Builds Powda Blue 74 Build - Tilda Bogue Service Station (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When are we gonna hear that baby fire up?

Ha. I’m getting there.

Ordered the Tom Woods shafts today. That usually takes a week so I have until then to get everything buttoned up and running in the shop. All this stuff looks fairly easy but I’ve got about 25 shop hours in this since I picked up the engine.

Did not get but a few hours on this today. Day job back to work stuff…..

I buttoned up the cooling system. Added a new heater valve. OEM clamps of course. Ran PCV and brake booster hoses.
4697EB5C-8C0A-474E-97A6-B5D2CCC4DF92.jpeg
25E08DB8-43E7-4FDD-A7F7-16173E4B9E37.jpeg

Added the Denso plugs at .040 gap and Live Wires
B0EA6432-EDFB-48FC-A836-96CC837D7571.jpeg

New OEM antenna
9FCDB904-0FA4-4F5F-A269-4B28A81255A6.jpeg

I’ll start wiring it up tomorrow. Still plenty to do before the Driveshafts arrive. They shipped them already. Crazy great service that place…..
FAFE2BD0-23B5-45CE-BEFC-25D12EF25DA3.jpeg

Wiring and looming.

Sniper is fully wired. Throttle cable and O2 sensor (exhaust) from firing

Stereo is wired

EPS and H4s permanently wired

Fuel pump wired and lines run

Clutch Master installed. Still need a line from master.

We getting close. Shafts arrive Monday afternoon. Goal is to be ready to bolt those in and drive.

1786EACD-A1F4-4A5F-BE0C-18815048A2BA.jpeg

Wiring and looming.

Sniper is fully wired. Throttle cable and O2 sensor (exhaust) from firing

Stereo is wired

EPS and H4s permanently wired

Fuel pump wired and lines run

Clutch Master installed. Still need a line from master.

We getting close. Shafts arrive Monday afternoon. Goal is to be ready to bolt those in and drive.

View attachment 2886292
You're photo raises a question I had in my head about 80 series master cylinders after reading through another thread recently. In your knowledge/experience, are ALL 80 series master cylinders to be plumbed rear port to front brakes and front port to rear brakes? Or, does this only apply to disc/disc drums? I'm getting ready to install a disc/drum 80 series master cylinder from city racer on my '71 with disc/drums, and I don't want to cross up the brake lines to the incorrect ports. I was planning rear port to front brakes and front port to rear brakes like you have done.

I have always done them front next to the booster and rear away from it. I’m not sure the reaction you would get going the other way.

I have a bunch of trucks that I’ve built with this setup from light 40s to my old super heavy FJ55 and I’ve never felt the brakes to be inadequate

I’ve seen them plumbed both ways. When bleeding my master in the truck (1991 80 series), lines running back into reservoir, rear port started moving fluid sooner than front port and continued moving the same volume once front port started. To me, that meant front brakes are rear port. I researched it to death. The longer you look, the more differing opinions you’ll find. Mine stops great.

I have always done them front next to the booster and rear away from it. I’m not sure the reaction you would get going the other way.

I have a bunch of trucks that I’ve built with this setup from light 40s to my old super heavy FJ55 and I’ve never felt the brakes to be inadequate

My '80 40 is setup incorrectly, knowing what I know now, and is 80 series disc/disc non-abs master with 4runner calipers in front and montecarlo out back. It's been years since I drove the truck, but I was never really impressed with the brakes, this may be why... There is another disc brake thread I was just reading and he is setup incorrectly as well, but reported being happy with the brakes. Its hard to imaging much being different port to port unless it was a disc/drum master and had different internal residual pressure valves for each port. Each piston get the same throw and the bore diameter of every master I've disassembled has been one continuous diameter so I can't see the volumes displaced being different through either port. Maybe smarter minds than mine will enlighten me if I'm wrong.

My '80 40 is setup incorrectly, knowing what I know now, and is 80 series disc/disc non-abs master with 4runner calipers in front and montecarlo out back. It's been years since I drove the truck, but I was never really impressed with the brakes, this may be why... There is another disc brake thread I was just reading and he is setup incorrectly as well, but reported being happy with the brakes. Its hard to imaging much being different port to port unless it was a disc/drum master and had different internal residual pressure valves for each port. Each piston get the same throw and the bore diameter of every master I've disassembled has been one continuous diameter so I can't see the volumes displaced being different through either port. Maybe smarter minds than mine will enlighten me if I'm wrong.

Now you have me questioning myself. Hell I could have this one wrong. Let me go look at my 45

I think I have this one backwards. The only stock stuck on my property has rear next to the booster.

Must not matter on this particular master much because it looks like I’ve done it both ways looking at my photos of other projects.

Sorry for the confusion.

I think I have this one backwards. The only stock stuck on my property has rear next to the booster.

Must not matter on this particular master much because it looks like I’ve done it both ways looking at my photos of other projects.

Sorry for the confusion.
Not trying to toss you off course or question your work in any way - I was genuinely surprised when I read the rear port to front, and then your work here confirmed that statement. As long as she stops proper, it doesn't really matter.

Not trying to toss you off course or question your work in any way - I was genuinely surprised when I read the rear port to front, and then your work here confirmed that statement. As long as she stops proper, it doesn't really matter.
Man s***, I make plenty of mistakes. Trust me.

I got this one wrong. I just looked. All mine are opposite this. Thanks for pointing it out. I have to crack into the bled system for the line lock anyway. The Motive Bleeder makes it all so easy too

I recently had a tow truck pull out in front of me while shaking down an 81 FJ40. It was insane how fast the rear end tried to come around on me during the panic stop. The PO had the thermostat installed upside down so i’m assuming he has the lines at the master crossed as well. This is the first thing I’ll be addressing once the salt is washed away.

Don’t go to swapped lines. That’s probably not your issue.

First, what’s the setup? Master…disc/drum…disc/disc…..

Likely you need a proportion valve.

Don’t go to swapped lines. That’s probably not your issue.

First, what’s the setup? Master…disc/drum…disc/disc…..

Likely you need a proportion valve.
Everything is stock, Disc/Drum. I haven’t torn into it yet. Truck is in the owners garage until spring.

I have two set up with front going to prop valve and the rear brakes,(both drums) rear port to front brakes.
In the republic of Delaware we have State Inspections where they test brake bias. Both are right on the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom