Who has a Warn 8274 Winch on their FJ40? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I bought a running 8274 @$400 one year ago. They're out there, you have to be ACTIVELY looking.

Paid $365.00 new for mine back in 1983.

Newest version will crowd $3K (with tax) these days. :frown:

Sounds good until the vehicle isn't running.
Different strokes for different folks

^^^^

Important for 'self recovery' but @ White Stripe is right. IF you use your winch a lot during a day or for extended pulls (minutes on end) then surely a PTO or Hydraulic is the way to go. I've made pulls with my 8274 for 3+ continuous minutes before letting the motor cool, but NOT at full load.

Over the years I've chained my vehicle off to a tree, ran out a double line (snatch block) and pulled some things that border on abuse of the winch. But She keeps on going.

not these days....

I bought one a few months ago for $75. It wasn't working or complete but it was rebuildable. It was on the front of an older Bronco that was for sale. I called to ask if the owner would sell the winch separately which he did. He first wanted $100, I offered $50, we met at $75. After replacing a few parts, rebuilding, adding the 6 hp motor and Albright contactor I have around $700 in it.

Scan the for sale ads for older Jeeps, Broncos, full size trucks and if a 8274 is sitting on the front bumper call and ask about it.

I bought one a few months ago for $75. It wasn't working or complete but it was rebuildable. It was on the front of an older Bronco that was for sale. I called to ask if the owner would sell the winch separately which he did. He first wanted $100, I offered $50, we met at $75. After replacing a few parts, rebuilding, adding the 6 hp motor and Albright contactor I have around $700 in it.

Scan the for sale ads for older Jeeps, Broncos, full size trucks and if a 8274 is sitting on the front bumper call and ask about it.
searching high and low, CL, Facebook, forums, etc. Have a few leads, so we shall see!

Got them on both of my 40s. They just look “right” on these rigs.
0350090D-968A-4278-830D-7F34470A90A0.jpeg
900CE2C3-387F-4011-990B-DB9C14A1F632.png

searching high and low, CL, Facebook, forums, etc. Have a few leads, so we shall see!

Sheeesh.........$600.00 for a parts winch on ebay.

I have a Warn-branded Belleview winch (ancestor to the 8274) that I am selling for a friend, that I think he will sell fairly cheap - but it weighs a ton and I doubt it would ship well or cheaply.

bought another one this summer for $150 canadian and it came with $150 of metal in the form of a bumper!
24 volts really makes them lively, just run at half cycle or....

Found a Warn 8274 completely rebuilt with New cable, fair lead, wires, and Albright solenoid for $850. Seems like a solid deal and worry free

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom