What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (43 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So, did it pass your partner's inspection?

Oh yeah. The quote was "That's amazing. Now I won't have to wash my hair after every trip in your Cruiser.".

It'll still take a few days for all the saturated materials to completely finish outgassing but man, how I was enduring it for this long is troublesome. Maybe I'm addicted to gasoline?;)

@Living in the Past thanks for checking. The spacer has a gasket on each side making it simple to install with FIPG. This version (spacer with gaskets) has Toyota Part # 90923-06010.

View attachment 3025072

Waiting for close to a year for Star Link. Until then I just use my phone. Pictures being smaller are to tell the details. I knew the your original pump didn't have a isolator and wanted to be sure your replacement had one. Years ago I bought my replacement from a auto store chain called Checker. Cost of the pump was dirt cheap. It was the inconvenience having the failure that was a pain.

Thanks to Jimmy (@Birdhead) for refurbing the wheel that originally came with my LC. (Before and after)

@LOPsCruiser

222D15A0-0FBD-49FB-A802-53CF54261DAA.jpeg

78607D62-1E8E-4714-AE46-7F178C6AC25C.jpeg

Last edited:
WHAT'S IN THE BOX???

WhatsInTheBox.jpg

The other day at the Memorial Day car show, I watched a little girl, about 5 years old, face plant into the rims of a 2014 Dodge Charger, and proceed to bleed everywhere. (Don't worry, she was fine, just needed some gauze and they actually stayed at the show). As it so happened, I was standing next to the passenger side of my FJ40 at that time. I glanced down at my old PO fender flares and thought: Thank you God that she didn't trip over here! (that broken edge is SHARP!)

FlareBusted.jpg

So, I decided right then and there what my next project was. Summit had 30002-07 BushWhacker Fender Flares on sale for $235, exactly the same flares that were on there from the PO. BushWhacker has made very little changes to these flares in the last 30 years. The old ones were smooth and glossy, and the new ones are textured and matte. But all of the holes are in the exact same places :)

FlaresMatch.jpg

It was easy to drill out all of the old aluminum rivets. I had planned to use some fancy "RivNuts" to mount these, but after looking at the supplied self-tapping screws, I decided that they would suffice. So the PO definitely cut the sheet metal, but he did a fairly decent job. I cleaned it up with some soapy water and then dried it and applied fluid film.

FlareRemoved.jpg

Mounting the new flares was pretty easy since I already had holes in the right place. All done, what do ya'll think? (Yes, I did the driver side too, to match.)

FlareNew.jpg

WHAT'S IN THE BOX???

View attachment 3025497

The other day at the Memorial Day car show, I watched a little girl, about 5 years old, face plant into the rims of a 2014 Dodge Charger, and proceed to bleed everywhere. (Don't worry, she was fine, just needed some gauze and they actually stayed at the show). As it so happened, I was standing next to the passenger side of my FJ40 at that time. I glanced down at my old PO fender flares and thought: Thank you God that she didn't trip over here! (that broken edge is SHARP!)

View attachment 3025503
So, I decided right then and there what my next project was. Summit had 30002-07 BushWhacker Fender Flares on sale for $235, exactly the same flares that were on there from the PO. BushWhacker has made very little changes to these flares in the last 30 years. The old ones were smooth and glossy, and the new ones are textured and matte. But all of the holes are in the exact same places :)

View attachment 3025509

It was easy to drill out all of the old aluminum rivets. I had planned to use some fancy "RivNuts" to mount these, but after looking at the supplied self-tapping screws, I decided that they would suffice. So the PO definitely cut the sheet metal, but he did a fairly decent job. I cleaned it up with some soapy water and then dried it and applied fluid film.

View attachment 3025515

Mounting the new flares was pretty easy since I already had holes in the right place. All done, what do ya'll think? (Yes, I did the driver side too, to match.)

View attachment 3025522
Looks better flareless but the new one look better than your old one

Looks better flareless but the new one look better than your old one
I agree. If the sheet metal were not cut, I would have just left them off, but it's cut pretty severely. The kicker is that Real Steel Cruiser Parts has the metal patch for $250, so I should have just bought that. But then I would have to weld or pay for welding. Putting the flares back on just took a phillips head screwdriver, so I can handle that. Long term plan is definitely to repair the fender cut and make it like Toyota intended, but for now it's slightly better :)

The accelerator pump plunger that came in the Aisan rebuild kit I bought from SOR isn't too great. I've been chasing some fuel delivery gremlins, the most reliable of which became regular hesitation off idle. The rubber seal around the plunger folded over on itself a bit and affected that initial plunger action vacuum. Works fine now, but the plungers at City Racer's place look like they'll be a lot more reliable. I'll be getting one of those.

@Racer65

I'm sure I'm not the only one who needed this. ;) Not cheap, but good for the next 40 years.

1654532628607.png

Last edited:
The accelerator pump plunger that came in the Aisan rebuild kit I bought from SOR isn't too great. I've been chasing some fuel delivery gremlins, the most reliable of which became regular hesitation off idle. The rubber seal around the plunger folded over on itself a bit and affected that initial plunger action vacuum. Works fine now, but the plungers at City Racer's place look like they'll be a lot more reliable. I'll be getting one of those.
I got a plunger and a rubber boot for it with my CityRacer order too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom