Turbo build and Restoration - 97 3x Locked (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NKP Garage

Forever Learning
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.youtube.com
My wife was not happy when I showed up with it. She says it's like I'm collecting stray dogs. She's talking about land cruisers of course.

My current 97 LX is up on Bringatrailer finally As of today! 1997 Lexus LX450 - Https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1997-lexus-lx450-47/

I picked up my next toy yesterday from an owner in Kyle, TX. I overpaid for it given the condition. But I think it has good bones. There's lots of maintenance that has been put off by previous owners that needs attention, and it needs some major cosmetic love. The photos look way better that it really is in person.

Some things that I know need attention so far are:
- front axle and birfields
- valve cover gasket
- radiator, water pump, thermostat, coolant hoses, heater control valve, and related hoses and clamps, etc
- oil pump gasket/oring
- I think front main seal needs replacing.
- needs all three belts replaced
- interior needs a LOT of love
- dash is cracked, not sure if I want to mess with that or not. Thinking about it
- and I'm sure I'll find more as I get into it

The good:
- triple locked, and it all works flawlessly
- OME J lift with caster correction, and dampener. and it actually drives well
- new tires and an extra set of OEM wheels
- new ARB front bumper and a badlands winch and lights that's installed but not wired up
- rear tire carrier, not sure if I like it. May sell that setup
- no rust and has only had 3 owners

As per my usual routine, I'll be documenting the build in detail along with lots of videos. I'll start with a full video of the current state of affairs in the next few days. Wish me luck!!

PXL_20220210_235235287.jpg
PXL_20220210_235202146.jpg
PXL_20220210_235158986.jpg

Last edited:
Would not have paid whatever they were asking...with a JEGS sticker on it. lol
The roof rack bolted to the factory rails is comically dangerous. Hope that's a re-do.
The rear tire carrier is actually not a inexpensive kit. Not sure I like it either tho. Adds a bit of overhang.
Otherwise nice rig. 👍

Would not have paid whatever they were asking...with a JEGS sticker on it. lol
The roof rack bolted to the factory rails is comically dangerous. Hope that's a re-do.
The rear tire carrier is actually not a inexpensive kit. Not sure I like it either tho. Adds a bit of overhang.
Otherwise nice rig. 👍
Agreed on all points. Some not so great decisions were made by previous ownership. I'll be addressing it all one by one.

well I purchased my lx450 with 203000 on it it now has 280. Love it . Did all the hoses and belts fixed the oil leaks and such .It has been very dependable, which is more then i can say for 2004 tj rubicon that I sold with 75000 miles to buy the Lx. Much happier now

It will be interesting to see what else you find and how it turns out. Looking forward to watching the progress.

Looks like a good rig and like you said has some good bones. How are those Cooper tires as far as road noise?

Looks like a good rig and like you said has some good bones. How are those Cooper tires as far as road noise?
They wobble a little. But they may be flat spotted from sitting for a while. When I get some of the baslining done I'll try to get them rounded out again and see if they balance out better.

I have the same tires. They moan. But I've driven worse.
I had Ironman's once years ago on a 100series. They were the worst I've seen.

Oh and...I'm no expert on snorkels but...the head on that thing is enormous.
lol
What else you keep in there?

lol
Dude. Ya... Yes....... I may take it off completely. I hate snorkels.

lol
Isn't that the Toyota snorkel? I think those are expensive or unavailable now. I actually like the look more than the Safari/knock-off versions.
The paint and body on that rig look really good. I love that color combination. I'm also not an ARB bumper fan, and the spare carrier is silly to my eye.
It looks like a great rig.

Isn't that the Toyota snorkel? I think those are expensive or unavailable now. I actually like the look more than the Safari/knock-off versions.
:meh: It could very well be. No idea.

The paint and body on that rig look really good. I love that color combination. I'm also not an ARB bumper fan, and the spare carrier is silly to my eye.
It looks like a great rig.
The color is fine. Bit there is so much in the way of blemishes on this rig. It needs a lot of love... And I'm going to do my best to give it to her!!!! ;)

The color is fine. Bit there is so much in the way of blemishes on this rig. It needs a lot of love... And I'm going to do my best to give it to her!!!! ;)
So to speak. Love it. Same color combo as my 97 back on my farm. The Wilco tire carrier is just fine for anyone who doesn’t wheel hard and can afford to have low things hanging off the rig. It’s also a good temporary measure while waiting for a rear bumper w/swing outs. They’re solid too so if you get rid of it, sell it for a solid deal. Plenty of people seem to use them as an in-between solution.

Looking forward to this build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom