What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (46 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Took the old girl camping at Gold Lake this week. We putzed around a lot and actually did some light wheeling in the -40.

IMG_0246.JPG

IMG_9089.jpg

IMG_3692 2.JPG

IMG_9090.PNG

IMG_9097.PNG

So what's going back in?

Just a new clutch and a cleaned up trans and transfer case.

My clutch was hammered and the pilot bearing was in pieces.

It had a heavy shudder when I released the clutch I figured was a burned flywheel but after pulling it down it was all of the above. Hopefully the PO didn’t drive it too much like that so the tranny output bearing didn’t suffer too long.

211FA5F0-D5A2-4019-BA17-E49C4A252C4D.jpeg

56A591B7-1700-4F6A-A03B-15004CAAEAF9.jpeg

Just a new clutch and a cleaned up trans and transfer case.

My clutch was hammered and the pilot bearing was in pieces.

It had a heavy shudder when I released the clutch I figured was a burned flywheel but after pulling it down it was all of the above. Hopefully the PO didn’t drive it too much like that so the tranny output bearing didn’t suffer too long.

View attachment 1739769

View attachment 1739770
My '84 FJ60 is due for a new clutch after 182,000 relatively hard miles. The rear main seal is due for replacement, the steel drain pan works well to contain. The amount of oil leaking picked up quite a bit after the fuel pump failed and contaminated/thinned the oil with gasoline. Less volume now after an oil change. Good luck with the cleaning, a lot of grease/mud/grime on there.

The cruiser made it 600+ miles through hail and wildfires to Steamboat and back, and my old man and I made it 40+ miles hiking on the continental divide trail. I do love the red rock desert but it's nice to come back home to the Colorado mountains occasionally.

I replaced the transfer output seals hours before the trip so I was extra paranoid checking for leaks and temps.
wueybnq.jpg

XW6RNLt.jpg

i took the 2 rolls of carpet and one roll of pad off my frame where i set it in a hurry about a month ago cleaned up the rest of the summer out of the shop (boat stuff garden stuff fishing stuff) and found out my old battery box wont fit around my 5.3 a.c. compressor :bang: that's sucky i really was planning on using that and oh ya tried to install my PTO drive shaft i guess i should of done that as i was stabbing the tranny cant seem to get it to slide in guess i will have to slide the tranny back to fit it anybody else have a better idea:hmm: i also put the brace on the drivers side of my radiator and tightened the bottom studs :)

@dogfishlake Have you put your new hinges on yet? I meant to ask you last weekend at the get together thing, but there were so many mud names to decipher while learning real names...

No, I haven't. Kinda nuts because I have had them long enough. Actually I almost lost them. One of the guys was cleaning and asked me if he could throw away "a bunch of junk" and at the bottom of the box were my hinges! If I was just powder coating them they would be done already but I want to match my original paint and that is my hold up. Probably oughtta finish my half done half doors too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom