40 + 80 = 120 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DSRTRDR

I can mangle anything ...
SILVER Star
Threads
22569E67-5971-4FF0-8235-AC6F221543DA.jpeg

our newest vehicle to date

I apologize for the bad lighting on the picture - I suppose the color is Dorado Gold, interior is tan/ivory

private sale 2004 one-owner dealer-serviced non-smoker Arizona vehicle with 172,000 miles and some small dings - dash replaced - interior very clean :D, side of driver seat needs work

and promptly threw a CEL the day after we got it :mad: - needs the gas cap mod :doh:

everything works, except it's missing the red battery terminal cover, one of the caps on the front passenger seat bracket, and the flip lid on the ACC socket was broken - now I need to figure out how to get the connector and the metal sleeve back into the new ACC power socket :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Congrats. Picture doesn't work. It's showing an "x"

I'm missing the red terminal cover too. Did it come with one?

Get a code reader and post the codes. The same thing happened to me after I bought and I was trying to pass smog. Depending on the code, people here will give you advice.

does the picture show now ?

yes, there's a parts number for the cover for the red terminal, whether the cover is also red they couldn't tell me

code was P0451, with P0446 pending - vehicle passed emissions just two weeks ago

Last edited:
The picture shows now. My battery cover is black with a red + sign. I don't know what those codes are.

CarBattery_01.jpg

congrats

Sweet! Seems like everyone’s hopping on the GX lately. Such a great vehicle for typically little $

apparently, we needed another one :rolleyes:

cruiseninak is transferring to Europe, so his low-mileage GX became available

IMG_0734.JPG

the only problem was logistics:

Clovis, NM is several hours away from any commercial airport (and driving there would take two days) - so we flew into Amarillo, TX, and took a rental car

picked up the GX the next day, drove it and the rental car to the airport in Lubbock, TX - ditched the rental car there - discovered water sloshing around the passenger footwell in the GX - clogged A/C drain tube - Alderson Lexus in Lubbock was willing to sneak us into the schedule - an hour later, they only charged us $49 - first time we came out of a Lexus dealership under $1000 :lol:

stopped in Merkel, TX, to honor our German Chancellor :hillbilly: - stayed the night in Ft. Worth, around the corner from Sewell Lexus, where we got a second key programmed yesterday - Sewell has a sign in the service drive-up "Do not leave Whiskey, Guns or Money in your vehicle" :lol: (forgot to take a picture) - they also have really fancy shopping bags for parts :flamingo:, and I received an OEM gas cap for free :D

we then took the most direct route on the map to Baton Rouge - Michael posted it on the map below :steer:

Last edited:
40 + 80 = 120. So far so good. 40 + 80 = 120 + 120 = 240? Or is it 360? Or, since there's another 80 in the fleet, is it a total of 440?

In any case. We had driven to Fort Worth on the first day of this trip, using the sport setting for the suspension.
Next day, we decided to try the comfort setting - yeah, well.

Little did we know that I-20 between Forth Worth and Dallas has whoop-dee-doos - the GX felt like an old Caddy (or like my '78 LeSabre back in the early 90s...). Back to sport at the next stop...

Fast forward to Hwy 190 in LA: if we were traveling in the '80, I would have considered airing down the tires - I've been on dirt roads that were smoother than that highway. Comfort setting in the GX made all the difference.

There's always something new you find out on road trips...

Last edited:
Jeez, I didn’t know we had to add them all together....

30(half a 60)
+40+40+45+45+70+80+120... technically now I have “LandCruiser 400”?

Oh boy.

So, the white GX decided to throw a code - P0051, bank 2 sensor 1. And it started drinking at the same time; time for a new sensor.
Denso part # 234-4138; that one has the electrical connector. Removal of the old sensor, and installation of the new one went fairly smooth.
My question - albeit fairly academic since I can't get my torque wrench in there anyways - is: where is a good place to look up torque specs for the GX470? For our 80s, I'm used to the FSM - is there one available for the GX? Thanks for the help - michael

so many times now I have gripped the middle of the rear door trying to open either of our GXs (like the 80 series) - I will need to install little red arrows pointing to the lower left :rolleyes:

40 + 80 = 120. So far so good. 40 + 80 = 120 + 120 = 240? Or is it 360?

LOL
so, a few 120s make this old suby 360 :p
subaru_360_1_58.jpg

Welcome! Sweet 470!!

well, now that you are talking clown car, this is the original - from Michael's home state no less:

1957-BMW-Isetta-300-front-three-quarter-with-door-open.jpg

40 + 80 = 120. So far so good. 40 + 80 = 120 + 120 = 240? Or is it 360? Or, since there's another 80 in the fleet, is it a total of 440?

In any case. We had driven to Fort Worth on the first day of this trip, using the sport setting for the suspension.
Next day, we decided to try the comfort setting - yeah, well.

Little did we know that I-20 between Forth Worth and Dallas has whoop-dee-doos - the GX felt like an old Caddy (or like my '78 LeSabre back in the early 90s...). Back to sport at the next stop...

Fast forward to Hwy 190 in LA: if we were traveling in the '80, I would have considered airing down the tires - I've been on dirt roads that were smoother than that highway. Comfort setting in the GX made all the difference.

There's always something new you find out on road trips...

At the next stop? You can change that on the fly.

At the next stop? You can change that on the fly.
Didn't know that at the time, and couldn't find anything in the manual, while driving, either...

It's funny, since the GX is road-only, I haven't felt the urge to "learn" the vehicle, and particularly not before owning it...

Didn't know that at the time, and couldn't find anything in the manual, while driving, either...

It's funny, since the GX is road-only, I haven't felt the urge to "learn" the vehicle, and particularly not before owning it...
Off-road only.
Lol ;)

Off-road only.
Lol ;)
Offroad - unlikely for the SwampGX (the white one...).

And as for the DesertGX, there are 4 modded vehicles in the AZ contingent of the fleet that really are more trail-capable than a stock GX. The GX is for driving something that doesn't have mud tires.

The DesertGX has seen a dirt road in its tenure with us; what followed was quite interesting:

So we run 4 Peaks Road, north of Phoenix, followed by the Apache Trail; a nice, but long & dusty day. Next day: car wash, just to get the dust off. 2 days later: battery dead as a doornail, 5V, didn't like the idea of charging that one. I have a pretty-much-dead (10.7V) Yellow Optima 27F left over, bolt that in, and jump the truck from a leftover Optima Yellow 34/78 (from the Blazer). Drive to Lexus in Scottsdale, warranty on the battery; they say the truck is fine. New battery from Lexus. That battery was dead as a doornail in another 3 days, 2.7V. Claudia, with help from @richardlillard1, finagles the truck back to Lexus. It takes them a bit, but they found a pin had corroded off the ECU - due to water ingress from what is apparently an aftermarket windshield, and presumably, a short at that ECU connector drained the battery each time. Now that truck has a new battery, and a new ECU. And a newly sealed windshield...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom