Who has a Warn 8274 Winch on their FJ40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The FJ40 is made for the 8274, which needs room for its tall (and extremely strong) spur-drive gear case, which is also more efficient than planetary winch gears. They're easy to rebuild and all parts are available, so don't hesitate to buy used. It will last forever.
View attachment 2820391
That picture should be in a magazine. Looks good!

Somehow I feel like buying an old one and restoring it is the best way for our old trucks... I followed the model outlined here by gents like @flintknapper.

$300 off Craigslist... needed some help. Dis-assembled, bead-blasted, powder coated drum, paint matched housing, Crawlorado solenoid cover, Albright solenoid upgrade. Fits the truck.

442winchfront.jpg

Albright solenoid upgrade.

Does this allow for power out as well as power in. Bought a cruiser that came with what I was told was a locally made winch using a military jet engine starter. Haven't even considered using it unless I could figure a way to isolate the ground and making power out as well as power in. Never owned a Warn 8274 and if doesn't power out it's an automatic no go. Have a 6K# Warn on my carhauler, before strapping the vehicle down I winch it as tight as it will go. Even on self recovery had to power the cable out to make an adjustment.

Does this allow for power out as well as power in. Bought a cruiser that came with what I was told was a locally made winch using a military jet engine starter. Haven't even considered using it unless I could figure a way to isolate the ground and making power out as well as power in. Never owned a Warn 8274 and if doesn't power out it's an automatic no go. Have a 6K# Warn on my carhauler, before strapping the vehicle down I winch it as tight as it will go. Even on self recovery had to power the cable out to make an adjustment.
The 8274 powers out and free spools. Its a very fast winch in and out and hold 150ft of 3/8" line. I think it might be the Bellville that doesnt power out. I know nothing about the Bellville except for I sold one in the last century for cheap. It was missing the control cables and brake strap.

Last edited:
The Albright doesn't change the operation of the 8274 at all... just like @pb4ugo says, it powers out and free spools.

The 8274 powers out and free spools. Its a very fast winch in and out and hold 150ft of 3/8" line. I think it might be the Bellville that doesnt power out. I know nothing about the Bellville except for I sold one in the last century for cheap. It was missing the control cables and brake strap.

That makes sense. Couldn't see a winch that didn't power out as well as power in being that popular.

You are correct. My Bellview does not power out. Free spools out, powers in. Probably one of the design changes Warn did. Bellview is a real good winch and there are still parts for it.

There are reason it's offset to the right? Saginaw power steering?

Originally It had sag p/s out frt, it now has scout steering on it. I also over compensated the room I needed, so it's a little more to the right than a normal setup. I use the winch a lot for pulling over and dragging out trees. Being offset more, helps when I need to butt up against a standing tree to make a hard pull. It originally was a miscalculation, but has since worked out perfectly.

Last edited:

Don't know about synthetic line, but it holds 150' of 5/16' aircraft cable. I had a Belleview a zillion years ago and really don't remember that much about it....except the 'brake' on it sucked. I want to say it powered out but didn't free spool. But that might not be right.

Don't know about synthetic line, but it holds 150' of 5/16' aircraft cable. I had a Belleview a zillion years ago and really don't remember that much about it....except the 'brake' on it sucked. I want to say it powered out but didn't free spool. But that might not be right.

When I bought mine the 8274 came with 150' of 3/8" line on it. I have no use for synthetic rope.

When I bought mine the 8274 came with 150' of 3/8" line on it. I have no use for synthetic rope.
curious as to why no synthetic rope.

i rebuilt one i bought for $500 and came with a brand new 9.5xp motor. just needed a rebuild kit and the correct spur gear plus upgrades to albright and have a beautiful winch now. probably $1000 cad into it total. now i just have to finish building my 40 so i can install it.

8CDBDA70-9DA0-4E22-AA65-560BB034E7FB.jpeg
D7EAC732-52CC-4C96-ACCE-8080BCC262E6.jpeg

Last edited:
curious as to why no synthetic rope.

i rebuilt one i bought for $500 and came with a brand new 9.5xp motor. just needed a rebuild kit and the correct spur gear plus upgrades to albright and have a beautiful winch now. probably $1000 cad into it total. now i just have to finish building my 40 so i can install it.

View attachment 2821126
Man, I want to do the 9.5xp motor as well. Just can't rationalize it given the motor I have works so good.

Agreed... why no love for the synthetic line? The cable that came with mine was kinked and had a few birdcages starting... so I tossed it and after pricing things out went with synthetic.

I had a winch with synthetic rope and it’s the bees knees. I’ll never run steel cable again.

Wouldn't work for me either.

I can see 150' of 3/8" cable being stuffed on the drum, but from the factory it has always come with 5/16", even the 8274-50.

Somewhere along the line....your's was changed, which is fine. But I'd wager you have 120' feet on it. That's all I could put on mine (3/8").

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom