Builds Pippy's 97 CE Build Thread (Now with TURBO) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

While I’m waiting for dyno day I’ve been keeping myself busy with things that have been sitting in my shelf for way too long.
CE6D615B-C23E-4117-8C8E-BA745F8EBD73.jpeg
A0788210-E334-4EF1-B6EE-E2FAB1808B57.jpeg

Dual battery set up with Bluesea acr and a shut off switch with a custom bracket.

Today I changed the oil and installed this:
C24BCE46-E21C-4A75-B672-2FD07E924980.jpeg

1D7A4488-CEE8-4C60-93C1-666C97AEB458.jpeg

Oh lord what have I gotten myself into…

A863A906-A562-46B1-998E-9A7DC75685FE.jpeg

Not too bad, just a little scary. All ready to go back in.

So did you end up re-using that original carpet?
Is your dash a darker gray than factory?

<cough> <cough> about those dyno numbers.... :flipoff2:

<cough> <cough> about those dyno numbers.... :flipoff2:
lol working on it! My tuner moved shops which delayed things several months, then when I finally got it on there had some fuel issues that have been hard to chase down. He says he expects 350hp easily if we can get the fuel sorted out.

After a year of sitting, I got back after it recently.
I had a nightmare of a time with my transmission after screwing up my transgo install. Replaced that one with a used transmission. Going to try the transgo kit again but also strongly considering a h152f swap.

Then fueling issues plagued me forever. Fuel pump resistor, crappy napa fuel pump, clogged fuel line, and on and on. Replaced the fuel pump with a Walbro 255, Added a rising rate fuel regulator, and switched the fuel return to use the vent line that runs to the charcoal canister as it was clear. The return line is 100% blocked. Will be replacing all of them as soon as I work up the courage to drop the tank again.

Rebuilt both birfs, serviced the diffs, sand got some wheels!
IMG_3564.jpeg

Now it’s on to painting and cleaning up all the dents and dings.

IMG_3705.jpeg
IMG_3710.jpeg
IMG_3694.jpeg
IMG_3715.jpeg

This will be an ongoing process

IMG_3731.jpeg
And today, I went for round three on the dyno! This time I finally had some success!
My exhaust manifold was leaking badly before. Some thick squishy gaskets took care of that (my flanges had warped slightly and also the oem ring type gaskets just weren’t doing the job).

With fueling also sorted, it did pretty good, making 275hp 364ft-lbs at the wheels before the restrictive stock cats and small exhaust became too much. Driving it is a riot now, but there’s still much to do. Need an alignment, going to fab up a new 3” exhaust, fix some clunks and squeaks. But at least it runs and is pretty close to reliable!
IMG_3716.jpeg

sweetness dude, congrats on those numbers!!!

Pardon the newbie question but why not the Supra fuel pump instead of the Walbro? Also, may I see a pic of the rising rate fuel press reg installed? Second question is doesn't the Haltech ECU control the fuel pump to the desired fuel pressure or does the OEM FPR prevent that from happening?

Last edited:
Here it is. I used an off brand supra pump from napa before just to get back on the road but after a few months of sitting it froze up and stopped working. I think it also didn’t like the hi-lo control that the stock ecu uses. I installed the walbro which pumps more fuel and ran it straight off the haltech through the stock circuit opening relay so no more hi-lo nonsense to contend with.
IMG_3437.jpeg

Here it is. I used an off brand supra pump from napa before just to get back on the road but after a few months of sitting it froze up and stopped working. I think it also didn’t like the hi-lo control that the stock ecu uses. I installed the walbro which pumps more fuel and ran it straight off the haltech through the stock circuit opening relay so no more hi-lo nonsense to contend with.
View attachment 3568650

Thanks for the explanation and the pic. I love that it has a built in pressure gauge port. I wonder if I should follow suit to feed my turbo......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom