Adding winch? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spool the winch all the way out, mind the starting wraps. Hook it to a rolling load, such as pulling a car up a grade (or on the flat with someone gently riding the brakes). Wind the winch cable in using like an old ax handle to steer the wraps in place. Have a buddy with a big can or many tubes) of water resistant grease using heavy duty leather gloves to lube the cable as you spool it in. I like Mystic JT-6, you can hardly get that stuff off you hands with gasoline.
Great tip @charliemeyer007 good to know…. Next time your around the east coast…I have a job for us 👍

another 1982 w/ WARN 8574 PIO ( Port Installed Option )

1711507942446.jpeg

1711508279668.png

This MOTOR trend Comprehensive step by step how to article , is new to me , its bad to the bone TOYOTA FSM like ....

LINK BELOW :

1711508486206.png
:confused:

1711508460085.png
:D:beer::beer::beer:

Why on earth would you put a winch on with no intention of ever using it?? To make your car look cooler??
Possibly the stupidest thing I've read here in a while.
I guess you have never thought of increasing the value of something you own.

that is the beauty of individual choice….if this is what you want and can do by all means go for it. Both my FJ40 and FJ45 have winches. The most “exercise” they may see is helping someone else out of a situation. I’m not planning to get stuck but it does happen. 1n 1975 I was with a friend in the back woods in Vt and slid into a ditch. Had to walk into town about 9 miles to get a tow truck and pull out my fairly new FJ40.

Driver was the gas station owner who said…” oh hell, I had fun…$10.00 for the tow”… had we been further out I could still be walking or digging 😂
The event below was real… the Bronco was not going anywhere and no one was around. I had the shovels and chains, a hunk of wood etc.

IMG_6703.jpeg

Why on earth would you put a winch on with no intention of ever using it?? To make your car look cooler??
Possibly the stupidest thing I've read here in a while.
Probably for the same stupid reason you wanted to add a 4WD light on your BJ42 dash that didn't come standard

Last edited:

dude !

you don't want this to happen to your 82 and not have your 8274 ........

do you .?

Sadly, my 82 FJ40 is a garage queen and probably will stay that way as long as I own it (barring an EMP attack). Last year I added a new set of Japanese springs and OEM shocks and there is no lift.
I have a Warn winch and brackets etc. that I have debated installing. My questions are: (a) What effect does adding a winch have on ride height? (b) Does adding a winch increase or decrease vehicle value?

i thought this is good on-topic tech for you to know and know now

you can't
do this and operate your WARN 8274 & 82 at the same time ....fyi

Sadly, my 82 FJ40 is a garage queen and probably will stay that way as long as I own it (barring an EMP attack). Last year I added a new set of Japanese springs and OEM shocks and there is no lift.
I have a Warn winch and brackets etc. that I have debated installing. My questions are: (a) What effect does adding a winch have on ride height? (b) Does adding a winch increase or decrease vehicle value?

below are ALL your WARN oem toyota parts diagrams ,

please make the time to take the time , to save these to your desk top hard because , if you have them there , well ..there they are when u need them

Everyone , including myself all Voted in a PM , and it was 100% all Yea 's ...... your keeping the warn 8274 now , the membership voted so now you have to keep it

matt :cool:
m
1711536662892.jpeg

1711536690819.jpeg

1711536748212.jpeg

i also made you your new
MUD AVATAR logo ,

what do you think ?

i think its you ....but that's just me ...
..👨‍🎨

1711536941046.png

That is a nice looking rig.
Next

it is your AVATAR LOGO image

see how i have my TEq Parts Mascot ....BANDO , the black squirrel

all you have is the base default model D in a tan box , the D is the first letter in your USER ID ...

time to have a motivational image to take you in a new and bold path on your 82 and your 8274 into the wild ....

your thread title is now answered , it answered itself , you did not have to and that is a neat thing .... so seize the moment , you can always change

later anytime ,

i have always been a OEM factory steel wagon wheels person since day 1 , don't forget that they were factory standard equipment in 1982 .....

they look sharp , and fly , especially with the OEM period correct center caps on the rears .....

see below :

1711539987984.png

1711540097148.png

Thanks for the info. I am not sure what model winch I have and will check. I attached a couple of photos of my 40.

View attachment 3591795

View attachment 3591796

Looks like you have a very nice 40. I'm curious to see what Warn winch you have. When i purchased my winches, I've never considered if they were going to add value or not. My purpose for the winch was to use it and which one could i afford at the time and would it work for my needs.
I've always purchased Warns and i eventually was able to upgrad to a couple of 8274's many yrs ago. I think there are only 2 winches that would add value, an 8274 or a pto, because of their design and expense. I believe the pto has its limitations in some real off road situations. It's your 40 and if you like the looks of a winch go for it. When someone mentions value, I always wonder if they're getting ready to sell.

New winches need to be respooled, but I never heard of greasing the cable.

Last edited:
PTO winch was not an option in the US market after 1/79. The routing of the exhaust on the 79 and 80 models blocked the PTO winch driveshaft path. 8/80 the transfer case changed to a split case which requires a different PTO. Those were were not imported. here are three of the PTO used on the 40 series. Upper left is the one piece transfer case and most common PTO in the US. Other two are off of later split case transfer case. Upper left is for the 8/80-9/82. 10/82 with the start of the H55F five speed the shifter moved to the front side like the bottom one. for an 82 the Warn is the obvisious choice. Would have to crazy or a fool to try and add a PTO to th later models.
IMG_20191229_172509044.jpg

The Toyota and Warn connection is interesting an subject. The controller that was used in the 80s looks more Toyota than Warn. At some point Toyota started making their own electric winches.

I am of the unpopular opinion that there is only 1 type of winch that increases value, the OEM PTO winch in proper working order. Everything else is aftermarket. The 8274 is a great one, I sure would not mind having one, but there are many stronger units available these days.

You have a beautiful Land Cruiser. Make sure you even need a winch first and not just a bumper ornament. I have had one mounted on my 40 for nearly 20 years now and have never needed it off road. It does make an excellent stump puller though.
That would be the "correct" winch.

Does adding a winch increase or decrease vehicle value?
For many of us, the ship has long since sailed on the idea of "adding value." There is such a wide gulf between perfuming a modification on these rigs and being able to recoup the investment. For many of us, we have reconciled to the fact that owning one of these trucks is a hobby, albeit a very expensive one. We do things to our trucks because we hope to improve their functionality or appearance regardless of the notion that the "improvement" will be reflected in a future selling price. The law of diminishing returns.... I suspect that most of us just don't care what some future buyer may think after we are gone.

There is no future in gasoline, enjoy it while you can. The NWO wants there to be very a limited number of common people who will own nothing, live in controlled cities...
They will accomplish their goals by wars, rumor's of wars, fear, manipulation of voting, data, education, entertainment, never ending vaccinations while poisoning the air, water and food supply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom