Builds LX450 where to start! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok well guys I thought I would start a thread on my fairly newly acquired 1996 LX450.

1996 LX450 with 135,000 miles. Champagne with original plastic trim colored line-x'd body.

Replaced with OEM parts
- Valve cover gasket
- Spark plug gaskets
- Distributor o-ring
- PCV hose
- spark plugs
- spark plug wires
- distributor cap
- rotor
- Air intake tube
- PHH replaced - silicon hose and constant tension clamps
- Cooling System flushed
- belts replaced
- P0401 and P0402 fixed
- New OEM water pump
- New modified Blue Fan Clutch
- Radiator cap
- Fuel tank cap
- All new synthetic in engine, trans, transfer and axles
- O2 Sensors
- Window glass channels

- *NO LOCKERS

The Good
- Slee front bumper
- Warn Winch
- Metaltech Sliders
- 4x4Labs rear bumper
- Custom Aluminum Roof Rack
- OME 2.5" Heavy
- Clean body no dents
- Clean interior, except some wear on driver's seat and steering wheel
- (5) almost new 315 Duratracs
- Line-x'd body
- (2) Rigid Industries 10" Specter lights
- Slee headlight harness
- New custom Stereo with Focal Components, JL Sub, JL Amp, Alpine Headunit
- Fully dynomat'd interior
- Tuffy Security Console
- Scanguage II
- 4x4Labs cargo holder
- LED rear lights
- Upgraded headlight bulbs
- Wagongear Tailgate
- All interior lights replaced with LED's
LXr1.jpg

Last edited:
sounds like a solid truck...my son drives a 97 lx....he bought from a guy in our club...we have done the spark plugs...phh...new starter...new ac compressor...base lined the fluids and keep it maintained...had to replace drivers side window motor...need to find a sun visor for the drivers side....it is currently in the shop..we are replacing the rear main seal...and the front crank seal and oil pump gasket....it is one tuff truck....we have an ipor rear swingout...and an arb front bumper with winch...we also added some of motts lights....looks nice and has been a great truck....173000 miles and going strong!...good luck with the lx

osagecruiser

Half k,

No it won't be loud and obnoxious I am way past that part of my life. I actually pulled the entire interior to lay down sound deadening material. I also wanted to pull the center console and the worthless subwoofer and 6 disc cd changer and replace it with a Tuffy console to lock things up.

The stereo will be pretty tame
Alpine Head unit
Focal separate front speakers and coaxial rear
JL Audio amp and single JL 10 sub.

Holy hell, where did your interior go ? I can only imagine you are making that vehicle into something loud and obnoxious like the ones that drive down my street late at night.

Osage,

Glad you mentioned it, I also need to fix the AC, it looks like a fairly common problem but the expansion valve is dead and I need to pull the dash apart and get at it.

I do think that it will be a solid truck once I finally catch up to all the problems. I think part of the downfall of having trucks that are so damn tough is that people just drive them without even thinking about any of the maintenance being done. When I was talking to the PO he was so proud he had just had the radiator flushed. I asked him what color coolant he used and he said he didn't know a mom and pop place did it. I pulled the cap to the overflow and it looked like mud. I told him he needed to go back and get his money back. lol.

sounds like a solid truck...my son drives a 97 lx....he bought from a guy in our club...we have done the spark plugs...phh...new starter...new ac compressor...base lined the fluids and keep it maintained...had to replace drivers side window motor...need to find a sun visor for the drivers side....it is currently in the shop..we are replacing the rear main seal...and the front crank seal and oil pump gasket....it is one tuff truck....we have an ipor rear swingout...and an arb front bumper with winch...we also added some of motts lights....looks nice and has been a great truck....173000 miles and going strong!...good luck with the lx

osagecruiser

LX

You will find the LXis a very solid rig, mine just hit 115k all base lined and I retrofitted factory lockers. (Not That hard) I was just transferred to San Antonio and should be moving in the next few months, looking forward to hooking up with the locals.

my son is attending school out in western kansas...his mom and i feel safe with him in that vehicle.....he has been educated well by the boys of tornado alley about vehicle maintaince....we are confident he will have this vehicle for many years.....here is a pic of jakes lx...taken while he was playing ball in clemson this summer
003.JPG

oh and i still have a fj55 project going out in the shop!...might just have it wrapped up by summer!

osagecruiser

FL,

There isn't really much of a Locals group. I moved here from Denver and before that Washington DC and both places had a great community. Take a look at Alamo City LC club here on the site there are a few people there.

Welcome to SA.

You will find the LXis a very solid rig, mine just hit 115k all base lined and I retrofitted factory lockers. (Not That hard) I was just transferred to San Antonio and should be moving in the next few months, looking forward to hooking up with the locals.

I also just got an LX 450. So far I love it. I came over to the Cruiser side after a Range Rover Classic. Talk about cost of ownership. If anyone complains about their LC costing so much to maintan should buy a Land Rover and compare!
Anyway, enjoy!

I would like to know how much % of the Cruisers owners around the globe do what we do to our cruisers .. ( like pulling all interior )

Valve cover pulled, valves checked, vc gasket replaced, spark plug gaskets replaced, PCV replaced, PCV hose replaced, spark plugs replaced, spark plug wires, replaced, distributor cap replaced, rotor replaced, intake hose replaced, water bypass hoses replaced. I am going to have a new engine bay at this rate.
valve.JPG

Haha Tapage, I know what you mean. This isn't anything new that hasn't already been done by most of the guys here I am just documenting it encase I have to sell it or something happens.

I would like to know how much % of the Cruisers owners around the globe do what we do to our cruisers .. ( like pulling all interior )

Does your LX have any factory sound deadening sheets on the outer door skins/panels? Do you plan on adding Dynamat there?

Looking good! Now all it needs is a GM LS1 motor and trans :D

I actually haven't pulled the door panels off yet, but I am going to be dynamat'ing the inside of the doors as well. I am also using another sound dampener over the top of the dynamat it is a Mass Loaded Vinyl barrier with closed density foam attached.

I have a problem... I don't know when to stop. There is no reason to add $$ of sound deadener and $$$ stereo to a 16 year old truck. Oh well, I need to get off of Mud you guys make things expensive!

Ryan

Does your LX have any factory sound deadening sheets on the outer door skins/panels? Do you plan on adding Dynamat there?

Sound deadening is in, covered from tailgate to firewall with Dynamat Extreme, then from the raised floor of the second seats back to the tailgate I used Second Skin Audio's Mass Loaded Vinyl Barrier (Luxury Liner Pro), its a vinyl pad with a dense foam attached to it. I can tell you that the dog certainly approves! He thinks it is like a dog tempurpedic.

The rest of the day will be spent changing the pre-filter sock on the in tank pump and then pulling off the factory roof rack and all of the plastic cladding. Next week the rest of the stereo install and then off to get the roof and the trim lines line-x'd
jindo.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom