Builds 1991 FJ75 moving to America (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That JVC is a nice unit. I particularly like the fact that it does not have buttons or the USB socket on the front like so many of the other 2-DINs on the market.

It does have a USB socket, but it's a dongle that feeds out of the back. I need to find a way to front mount that in one of my switch blanks... so I can use CarPlay more readily. I too like the no buttons... except I do wish it had a rotary knob for quick volume changes. It has a gesture input that works nearly as well as a rotary knob.

Those apple carplay stereos are so handy, but so wrong in an old 4x4 at the same time :lol:

Ha! It doesn't bother me as much in my Troopy. I'd never do it in my 40... but this truck is a tool and the rearview camera and bluetooth stereo are natural additions.

Where did you mount the camera? 😊

I mounted it right above the license plate. It was the easiest solution to run the wire/cable. I figured worst case I could relocate it if I wasn't happy. I'm not doing precision rearward parking operations based solely off this camera, but it's generally resulted in quite a good view. I removed one set of the guide lines (both the head unit and the camera have their own). The biggest thing is that when I'm loaded to the gills for all 5 of us to camp I can't see through the rearview mirror. I'm tempted to add a switch for the rearview so I can have it on demand.

770rearcamera.jpg

Manual Hubs
A few other items of note...

On the last oil change I went ahead and replaced the oil pressure sender. While driving in the snow back in January on a steep uphill the oil pressure light was dimly flickering on me... hasn't happened since. I stopped the engine immediately when it happened.... visually inspected under the hood... and then started up and kept going. Haven't been able to reproduce or observe the problem again. But figured that it made sense to just replace the sender.

760oilsender.jpg

Also, I finally installed manual hubs on the front axle. This has been on my wishlist for awhile and I finally had the funds available to make it happen. It made sense before the upcoming long roadtrip to Solid Axle Summit.

767flange.jpg

768selectable.jpg

769aisin.jpg

They are so pretty brand new! I've only ever had used ones I rebuild. Shiny!

It does have a USB socket, but it's a dongle that feeds out of the back. I need to find a way to front mount that in one of my switch blanks... so I can use CarPlay more readily. I too like the no buttons... except I do wish it had a rotary knob for quick volume changes. It has a gesture input that works nearly as well as a rotary knob.
Before I started smoking cigars in my trucks I mounted the USB's in the ash tray for my 100 series in the US.
1689868985721.png

Here is an album of all the photos.

And in an 80 series I did something similar using an extension from Amazon:
1689869087015.png

The two switches, incidentally, were for forcing the unit to think it was in park and in reverse (red). I did this so I could have a full time rear view from the head unit.

The problem is that I started smoking cigars in my trucks and so the ash tray started to be relevant again. So, sadly, I have no solution to offer you. Just inspiration! When you do your thing I likely will copy it.

Before I started smoking cigars in my trucks I mounted the USB's in the ash tray for my 100 series in the US.
View attachment 3378423
Here is an album of all the photos.

And in an 80 series I did something similar using an extension from Amazon:
View attachment 3378429
The two switches, incidentally, were for forcing the unit to think it was in park and in reverse (red). I did this so I could have a full time rear view from the head unit.

The problem is that I started smoking cigars in my trucks and so the ash tray started to be relevant again. So, sadly, I have no solution to offer you. Just inspiration! When you do your thing I likely will copy it.
Something like this is exactly what I had in mind for one of my switch blanks.

My awning is the Eezi-awn Manta 270. It's been a great awning. We bought it used from @AndrewHadji. The Arizona heat/sun was destroying the cover. So I called up @Equipt and they had a replacement cover, with integral main shade panel, in stock for my unit. It was a fantastic price for a bit of kit that will let me keep this awning maintained... I love kit that is meant to be maintained and not just replaced.

That was last summer... and it needed done then. It only got worse recently.

761awningcover.jpg

762badshape.jpg

So I went about disassembling it... there were no instructions and I was winging it, although it seemed straightforward. I had to disconnect all the main arm brackets from the main back channel.
763disassembly.jpg

I needed a third hand.
764thirdhand.jpg

All swing point were lubed with Boeshield T-9; the zipper was lubed with StarBrite White PTEF Lubricant. I learned about both of these items from folks here... though can't remember who. The T-9 dries up into a nice dry lube that doesn't absorb dirt. The StarBrite is great on stainless hardware to prevent galling... and also as a zipper lubricant. I used it on the old zipper when it got fussy and it worked a treat.
765maintenance.jpg

All wrapped up. Fresh coat of 303 on the outside cover for UV protection. Now I just need someone to help me remount it!
766covered.jpg

Something like this is exactly what I had in mind for one of my switch blanks.
I don't know about you but I use Android Auto and it flakes out randomly but seldomly enough that it is useable. I am semi-convinced it is due to the length of the USB cords. I think on my next one I will two two things: cut the cords shorter and carefully solder them to a USB-C socket instead of the USB-A. Ideally something made of metal and much more durable with pins on the back:
1689873154027.png

or
1689873110608.png

or
1689873352935.png

I like this last one the best.

1024 miles round trip from Phoenix to Ouray for Solid Axle Summit #7. And much of that drive was through some extremely warm portions of AZ. Those miles don’t include the trail riding and exploring of Colorado while there. We’ve put a lot of trust in the Troopy and haven’t been disappointed.

The whole family had a blast and we plan to go again next year. We stayed at a KOA tent site… so pretty close to glamping compared to our normal dispersed setup. Some pics of our time:

Packed up
771packout.jpg

772packrack.jpg

Arriving in camp
773rollingin.jpg

Picnicking at Corkscrew Pass
776corkscrew3.jpg

At Ophir Pass
779ophir.jpg

Riding the Durango & Silverton
783steam.jpg

Cruising with aspens
786aspens.jpg

Chilling in camp
787camp.jpg

More scenic, non-Troopy pics in the SAS thread linked above.

That is a highly impressive trip, amount of stuff, scenery and family! Well done. I also note your use of the Plano boxes ("sportsman trunk") on top. I love those things; cheap, durable and with rollers for pulling through airports. They are more than twice as expensive here than at Home Despot in the US.
1691634694832.png

That is a highly impressive trip, amount of stuff, scenery and family! Well done. I also note your use of the Plano boxes ("sportsman trunk") on top. I love those things; cheap, durable and with rollers for pulling through airports. They are more than twice as expensive here than at Home Despot in the US.
View attachment 3397472
I do like my Sportmans Trunks. I'm using the 56 quart versions without wheels. You can stack them. You can sit/stand on them (rib-reinforced lid). They aren't boogie priced like some other "overland" storage. AND they are made in America.

I'm working on adapting some fittings for more quickly/efficiently strapping them down to the rack. For this trip we took 9 trunks... clothes, pillows, blankets, food stuffs, cooking supplies, dry food stores. That's by far the most we've ever taken. It worked out.

Solar and Jackery
While washing the truck several weeks back I noticed some wear/tear on the solar panel. It's been over three years since I installed it up on top of the truck and it is in the sun nearly all the time. The "paper" inside the panel is yellowing... and there are some cracks appearing in the surface (I think they are in the glass, not the actual cells, though I'm uncertain). Anyone have insight on solar panel damage/wear?

791panel.jpg

I was a little concerned... however, on our trip to CO I was hitting the 90's for my Pmax (maximum wattage generated by the panel). One day even hit 98W... and it's a 100W panel. So still highly efficient and it had no problem keeping up with our refrigeration needs even with many days pretty overcast at times.

789solar.jpg

I bought a 1000W inverter (not pure-sine-wave) some time back to install in the Troopy. I've just never gotten around to it. It's more of a nice-to-half than a necessity. However, I picked up a 300W Jackery unit for my hunting trip last year and had only used it a few times. For this trip it got extensive use. And it has a pure-sine-wave inverter built into it. I have a handy 12V plug at the back of the Troopy it can plug in to and charge from the solar and/or car battery (solar charge controller handles that). It can charge devices and run the inverter while it's also pulling from the charge controller. And it's portable. I'm no longer going to install the 1000W inverter. The Jackery just provides a superior solution.

788jackery.jpg

Last edited:
Also, fun thing about that last pic with the Jackery... my iPhone has the solar controller software pulled up to monitor the solar charge... which is charging the Jackery... which is charging the iPhone. Nerd alert... I know.

While washing the truck several weeks back I noticed some wear/tear on the solar panel. It's been over three years since I installed it up on top of the truck and it is in the sun nearly all the time. The "paper" inside the panel is yellowing... and there are some cracks appearing in the surface (I think they are in the glass, not the actual cells, though I'm uncertain). Anyone have insight on solar panel damage/wear?

791panel.jpg

I was a little concerned... however, on our trip to CO I was hitting the 90's for my Pmax (maximum wattage generated by the panel). One day even hit 98W... and it's a 100W panel. So still highly efficient and it had no problem keeping up with our refrigeration needs even with many days pretty overcast at times.

789solar.jpg

I bought a 1000W inverter (not pure-sine-wave) some time back to install in the Troopy. I've just never gotten around to it. It's more of a nice-to-half than a necessity. However, I picked up a 300W Jackery unit for my hunting trip last year and had only used it a few times. For this trip it got extensive use. And it has a pure-sine-wave inverter built into it. I have a handy 12V plug at the back of the Troopy it can plug in to and charge from the solar and/or car battery (solar charge controller handles that). It can charge devices and run the inverter while it's also pulling from the charge controller. And it's portable. I'm no longer going to install the 1000W inverter. The Jackery just provides a superior solution.

788jackery.jpg
Unless the panel is defective in some way, you should see 25 years out of a decent panel, (and probably still running 80+% efficiency). From your tests though it is still efficient. And the glass on those is pretty tough, so I would be surprised if it was cracked.

That said, I have seen things break in the oddest ways when improper stresses were introduced. IE: were things piled on it (strapped down over it?)

The other thought is when placing these on a surface that may flex could also introduce stresses that are unusual. But from your pic it is hard to tell what those marks might be from.

Say, what monitoring program are you using on your cell phone? I have a charge controller, but it would be nice to get some more stats on everything when testing my multiple appliances.

:cheers:

Unless the panel is defective in some way, you should see 25 years out of a decent panel, (and probably still running 80+% efficiency). From your tests though it is still efficient. And the glass on those is pretty tough, so I would be surprised if it was cracked.

That said, I have seen things break in the oddest ways when improper stresses were introduced. IE: were things piled on it (strapped down over it?)

The other thought is when placing these on a surface that may flex could also introduce stresses that are unusual. But from your pic it is hard to tell what those marks might be from.

Say, what monitoring program are you using on your cell phone? I have a charge controller, but it would be nice to get some more stats on everything when testing my multiple appliances.

:cheers:
The panel is mounted firmly at both ends… which made me a bit concerned about flex in the middle. Those cracks are actually at one end though, not in the middle where there’s any flex. I’ll keep an eye on them.

I’m using the VictronConnect App. My solar controller is Victron and has the Bluetooth dongle… it’s a seamless interface.

A buddy of mine bought 20 acres of property in northern AZ recently. We did a guys campout and work weekend up there and took our boys with us. Drove fence posts, framed up the interior of his shipping container, collected/burned some brush, and did some shooting. Great time with my boys.

792property.jpg

Check out the view behind us... just amazing.
793boys.jpg

Found one of my next projects upon my return...
794rearpinion.jpg

Wow, that looks awesome! Hope y’all had fun.

Leaky pinion seal? Gonna add a locker “while you’re in there”? :rofl:

Happy Holidays!
While I'm in there... :hmm:

Left the headlights on in my 40 the other day... drained the battery down bad. It's an Odyssey so built for deep cycle but this was pretty bad. My battery charger wouldn't recognize it.

As it turns out I've found the Troopy's solar panel and charge controller to be a great battery charger... I just parallel the bad battery and my Troopy battery and it takes care of the rest. They are identical batteries so it works perfectly.
795battery.jpg

I noticed it wasn't grabbing as much charge as it normally does with the sun being so far in the southern sky. I built the mount for my panel to easily facilitate angling the panel. I've just never done it. So I figured I'd give it a shot.

Wattage before angling...
798flat.jpg

After angling... major increase.
799optimal.jpg

Here it is angled upward. When I lowered it back down I reinstalled the hardware with wing nuts so I can more easily do this while remote in the future.

796angled.jpg

797optimal.jpg

Merry Christmas to my fellow Cruiserheads! May your hearts be full of the joy of our Savior, your bellies full of good food, and your garages full of Land Cruisers.

(dropping this pic in my build thread for posterity)
800christmastree.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom