Who has a Warn 8274 Winch on their FJ40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had a winch with synthetic rope and it’s the bees knees. I’ll never run steel cable again.

Synthetic is great for a lot of folks. Won't work for me....as I use my winch more for things around the Ranch than recovery. Abrasion and mud (red clay actually) would both be experienced all too often. And yes, I know there are safeguards against those things but steel cable simply eliminates any need for them.

So the original 8274's were rated at 8,000 lbs and were shipped with 150' of 5/16" steel cable. Then came synthetic's and people loaded their 8274's with various lengths of 5/16" and 3/8" rope. Now Warn makes their latest version with an upgraded motor and possibly other items but it is now rated at 10,000 lbs and comes with 125' of 3/8" steel cable to handle the 10,000 lbs. and apparently one with 150' of 3/8" synthetic rope.

s-l1600[1].jpg

Just like our FJ-40's you now need to know the year/model of your 8274. :)

The 9.5XP motor makes the 8274 a real powerhouse; almost double the hp of the original motor. I have pulled some absurdly heavy stuff with mine; it will pull almost anything if the 40 is anchored.

IMG_0858.JPG

So the original 8274's were rated at 8,000 lbs and were shipped with 150' of 5/16" steel cable. Then came synthetic's and people loaded their 8274's with various lengths of 5/16" and 3/8" rope. Now Warn makes their latest version with an upgraded motor and possibly other items but it is now rated at 10,000 lbs and comes with 125' of 3/8" steel cable to handle the 10,000 lbs. and apparently one with 150' of 3/8" synthetic rope.

View attachment 2821251

Just like our FJ-40's you now need to know the year/model of your 8274. :)

Yes, there is a newer version (S) of something like that...that IS rated at 10K and has upgraded line.

But the original 8274-50 still came with 150' of 5/16" cable.

I got mine for -$300! Found a Frankenstein 1972 f250 with said winch for sale on Craigslist ~4yrs ago. Brought it home and pulled the winch off and sold the truck for $300 more then I paid for it. To be fair I had to buy a new controller. Tried the wireless Badland remote, but I eventually went to the stock warn controller.

12354681-39E1-4FEE-87A6-C5E01AAFA07E.jpeg

Yes, there is a newer version (S) of something like that...that IS rated at 10K and has upgraded line.

But the original 8274-50 still came with 150' of 5/16" cable.

These winches costs more than I paid for my FJ40.

These winches costs more than I paid for my FJ40.
You can find them for 200 on Facebook market place. I think I paided 300 full working it’s a 81 I think . I just made me wires and use Anderson connects to unplug when not in use

You can find them for 200 on Facebook market place. I think I paided 300 full working it’s a 81 I think . I just made me wires and use Anderson connects to unplug when not in use
That price is more realistic to me. Thanks.

Wouldn't work for me either.

I can see 150' of 3/8" cable being stuffed on the drum, but from the factory it has always come with 5/16", even the 8274-50.

Somewhere along the line....your's was changed, which is fine. But I'd wager you have 120' feet on it. That's all I could put on mine (3/8").
I stand corrected, I could have sworn it had 3/8" line on it. Its a 8274-50. I use steel cable for the same reasons you do. It gets abused. Rarely do i hook to another vehicle or pull the my 40 out of something.

Last edited:
I stand corrected, I could have sworn it had 3/8" line on it. Its a 8274-50. I use steel cable for the same reasons you do. It gets abused. Rarely do i hook to another vehicle or pull the my 40 out of something.

No matter. 'Now' with some of the latest 8274's there IS a 3/8" cable on them, so the model and year of production dictates what came on them from the factory, but 'most' left wearing 150' of 5/16" cable.

That's a bunch of cable....but I've had situations where I spooled all of it out. It;s especially helpful to have a long cable when using a snatch block. And then a fast retrieval speed is nice to have too....when you have that much line payed out. It's just a great winch IMO.

The only downside I've experienced (owning winches now almost 50 years), is that when your friends learn you have one, they will call you when stuck or when needing something moved. Same is true for utility trailers it seems. Mine stay loaned out/borrowed more than I use them. Oh well............

Last edited:
In the beginning of my wheeling hobby, I had gotten really stuck several times and had to pay to get out. I look at those times as my 1st down payments towards a winch. I soon purchased a Warn M8000 and I was the only one in my wheeling group who had a winch. That winch was constantly used. Later I purchased a used 8274. These days everybody I wheel with all have very capable rigs and all have winches. These days, I get to witness how superior the 8274 is, in comparison to the other winches in our group.

late to the party, but I do :D

Pick a winch based on your intended use not based on looks. The 8274 fits well in the frame horns. If you don't go offroad enough to be in situations where you will get stuck than don't add one. It's just one more thing to maintain. If your using a winch around a farm for moving stuff around a pto or hydraulic winch is a much better choice since they have basically unlimited duty cycles in my opinion. Same with synthetic line vs cable, pick according to your personal use.

not these days....

Sounds good until the vehicle isn't running.
Different strokes for different folks
Pick a winch based on your intended use not based on looks. The 8274 fits well in the frame horns. If you don't go offroad enough to be in situations where you will get stuck than don't add one. It's just one more thing to maintain. If your using a winch around a farm for moving stuff around a pto or hydraulic winch is a much better choice since they have basically unlimited duty cycles in my opinion. Same with synthetic line vs cable, pick according to your personal use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom