What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (29 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

E36D3CB4-2E83-4CBB-A51D-BA49D67ABE69.jpeg

Wife had some cookies made by another cruiser head’s wife. Only if my FJ40 looked this dope.

Rebuilt the front drum brakes on Blue. New cylinders and shoes, wheel bearings, and cleaned up the 6 spline warn hubs. Pressed in new studs as well. Bled and Adjusted per the FSM, but the drivers side rear kept locking up. Tried adjusting, no dice. Pulled the drum off and had a disgusting surprise. Already started on rebuilding the rears. Experts : does this look more like a blown wheel cylinder goo or axle seal?
DAD2A985-827D-4FDC-B647-D98D87DC50C3.jpeg

5D11E003-A1FB-4AC4-8E84-E081B27737EF.jpeg

I thought the same thing when I saw @rkymtnflyfisher post that picture. Almost like they were patina'd in the same way. lol
I actually did a double take when he posted the picture, like is that my 40?:cautious::hmm:
But I can assure you my bezel is right side up.
The obvious differences are the tow bar and brush guard. Your mirrors are painted but the wiper motor cover even has some patina similar to yours. I guess I am going to have to ask you if you have any proof of where you were on the day rkymtnflyfisher took that picture.

The obvious differences are the tow bar and brush guard. Your mirrors are painted but the wiper motor cover even has some patina similar to yours. I guess I am going to have to ask you if you have any proof of where you were on the day rkymtnflyfisher took that picture.
The real question should be why did @rkymtnflyfisher photoshop his 40 in this picture? Everyone knows @rkymtnflyfisher only posts picture of his rig on the river fly fishing.

Finished one fender(ish) and picked up my other bumper from the collision place… they didn’t do anything after 2 weeks.. fixed my own dent in 15 minutes. Not happy. If you need body work done in Tucson Arizona, don’t go to diamondback collision!!! 0 stars! On a good note, I’m getting better and more comfortable with doing my own body work.

741DB082-D3D7-41BB-827E-524542122227.jpeg

610BB376-2AB1-441F-879F-D637FC14C0E5.jpeg

Stuffed some OEM badges on.

20210720_183231.jpg

20210720_183241.jpg

Shot some paint.

20210721_230406.jpg

Started reassembly.

20210723_002208.jpg

I'm really liking the Grey/Black/Gold hinge color scheme.

20210722_211353.jpg

Drove it into town to go to the pharmacy today; felt a funny but small rhythmic vibration at 65 mph, like a wheel weight had come off. Shrugged and kept going, until one of my BFG KM3's de-laminated. Limped home at 25 mph; didn't want to change a tire on the narrow shoulder of that Farm-to-Market road.

View attachment 2733136

I had liked those tires until today; guess I will try something else this time.
Jeez scary. I WAS considering some KM3’s but may be reconsidering…….glad you are ok!

Drove it into town to go to the pharmacy today; felt a funny but small rhythmic vibration at 65 mph, like a wheel weight had come off. Shrugged and kept going, until one of my BFG KM3's de-laminated. Limped home at 25 mph; didn't want to change a tire on the narrow shoulder of that Farm-to-Market road.

View attachment 2733136

I had liked those tires until today; guess I will try something else this time.
What were the temperatures like on that day? Could some excessive heat from the roadway and ambient temps have contributed to that failure?

He was actually stopped at a BBQ joint. A crappy BBQ joint, but still. We skipped the phony, tri-tip smothered in sauce, BBQ, for the better option of local cold beer.
I like the way you think Ryan👍 🍻

Jeez scary. I WAS considering some KM3’s but may be reconsidering…….glad you are ok!

Thanks.

I may be putting new BFG's back on, they're the only thing my son-in-law (in the retail tire business) can get in 33x10.5x15; everything else is back-ordered/out of stock. :meh:

What were the temperatures like on that day? Could some excessive heat from the roadway and ambient temps have contributed to that failure?

Good point, and I have had tread come off before (in a different vehicle 40+ years ago) on I-80 in Wyoming on a super hot summer day - but our summer has actually been unseasonably cool this year. Perhaps from Rustybouquet not being here to constantly give us The Research? At any rate, it was only in the high 80's that day.

I think the biggest contributing factor was the age of the tires, 12-13 years. I got my money's worth out of them for sure, and was looking at replacing them soon just for tread wear anyway.

Last edited:
I think the biggest contributing factor was the age of the tires, 12-13 years. I got money's worth out of them for sure, and was looking at replacing them soon just for tread wear anyway.
I better check my date stamps, I've had my KM2's for a long time

Making progress on my resto/build it like I want it/I’ve lost my mind kinda thing…. Installed the Centerforce clutch and flywheel kit. Hopefully will have the motor in and secured for the final time here shortly!

DFED570C-F235-463B-8E11-2E1B20A32684.jpeg

C6F2F2EF-5338-4F64-85DE-0ECF68E1D53D.jpeg

DA904EFB-9775-4AE5-BF61-028F837FBE41.jpeg

1CA84037-CE59-412E-8465-D19318B68542.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom