3 on the tree question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So i got ol brutus running today. Runs like an absolute TOP. But I put it in gear, and it will start to move, and then die. I rev it up, and try to drop the clutch and it will sloowwwllllyyy creep. all 4 gears move forward as well. I am just assuming something is stuck. Where do I start?

I'd be looking at the adjustment(s) and bushings in the shifter linkage. R should not make it move forward.

Then look at the hydraulic clutch adjustment at the slave. Your clutch disk could be oil soaked, the throw out bearing could have an issue releasing. Pull the cover and look up in there. Maybe you cave vacuum shift transfer case issues.

I would make sure that everything is moving and the levers are engaging

I'd be looking at the adjustment(s) and bushings in the shifter linkage. R should not make it move forward.

Then look at the hydraulic clutch adjustment at the slave. Your clutch disk could be oil soaked, the throw out bearing could have an issue releasing. Pull the cover and look up in there. Maybe you cave vacuum shift transfer case issues.
you think like some damaged vacuum lines in there or something?

My 72's 3sp is floor mounted with a direct shift for the transfer case. I never fooled much with column shifter and vac transfer stuff - but I have seen problems in both those type systems. I'm thinking something somewhere is stuck half way in/out. R should not make it try and move forward. Yea maybe a drum brake is frozen.

Is the parking brake on?
I checked this lol I engaged it and disengaged it just to be sure. I think tomorrow at work I will pull up some diagrams of the levers, I have a bunch of tubing and crap so I can fanagle something im sure. Do I hit them valves with some WD40 or what ?

I know that some may disagree, but I would see about safely jacking up all 4 wheels and placing the vehicle's axles securely on 4 jack stands. Put the T-case in neutral, assuming that there are no malfunctions with the parking brake, you should be able to spin all 4 wheels by hand. Then put the T-case back in 2WD hi and start engine and place in gear. Observe the rear wheels as you disengage the clutch.

If all else fails, ill just pull it and go floor shifted. Not sure if theres a tutorial for shifter positions in the gears or not but guess we will see

How do you know that it is not the brakes?

How do you know that it is not the brakes?
Well - I dont for sure. When I push it with the FJ, and hit the brakes it stops. But also all 4 gears being forward doesnt really correlate to brakes, but them dragging is a definite possibility. Ill adjust the shoes in a little and see what happens

still confused
3 on the tree
4 forward gears???

If all else fails, ill just pull it and go floor shifted. Not sure if theres a tutorial for shifter positions in the gears or not but guess we will see

chances are that shifter is not your issue,
I like my 3 on the column, it leaves more room in the cab

still confused
3 on the tree
4 forward gears???

According to old Toyota literature you have nine.

Three in 2WD high range
Three in 4WD high range.
Three in 4WD low range.

Defeat what ever Toyota used to prevent 2WD low range and your up twelve.

Add a Fairy OD I believe your up to twenty four but I ran out of fingers and toes before I got that high.

If you decide to go the floor shift route and pull your column shift parts please let me know. I'm in the reassembly phase on my '68 and while I thought I wanted to go floor shift, I kinda think I want to keep it column shift. Problem is, I don't know if I have all the parts. Thanks in advance.

Rich

still confused
3 on the tree
4 forward gears???

chances are that shifter is not your issue,
I like my 3 on the column, it leaves more room in the cab
reverse also moved it forward. 4 forward gears.

II apologize but I do not know what your problem with your trans is but if you do need a 3 speed floor shifter I have one with the shifter I just went back to a 3 on the tree.

I am out of town till monday But I was planning on putting it in the classifieds when I get back.

it seems like maybe its not adjusted correctly with the linkage like its not moving the shifter on the trans plate far enough or somthing.

So despite the almost foot of snow I put a area rug on the ground and slid under there and had my lady shift the gears - there is definitely clicking into all the gears, everything is working as it should (from what I can see on the drivers side section). So the issue is not the linkages. Back to having no idea what the issue is. lol

So have you watched the linkages move? There should be linear motion and rotational R-1, 2-3 and 1-2, R-2. Been a long time since I looked at the mechanism - if it has bushings, make sure there isn't a lot of slop, such as rotted away rubber.

So have you watched the linkages move? There should be linear motion and rotational R-1, 2-3 and 1-2, R-2. Been a long time since I looked at the mechanism - if it has bushings, make sure there isn't a lot of slop, such as rotted away rubber.
I only looked at the one on the drivers side - the vertical forward/back linkage - but could hear the audible clicks. I might pull the tunnel cover off then to look for the rotation

My other half was nice enough to take video for me while I am at work. I feel like more should be happening here but im no expert

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom