirrors, or were they an option? I've got a really odd passenger mirror arm, it (was/is) the correct beige. Not sure if it's some later add on or factory.

Negative. Just the driver's side.

I have a '78 40 and the plastic mirror heads were loose and the glass was cracked. I also had a set of the rectangular metal mirrors that mount on the windshield that I couldn't see out of worth a damn. I noticed that both types were ball and socket mirrors but the ball on the factory door-mounted arm was bigger than the ball for the rectangular mirror head and the securing ring was too small to go over the ball on the OEM arm. Here was my solution: Cut a little wedge out of the securing ring, slide the ring over the OEM arm and run the screws in. Booya!

IMG_1196.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom