FJ40 EXTERIOR REAR VIEW MIRRORS (OEM TOYOTA) (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just installed the telescoping windsheild hinge mounted rectangular mirrors and theyr'e a great solution for topless side veiw mirrors.The only concern I have is that if and when you bump into these mirrors,like I did this morning in my small single car garage that the things swivel right into my nice paint job.
Maybe I'm being anal but I'm trying to figure out some type of rubber bumper to stop the metal to metal contact and save my paint . Any ideas from fellow anal's to stop them from chipping my paint would be appreciated.
Nice having mirrors though!

Low - Not sure exactly how yours are mounted, but I'd probably break the mirror or mirror arm before it would swing into my rig. I have mine tight so they don't vibrate much with the wind while cursing down the road, and they can not swing.

Low - Not sure exactly how yours are mounted, but I'd probably break the mirror or mirror arm before it would swing into my rig. I have mine tight so they don't vibrate much with the wind while cursing down the road, and they can not swing.
I'll have to double check my mounting ,but the way they are now when I bumped into it it went into my windsheild hinge.

A piece of heater hose as a sleeve over the tube should solve this for you.

A tip from my Chinese cousin...

Lo Tec!

A piece of heater hose as a sleeve over the tube should solve this for you.

A tip from my Chinese cousin...

Lo Tec!
Yea ,I thought about that but the way I had them it was the bolthead that would hit first. I just went out and moved the arms to a more upright angle and it may be just that easy. Thanks I'll try the low tec way.

It is Very useful post!
Based on this information we can put the mirrors in the Market order

North America.jpg

General.jpg

Europe.jpg

Japan.jpg

Australia.jpg

Ok I've tried searching but no luck. I will be putting the windshield mount mirrors on soon but won't have the top off all the time. What are you all doing for the holes left in the door from the old (original) mirror mounts?

Ok I've tried searching but no luck. I will be putting the windshield mount mirrors on soon but won't have the top off all the time. What are you all doing for the holes left in the door from the old (original) mirror mounts?
I filled the holes with bolts from the back side with bolts that were locktited down and then smoothed the front.

-Geoff

20160826_152910.jpg

20160826_152940.jpg

Thanks and looks great! I'm not ready for that level yet. Anyone just do plugs of some sort?

Rick... I was pleased to see that I'm not the only one to go "cursing down the road"!!

Think I need to correct my question.
From looking at GAarchitects picture 87902-60030 is the correct number for the short arm but are the longer arms 87902-60020?

DSC05146.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work.

At the moment I'm using mirror arms and heads off a WWII Ford GPW jeep on my 40. The mirror brackets I have bolt onto the top hinges on the doors.

The OEM Toyota mirrors look a hundred times more rugged than the WWII jeep ones, of which I have lost one on the trail already.

Think I need to correct my question.
From looking at GAarchitects picture 87902-60030 is the correct number for the short arm but are the longer arms 87902-60020?

I'm glad someone finally mentioned the different lengths of the telescoping arms (maybe it came up earlier but I didn't see it?) Having measured them, the short arm is about 6 inches (tube section) and the long arm is about 10 inches.

I'm just putting my 1969 FJ45 (Aussie) together and fitted the missing passenger side mirror and arm today. Only then did I realise that it was shorter than the existing driver's side one, and the new mirror was flat not convex. It seems the metal backed convex mirror might still be available (??) but what is the part number for the longer arm? Anyone know?

Having set up the new arm and mirror on the passenger side I had to extend it almost fully to get any kind of rear view and the flat mirror doesn't really help. Easier just to turn and look over my shoulder!
IMG_20170520_215355.jpg

IMG_20170520_215015.jpg

I'm glad someone finally mentioned the different lengths of the telescoping arms (maybe it came up earlier but I didn't see it?) Having measured them, the short arm is about 6 inches (tube section) and the long arm is about 10 inches.

I'm just putting my 1969 FJ45 (Aussie) together and fitted the missing passenger side mirror and arm today. Only then did I realise that it was shorter than the existing driver's side one, and the new mirror was flat not convex. It seems the metal backed convex mirror might still be available (??) but what is the part number for the longer arm? Anyone know?

Having set up the new arm and mirror on the passenger side I had to extend it almost fully to get any kind of rear view and the flat mirror doesn't really help. Easier just to turn and look over my shoulder!
View attachment 1463411

View attachment 1463412

Did you find the correct part number for longer arm? I am too looking for one.

Did you find the correct part number for longer arm? I am too looking for one.

No, I haven't had any luck. I think the same number may have been used for the shorter ones which replaced them

Thanks and looks great! I'm not ready for that level yet. Anyone just do plugs of some sort?
Button head allen bolts in stainless....lo tec but effective

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom