Builds Cruisermatt's FJ62 Build-up (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice work Matt. Funny that the exhaust is too loud for you, and I haven't even heard it. I've considered eliminating my Cat and putting a glasspack on. Mostly just for laughs but how bad could it be? :hillbilly:

Put in a bunch of hours late last night. New plugs, wires, cap, a bunch of vacuum lines and caps, the water hoses that go to the throttle body and IAC, new throttle body gasket, adjusted TPS to spec, pulled the rocker assembly and checked all the head bolts, and checked the valves.
Runs awesome now. The exhaust note calmed down too, it's far tamer.

I also installed a new oil pressure sender (my old sender was probably fine) and gauge in the dash. Good to know I have oil pressure.

Then I swapped the rear diff with an open 4.11 from my spare pile. After a test drive this confirmed my rear diff was the cause of my massive vibration 60mph-up. Pinion bearing was on the way out. So I think I'll pull this diff out and put my locker in it and run it.

Sooo... Now this thing runs 80mph at 2300rpm with zero vibrations. A little bit of gear noise from the NV4500/203. Whatever, I'll put some deadening down. I want some front carpet too, I tossed mine as it wouldn't fit with new raised transmission hump.

Going on an extended freeway run in a few hours for some Rover/Overland thing meetup, looking forwards to seeing how it handles the longer run.

Here's some pictures but nothing special. I apologize for the greasy camera lens. :hillbilly:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:
So do you think that you had something going on that was causing the exhaust to be louder? Or did you just somewhat get used to it....
Hopefully will be getting the new exhaust welded up today for BeBe.

Greg, I bet the exhaust is better because the engine runs a lot smoother. Seems like that would help.

Good work once again Matt. I was looking at the image thinking, how did he pull the third member without taking off the inspection cover, and then I remembered, Full Float! Sweet.

So do you think that you had something going on that was causing the exhaust to be louder? Or did you just somewhat get used to it....
Hopefully will be getting the new exhaust welded up today for BeBe.

Yeah, now that it runs properly it seriously quieted down at idle. It will open up if you put your foot in it but it's not bad. Different muffler dropped to very low on my list of priorities

Greg, I bet the exhaust is better because the engine runs a lot smoother. Seems like that would help.

Good work once again Matt. I was looking at the image thinking, how did he pull the third member without taking off the inspection cover, and then I remembered, Full Float! Sweet.

Yeah, full float 80 rear was definitely my favorite modification, that position has now been replaced by the NV4500. I still love that I can take the diff out without taking the wheels off.

Very well thought out and great work!! Can't wait to see it.
Good call on mount at center of the tranny. It's amazing the number of experienced truck builders that outbound their tranny mounts.
I find myself double clutching with the NV4500 too. Makes for smoother shifts.

EXHAUST

I've been wanting to build a full exhaust for this thing forever and I was finally able to (I previously had a super old 2.5" Man-a-fre cat-back that was rusted out with cats deleted).
Although this new setup is way too loud I'm really happy to not have exhaust leaks anymore and this system is super high clearance.

I up the downpipe sizes to 2" and the rest is 2.5", and because they merge so much sooner then OE more of it is 2.5".

Muffler something cheap from Summit. I want to change it, its obnoxiously loud.

O2 sensor bungs were from LCEngineering.

I made the 2-1 collector myself because I could afford to buy one and I didn't like any of the ones for sale.

View attachment 1338902
View attachment 1338898
View attachment 1338899
View attachment 1338900

DUDE, prime work. Are you gunna use a flex before each manifold dump? What are you gunna charge for those things?

DUDE, prime work. Are you gunna use a flex before each manifold dump? What are you gunna charge for those things?

There's a flex at the first manifold and right after the collector. It doesn't really need both if you take your time and be careful building it.

It also seriously quieted down.

And thanks!!

Very well thought out and great work!! Can't wait to see it.
Good call on mount at center of the tranny. It's amazing the number of experienced truck builders that outbound their tranny mounts.
I find myself double clutching with the NV4500 too. Makes for smoother shifts.

Thanks, you going to Turkey Trot?

Looking good Matt. Hope to see it at GSMTR this year. Need to have an all 60's run.

Ordered some fancy shift boots from JB Fab, so hopefully I can get my triple sticks installed and start testing them. I also need to do some sheetmetal work around the shifters, right now it's all duct tape :hillbilly: Look forwards to that this weekend.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Participated in my local Boy Scout council's annual scouting for food event this morning. Hauled over 200 bags of canned food. I'm guessing about 800-900 lbs based on how much the rest springs sagged :lol:

image.jpeg

Anyways, trying to go wheeling next weekend at the FLCA's annual Turkey Trot event, so the list to get dont before then is:

-Oil change
-re-install rear locker
-finalize triple sticks
-repack/inspect front wheel bearings
-new fan clutch
-re-install winch wiring
-new O2 sensors (hopefully fixes the super rich mixture)
-front driveshaft (make/have made, might just buy tube and do it myself)
-and install my new Tuffy console I got for my birthday!!! most excited about that :)

Time to get to work.. Starting NOW!

Front driveshaft is done, total cost $10 for the tube. Cut it in the middle, put in the mill and drilled some holes for rosette welds, slid a 2.5" tube (.08" wall same as stock) inside, (the ID of our driveshafts are 2.5") and welded it up. Not worried about vibrations as I never run it in 4wd on the road because of the front locker. And usually not more then 10-15mph off-road. No snow here either.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Got my Tuffy console mounted, love this thing. Because of my raised transmission tunnel the armrest sits level with the window sill so it feels like I'm in a throne while driving :)

image.jpeg

Also when I was swapping my rear diff out I noticed something I'd never read about before, the 80 rear diffs have what looks like an oil passage to the pinion bearing that is absent on the 62 diff.

image.jpeg

After I did the 80 rear axle swap last summer I was running and 80 rear diff in the front and the 62 front diff in the rear, the 62 diff broke, I ran it for a whole year with a bad pinion/bearing thinking my driveshaft/geometry was bad, now I have 80 rear diffs front and rear. Which is good because I like that oil passage.

Interesting find, but I'm not sure that's an oil passage. Wouldn't make sense because oil isn't pressurized in the differential, it's only splash lubrication. The drain for the pinion bearings is in the bottom of the carrier. Do you have an extra 80 carrier you can take apart to look inside?

That protrusion was definitely hollow and went to the pinion bearing.

The 80 diff that was my spare is now in the truck. I did find some other interesting differences though. Look at the differences in the carriers:
60/62

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Also when I was swapping my rear diff out I noticed something I'd never read about before, the 80 rear diffs have what looks like an oil passage to the pinion bearing that is absent on the 62 diff.

View attachment 1352505

After I did the 80 rear axle swap last summer I was running and 80 rear diff in the front and the 62 front diff in the rear, the 62 diff broke, I ran it for a whole year with a bad pinion/bearing thinking my driveshaft/geometry was bad, now I have 80 rear diffs front and rear. Which is good because I like that oil passage.

Really odd, because I was pondering this just the other day. Land Cruiser housings were basically the same for decades until the 80 came out and the 80 rear is completely different. The oil circulation is different, the pinion bearing spacing is slightly different but over all it's the same size and shape. I don't know which is stronger or better. I would like to know which one circulates oil better in reverse rotation-as I am running an 80 rear in the front of my FJ60.

Really odd, because I was pondering this just the other day. Land Cruiser housings were basically the same for decades until the 80 came out and the 80 rear is completely different. The oil circulation is different, the pinion bearing spacing is slightly different but over all it's the same size and shape. I don't know which is stronger or better. I would like to know which one circulates oil better in reverse rotation-as I am running an 80 rear in the front of my FJ60.

So it sounds like we both have the same set-up, 80 rear diffs front and rear. I suspect that tunnel on the side of the case that I pointed out is probably always full of oil (assuming flat pinion angle which I have in the rear, stock 62 front housing points it up a couple degrees).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom