Rear View Mirror (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I found a nice used , stock rear view mirror for the one that was missing on my 73. This is the one that mounts above the windshield. It is the snap in type and I already had the base mount for it. It also came with a selection of three spring clips to hold it in place. One won't hold it , two stacked does but if you sneeze on it it comes off and all three stacked won't snap in at all. The easy way out is to just drill though the mirror housing and use longer screws which doesn't trouble me too much as I'm not doing a 100 point resto but before I do that I thought I would ask if any one else has dealt with this and come up with a solution that will keep it looking 100% stock, as it sits now the first hard bump in the road and it will pop right out.

I just pulled mine off the 75 40. Looks like all three springs.

20240131_192201.jpg

So here's the follow up and where I think the problem lies. I did use a rubber mallet whacking it as hard as I dared, still no go. I started out with a base but no mirror and looking around on ebay I found several nice used mirrors, one that included a base and one that did not for a little less. Hindsight being 20/20 I realize now I should have bought the matched set, my base had to be slightly off to the mirror I bought. Because I'm not doing a full resto today I used the base with the mirror loosely clipped in as a template and drilled all the way through the face and then took two longer screws and mounted it up. It doesn't look all that hillbilly, maybe even factory :rolleyes: and I know it will stay up there. The moral of the story if you are in the market for a replacement, get matching pieces to be sure.

Rubber mallet?

Hi Paul, I see that you are located in beautiful Cherry Valley NY. My father and I used to hunt deer in the surrounding area when I was kid. Good memories!

So here's the follow up and where I think the problem lies. I did use a rubber mallet whacking it as hard as I dared, still no go. I started out with a base but no mirror and looking around on ebay I found several nice used mirrors, one that included a base and one that did not for a little less. Hindsight being 20/20 I realize now I should have bought the matched set, my base had to be slightly off to the mirror I bought. Because I'm not doing a full resto today I used the base with the mirror loosely clipped in as a template and drilled all the way through the face and then took two longer screws and mounted it up. It doesn't look all that hillbilly, maybe even factory :rolleyes: and I know it will stay up there. The moral of the story if you are in the market for a replacement, get matching pieces to be sure.
Did it have all 3 springs? Also did you originally buy the OEM screws that mount the clip to the windshield?

Did it have all 3 springs? Also did you originally buy the OEM screws that mount the clip to the windshield?

Yes it had all three springs, with three it was impossible to snap it in, with two it would go but barely held on. The base and the screws were already on the windshield and I'm pretty sure they were original.

So within a year or so ago I bought a new rear view mirror for my 74 and new OEM screws. I also had trouble getting mine on and was like WTF! This should only take a few minutes. I thought it was the springs and I was trying to bend the tabs some to get it in place with no luck. I was getting so frustrated I wanted to throw the damn thing across the garage. I also tried using a rubber mallet with no success. I finally realized that the back of the mirror wouldn’t go on the clip because of the OEM screw would let it go any further. I ended up getting some screws with the same size with a different head size. And just like that it went in.

I would try taking the clip off the windshield and attach the mirror and see if it will go on. If it does than it could be the screws.

I seat and push up against the top spring and w/s bracket then push/snap in the angled springs. If that makes sense.

I seat and push up against the top spring and w/s bracket then push/snap in the angled springs. If that makes sense.

I get it and did try that both on the truck and on the bench. Like most of my projects Murphy's Law took over.

I found a nice used , stock rear view mirror for the one that was missing on my 73. This is the one that mounts above the windshield. It is the snap in type and I already had the base mount for it. It also came with a selection of three spring clips to hold it in place. One won't hold it , two stacked does but if you sneeze on it it comes off and all three stacked won't snap in at all. The easy way out is to just drill though the mirror housing and use longer screws which doesn't trouble me too much as I'm not doing a 100 point resto but before I do that I thought I would ask if any one else has dealt with this and come up with a solution that will keep it looking 100% stock, as it sits now the first hard bump in the road and it will pop right out.
I've got a 78 and thinking about going with a more modern mirror that mounts on the windshield glass.

I've got a 78 and thinking about going with a more modern mirror that mounts on the windshield glass.
I had to replace the windshield in mine due to cracks, the PO had done just that and the mirror worked fine. I just decided I wanted the stock mirror, I think both are good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom