Repainting 80 Series?! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for as many opinions as I can get.
Apologies if this thread is in the wrong place, but hopefully I can still get some solid replies 🤙

I have a 1991 80 series Landcruiser (Sahara model) that desperately needs some paint work as nearly every panel has clear coat peeling and paint fading.
I am looking into whether I wanna get it resprayed professionally or whether to Raptor-line (tint-able version as close to same colour) it at home.
The car is in decent condition apart from that, original motor, only 200xxxKM, and I use it only as a weekend car.

Main questions are:
>is it worth getting a +$5000 respray if it’s just going to get damaged on the first trip

>Does raptor lining affect resale value? I have read some people say yes because it hides rust, would this matter if the paint was say 5 years old when I went to resell it?

>any other suggestions or ideas are welcomed

*some other information that might matter

-The car is used more for touring than a bush-badger, however it does see the occasional track
-I am not expecting to sell the car for at least 5 years, however I would expect to not add more than 50,000km before then, so far would be still under 250xxxKm at this stage
-I know I definitely want to fix the paint somehow, so doing nothing isn’t really an option
-I would raptor line it myself at home, and am somewhat of a perfectionist so I would spend a lot of time making sure prep was perfect before spraying.
-Car was actaully resprayed by a shop in 2009, after paint was damaged during Black Saturday bushfires, however said shop has closed now. (Wonder why 🥴)

image.jpg

Last edited:
IMO, yes bedliner does affect resale value negatively. A lot of people just don't like the look, and maybe half the buyers out there will pass on your truck for this reason alone. As you mention, it can also be used to hide shoddy body work (although it's easy enough to hide shoddy body work behind paint as well).

Maybe you can sand off the remaining clearcoat and give it a really good clay/polish/wax and see what the raw paint looks like before you invest so much money?

It really depends on your taste and the market. I don't know for sure how many Land Cruisers there are down under, as a percentage of the wheeled population, but it's a really small part here in the states. Our opinions might not help you much, but that probably won't prevent them from coming. ;)

In the states, the lack of available Land Cruisers tends to color the "acceptability" of a used model. If they were as plentiful as rabbits or cane toads, we might be more picky.

All the red Raptor Lined ones I've seen turn into a shade of pink over time.

Lovely...

Have it painted but remove everything for the paint shop before-hand to save labor time. As mentioned some people have just had the clear coat resprayed
with good results.

Definitely do not put any sort of bedliner on it, the body panels would be worthless to a salvage yard. Those vehicles end up in the crusher to be melted into rebar.

Last edited:
Why not paint it at home? You can buy single stage paints from aftermarket auto parts places like Summit Racing or JEGS (not sure what you all have down in AU like that). They are inexpensive and easy to reapply. If you scratch it up too bad just paint it again. You can probably find a color close enough to the factory.

I wanted raptor line my 80 but once you bedline you can't go back. I sanded off my clear coat and went the rustoleum rattle can ultra flat route. If I ever decide to sell it the next owner can paint it any color they want. Very easy to go back to the original antique sage paint. Rattle can turned out great with LOTS of prep work. I don't worry about scratches. Its easily fixable. I sandblasted my 1971 FJ40 to bare metal before painting it 16 years ago. I tried a different approach with my 80. My K.I.S.S approach. Just have fun with it.

20191123_161148.jpg

20191127_140144.jpg

20191203_135812.jpg

20200103_111501.jpg

20200103_111330.jpg

There's a guy on here who does pro-quality paint jobs in his garage. Can anyone point to his Mud handle...? EDIT: Oh wait, you're in Australia... For those NOT in Australia, guy is @kelly saad in Arizona.

Last edited:
This guy did a bang up job on his own.

Vain 80 owners are the 4th and 17th signs of the apocalypse.

While we're at it--how about some more links to other DIY painting threads?

Some DIY stuff in this thread, despite the title...

Don't have air, spray gun, respirator? Fear not; this guy painted his Corvair with a roller...
Rickwrench, Alfa GTV, Falcon Squire, Corvair

Last edited:
I raptor lined mine and love it! Still gotta do the top and an
Wonder which color. I like the red but May do sand. I do a lot of driving by piñon and juniper trees (tore my antenna out...ugh) and the raptor liner has held up great. If I was just running trails without scratching I’d probably would have kept it regular.

D8FA0C97-CC28-40B6-9AB5-B2A6B80414D0.jpeg

C20C3F2A-02BA-480B-9DCF-0E7CA396B063.jpeg

E1598F99-0CC5-4BD5-A7D8-425589C90B08.jpeg

If you want to spend several hundred in paint guns, filters, and a good compressor (if you don't already have one) then definitely give it a try painting yourself. Prep work is the most important. Getting it slick before priming takes time but well worth the effort. Practice on some scrap metal to dial in the guns first and see how you should sand/polish it. Even if it only lasts 5 years you've saved yourself a ton of money upfront. I just painted a replacement liftgate that turned out pretty good for the first thing I've painting with HVLP guns.

If it’s a beater and will continue to be, Bedliner seems like a good choice. It will fade eventually. Personally, I’d rather have a cheap respray over bed liner. Just seems like a headache if damage the body or have to replace a panel if bedliner is used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom