What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (40 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pretty amazing how well the bread trick works to get the input shaft bearing out of the back of the crankshaft. One bolt, electrical tape, a hotdog bun and hammer. Thanks to the experts for posting this in the 40 Forum! Now just have to get the new one in. I hear freezing the bearing and heating the race area help with insertion. It's going to be 100 in Houston this weekend so I have plenty of heating.
IMG_8152.JPG
IMG_8153.JPG

Chasing down small things. Wiper linkage investigation revealed an important metal component missing on my truck. My windshield frame assembly was missing this part so fabricated one and attached it with the OG JB Weld. (I do not like using this stuff but if there was ever an application for it this was it).

Then installed jack handle extension brackets.

E5A1E524-C8D0-4479-A15F-F7A25587F414.jpeg

47FA8431-965C-44F1-BB3F-6C9C22C09601.jpeg

D8584BA6-6D0F-4F52-9390-EE13CB98FAD2.jpeg

799BC6AE-BE56-4ED1-BE81-10A4D106DA03.jpeg

BC78A82D-540F-4630-BC04-90A0C8A2AEDB.jpeg

I had envied those new 2F alternator tensioners I've seen lately. Was hesitant to buy one as i do not have a Toyota alternator. It's a Herr. When i swapped in the 2F block, i did not have the upper bracket or tensioner. So i made my old late F alt bracket fit.
Just pounded it between two rocks until it sorta fit. Then used a crowbar to adjust the tension.
Then i heard, after i asked, that i could get a good used one locally. So i did. (Thanks @pardion)
Simplicity itself to install, had to fiddle with bolts & washers & stuff. Probably should grind down the mount a little to make it perfect.

20220607_170405.jpg

20220607_175727.jpg

20220607_175746.jpg

I had envied those new 2F alternator tensioners I've seen lately. Was hesitant to buy one as i do not have a Toyota alternator. It's a Herr. When i swapped in the 2F block, i did not have the upper bracket or tensioner. So i made my old late F alt bracket fit.
Just pounded it between two rocks until it sorta fit. Then used a crowbar to adjust the tension.
Then i heard, after i asked, that i could get a good used one locally. So i did. (Thanks @pardion)
Simplicity itself to install, had to fiddle with bolts & washers & stuff. Probably should grind down the mount a little to make it perfect.

View attachment 3028087

View attachment 3028088

View attachment 3028089
Not good to run the belt at that angle... will wear out prematurely

View attachment 3028087

View attachment 3028088

View attachment 3028089

I’m puzzled how belt alignment like that helps keep the power steering from throwing belts. Why can’t they all be aligned at the same time.

I’m puzzled how belt alignment like that helps keep the power steering from throwing belts. Why can’t they all be aligned at the same time.
Perhaps Toyota-san did not envision Saginaw pumps on his early 2F block, i dunno.
I tried various iterations, with spacer, without, different belts & different pulleys, shimming funny.
I am not a guru. We all know that.
One run i tossed and or shredded 3 power steering belts.
This is the best i can do without professional help or starting a thread about it

Perhaps Toyota-san did not envision Saginaw pumps on his early 2F block, i dunno.
I tried various iterations, with spacer, without, different belts & different pulleys, shimming funny.
I am not a guru. We all know that.
One run i tossed and or shredded 3 power steering belts.
This is the best i can do without professional help or starting a thread about it

Start a thread. There has to be a way around that problem.

No, certainly not ideal. A compromise i made to keep the power steering from throwing belts
Grab some spacers to space the Alt back and then make a bracket to anchor at the head where the ground is. You’ll need to have the ear extended for the tensioner.

I’m no expert either… I’d consider running a press on double pulley on the Saginaw pump. Or perhaps just a single press on pulley. The benefit of the press on ones is that they can be pressed on deeper or pulled back to align better. I bought a rebuilt core of a Saginaw pump for $46 CDN in store, so they are cheap enough. Mine was for a 3/4 ton Chevy pickup and has excellent pressure. Palm steering while stationary on dry pavement with 33x10.50s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom