Has anyone done this to their hood hinges? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IN THEORY this seems like a great idea!! There is someone selling the pull pins and washers on Ebay and I'm curious if it works. Anyone using them?

Screenshot 2024-01-19 at 1.06.14 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-01-19 at 1.06.28 PM.png

Never unless your painting or your garage is not tall enough to swing hood all the way to windscreen.
I have never taken mine off either, flips open far enough to do whatever and I dont have a garage/shop so everything is done outside, come to think of it it has only been in the garage for about a week when I got a new house, 20 years ago.

Looks like something the Jeep crowd would do.

Gas struts and be done with it.

The only time I pulled the hood was when I swapped frames.

At that price I'm tempted to get a pair. The low ceiling in my carport / work space won't allow me to put the hood fully up against the windshield and the hood itself needs some work and welding. When all of that is done I could go back to standard hinge pins again.

Last edited:
Personally, I like the SMG Stainless Steel Hinge Pins for Doors, Window and Hood. @SMG is a great vendor and produces a great product.
I’ll second this. High quality product. Have them on windshield hinges and hood for several years now and they have held up well.

The plastic washers/bushing in my original hinges is toast and I have a lot of slop in my hinges. So I was either going to get some split washers or something to remove all the space. Is there a way to remove the hinge pin, add washers and re-install pin?

Screenshot 2024-01-20 at 12.28.54 PM.png

The plastic washers/bushing in my original hinges is toast and I have a lot of slop in my hinges. So I was either going to get some split washers or something to remove all the space. Is there a way to remove the hinge pin, add washers and re-install pin?

View attachment 3537762
Probably depends on how rusted in they are. I had to drill mine. They should come out with a BFH and a drift pin. If you have to drill them then I’d recommend SMG’s stainless pins.

View attachment 3537762
I’ve seen them rebuilt on mud, but I haven’t done anything with mine. Were I to do it I’d use ‘Oilite bushings’ as I’ve done with my door hinges. Probably replacing the pins with stainless steel Alan head bolts.

These would be the way to go…

View attachment 3537762

An air hammer pushes them out quickly. I replaced my pins without unscrewing them I think

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom