tranny tech 403-thats 4 on the tree! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

All done and back together. Very pleased how the cover turned out. I had some Capri Blue mixed up and stuck in a rattle can so I prepped my front floors and painted the floor and tunnel at the same time. Tunnel looks very factory which was what I was going for. I also made a new shift linkage with heim joints for the shifter gate selector (yes, got hardened shoulder bolts for all of them).
View attachment 3116618View attachment 3116617View attachment 3116619View attachment 3116620View attachment 3116621
Been out of the loop for awhile and so happy to see @65swb45 ideas brought to reality! Awesome job, and thanks for sharing your work with us! Any plans for a kit🤔😉?? Still long for a 5-on-the-tree, but would be interested in a kit if you move forward. Thanks! Brendon

Been out of the loop for awhile and so happy to see @65swb45 ideas brought to reality! Awesome job, and thanks for sharing your work with us! Any plans for a kit🤔😉?? Still long for a 5-on-the-tree, but would be interested in a kit if you move forward. Thanks! Brendon
Yes, the adapter plate is done and ready for production. Waiting on a manufacturer and we should be ready to start getting a few cut and out to cruiserheads. :)
5 on the tree would be a much harder one to make. The early 4 speed top plate lends itself perfectly to adaptation to column shifting. The 5 speed is a whole different beast.

Only way I could see 5 on the tree working is if Reverse and 1st or 5th was in the same gate. There’s just enough room in the column mechanism for the 3 existing gates. If that makes sense.

I know Chase has the adapter ready as he said. I feel the biggest hurdle is the tunnel mods needed to fit the adapter and 3 speed shift mechanism. Not sure if anyone is knowledgeable about making molds but I am sure a mold could be made of my tunnel and then a fiberglass, vacuum formed composite or a 3D printed version could be made? In a previous job I hand made molds for hydro-forming aluminum aircraft panels. They were much smaller than a trans tunnel though.
If someone is interested in that, I would want to run through Chase first (@red66toy) since this is his project and product at this point, I was just lucky to be close and in a position to tackle this.

I know Chase has the adapter ready as he said. I feel the biggest hurdle is the tunnel mods needed to fit the adapter and 3 speed shift mechanism. Not sure if anyone is knowledgeable about making molds but I am sure a mold could be made of my tunnel and then a fiberglass, vacuum formed composite or a 3D printed version could be made? In a previous job I hand made molds for hydro-forming aluminum aircraft panels. They were much smaller than a trans tunnel though.
If someone is interested in that, I would want to run through Chase first (@red66toy) since this is his project and product at this point, I was just lucky to be close and in a position to tackle this.
Thank you for the replies! Will watch for @red66toy to post a kit for sale. I like your idea of the hydro-formed aluminum…..more sturdy and factory looking.
Found some info on HiAce five speed column shifts, but they are all RHD versions…..found a picture of a LHD Spain-spec, but can’t seem to find a parts list for LHD.

7869A904-A5AC-4F55-BF13-9DB93EB7B989.png

A fiberglass hump would be super cool. Its an option that has been at the back of my mind for a while... just was not sure the right execution. I definitely don't have the skills to mod my hump as skillfully as @Skreddy ( :cool:). Based on the interest thread: 4 on the tree adapter interest - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/4-on-the-tree-adapter-interest.1290951/ , most people were interested in just the adapter. If there is enough of a group interest (and I am definitely in this camp) then I think pursuing a group buy for a small batch custom hump would be in order to make it happen. I would imagine that would bring the cost of them down to tangible levels. That being said, I have no idea on how much a custom transmission hump would cost to produce. I would guess some good $$, Anyone have an idea? :)

A fiberglass hump would be super cool. Its an option that has been at the back of my mind for a while... just was not sure the right execution. I definitely don't have the skills to mod my hump as skillfully as @Skreddy ( :cool:). Based on the interest thread: 4 on the tree adapter interest - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/4-on-the-tree-adapter-interest.1290951/ , most people were interested in just the adapter. If there is enough of a group interest (and I am definitely in this camp) then I think pursuing a group buy for a small batch custom hump would be in order to make it happen. I would imagine that would bring the cost of them down to tangible levels. That being said, I have no idea on how much a custom transmission hump would cost to produce. I would guess some good $$, Anyone have an idea? :)
If you zoom in here on the main photo, there is what I assume to be a loose fiberglass tunnel inside of the fiberglass tub - the description says it comes with the tunnel. I suspect modifications would be necessary to make the floor and firewall flanges compatible with the earlier tubs that came with the 3 speeds. Would be worth a chat with Gozzard to talk about rough ballpark costs. I talked to them about their fiberglass replacement caps, and they were great with communication, very responsive.

Initiated an order for 12 of these adapters as a "first" run. I'll update when they are ready to ship! :cheers:

Initiated an order for 12 of these adapters as a "first" run. I'll update when they are ready to ship! :cheers:
Thank you for the update. Count me in when ready. Thank you!!

I’ll put this out there. Anyone that’s interested, on the fence, not sure if the 4 speed is worth it; you are welcome to come ride in mine, maybe even drive it! You can look it over, see the mods, etc.

Most non-cruiser people I’ve talked to about it don’t get it “just put a floor shifter in it”. To me, the 4 speed is a lot more friendly for where and how I drive this and with keeping the bench seat, the column shift is just cool.

Hey all, just wanted to give an update. I am waiting on the manufacturer to whip these adapters out. They gave me a January delivery date. Very excited to finally get these out to all interested people and my own rig! :)

Hey all, just wanted to give an update. I am waiting on the manufacturer to whip these adapters out. They gave me a January delivery date. Very excited to finally get these out to all interested people and my own rig! :)
Thank you!! Let me know if you need any seed money 💰

Holy $&it there is movement on this! I was told they would be made by the end of the week! Very excited. :bounce:

Have my H42 rebuilt by the guru himself, Georg, sitting on the work bench ready rock and roll….I’m so ready for a synchro first gear 😎

Have my H42 rebuilt by the guru himself, Georg, sitting on the work bench ready rock and roll….I’m so ready for a synchro first gear 😎
You’ll love it! Jamming (albeit slowly) 4 gears on the column is awesome!

Fingers crossed they are finished today. Very excited!

waiting.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom