2017 LX570 - Back again in another 200 - Ownership log and Build thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NKP Garage

Forever Learning
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.youtube.com
Well, I couldn't stay away very long. I made it almost 1 year without an LC/LX to daily drive. Sold our 2009 LX570 in August 2022 (11 months ago). I sold it to purchase a 2004 Hummer H1, which I still have. But quickly found out that its not a good daily driver. Then got a 2021 GMC Sierra AT4 in April 2023 (just 3 months ago). Got tired of the Sierra pretty quickly, and now I'm back in an LX.

This time a 2017 LX570. It's been just a couple of days, so I'm still learning my way around the differences and quirks in the 2016+ LX570 versus my previous ones.

And like every one of them the last few years, I'll use this thread to keep track of the experience, mods, repairs, and what I run across. At first glance, I hope to keep this one for a couple years at least.

356881451_10159361259212470_3213856182956217511_n.jpg

356879122_10159361258902470_1928155233598324766_n.jpg

Here's the video from a couple days ago when I purchased it, along with a very long rant about my brief GMC Sierra ownership. Take it with a grain of salt, it's just my opinions...

Here is my first glance overview of the new-to-us 2017 LX570, the obvious flaws I am seeing on day 2 without diving to far in yet, and some initial impressions.

-

Last edited:
I'm surprised to see all of the "leather-feel" coating on the interior of this LX570. I guess that is something they started doing in 2016+ models? I always hated that in our BMWs we have owned over the years, kind of disappointing to see Lexus doing it as well.

Luckily the door handles are still in great condition, but the shift knob is peeling and the silver section is a little scratched. Poked my head around the interwebs and found some that look identical in shape on Amazon. They're only $30 so I pulled the trigger and got one ordered. I ordered the carbon fiber look knob, but they have a silver one as well. Still trying to decide if the CF looks out of place or not in the interior. Thoughts?

This is the exact one that I purchased;

Here's the install video if you need a visual to replace yours. Takes maybe 60 seconds to swap out the shift knob, super easy, and well worth the $30 to get rid of the worn our shift knob:

-

Last edited:
You don't have to convince me that anything GM will leave you utterly disappointed and embarrassed lol. Welcome back to the fold and slip in a pic of the H1 when you get time.

You don't have to convince me that anything GM will leave you utterly disappointed and embarrassed lol. Welcome back to the fold and slip in a pic of the H1 when you get time.
Thank you! :) And agreed.

The H1 is fun to drive. And gets surprisingly good MPG on the 6.5TD. But lack of comfort and lack of good AC that performs like a modern vehicle should makes it tough to daily drive, particularly in Texas summer heat. But it is fun every now and then. I put it up for sale recently to make room for another Toyota project once the H1 is gone ;)

IMG_0603.JPG

IMG_0610.JPG

Thank you! :) And agreed.

The H1 is fun to drive. And gets surprisingly good MPG on the 6.5TD. But lack of comfort and lack of good AC that performs like a modern vehicle should makes it tough to daily drive, particularly in Texas summer heat. But it is fun every now and then. I put it up for sale recently to make room for another Toyota project once the H1 is gone ;)

View attachment 3366802

View attachment 3366803

Nice! Looks like you might have visited Mod Mafia for a few upgrades haha. I've always wanted one but my time in with Uncle Sugar showed me everything I need to know about them lol so it's very unlikely that I ever bother. I've had a Pinzgauer and a LMTV as well and both were very short lived for similar reasons but they all look cool as hell haha.

Nice! Looks like you might have visited Mod Mafia for a few upgrades haha. I've always wanted one but my time in with Uncle Sugar showed me everything I need to know about them lol so it's very unlikely that I ever bother. I've had a Pinzgauer and a LMTV as well and both were very short lived for similar reasons but they all look cool as hell haha.
Agreed. It was on my bucket list of cars to own eventually and has been fun. But I'm ready for something else now that I got the H1 bug out of my system

Welcome back and look forward to your mods and perspective on this model year.

Gotta get the basics out of the way first. Front area storage is non-existent on these trucks. I love the Cool Box, it was on the short list of requirements as I was searching for another LX. But it definitely needs the little storage bin upgrade to be more useful. For those of you with LX570s that have not added one of these bins, I highly recommend getting one so you can actually make good use of your storage in that spot.

They are $15 on amazon. The best $15 you'll spend on your LX if you have a "Cool Box": https://amzn.to/43usRQZ

And as usual. Here's the video. I know, it's super simple, but you guys know I like sharing these things with y'all !! :)

-

Yes, the tray for the center console was the very first thing I added to ours.

It was the first thing on my list as well. Turns out the prior owner had already bought one.

I added a cabinet pull to it for easy removal after seeing someone else do it here. Recommended.

It was the first thing on my list as well. Turns out the prior owner had already bought one.

I added a cabinet pull to it for easy removal after seeing someone else do it here. Recommended.
Good idea on the cabinet pull. Never would have thought of that.

Can the LX570 tow? I can tell you from experience that it tows, and tows extremely well. Here's my first glance observations on how the 2017 did yesterday in comparison to my old 2009 LX570 and my recent GMC Sierra AT4 1500.

I have been towing this boat and trailer combo for a couple of years now. I Towed it with our old 2009 Lexus LX570, with a Ford F250, a 2021 GMC Sierra AT4, and now with a 2017 Lexus LX570. People look at me funny sometimes when they see me casually backing it into the water at the boat ramp. They get their cameras out waiting for a QualifiedCaptain moment. But to their disappointment, the LX570 does great, even with a large boat and trailer combo like this.

In this video I just do a short 3 mile drive from the storage facility to my house with the boat in tow, and share some preliminary thoughts on how it did.

A 3/4 ton or 1 ton diesel truck definitely has a leg up on the LX570 and does better. But when it comes to any 1/2 ton truck or large SUV, the LX570 is by far the most capable towing vehicle I have come across in the last 10yrs. Nothing else has come close.

I will do a more comprehensive towing review later on along with real world MPG, more in depth notes and hints on usage of AHC while towing, and best practices while towing with the LX570.

-

Been chasing an odd issue with the air conditioning the last few days. It had me stumped until today. I should have kept it simple with the old saying K.I.S.S. (keep it simple, stupid). I was looking for all sorts of other issues when I should have just started with the basics.

This right here is exactly why I try to do all the simple maintenances myself. Can't trust anyone, not even the Lexus/Toyota dealerships.

Symptoms:
* When starting the LX570, the AC would take 1-2 minutes to start blowing air, or sometimes it would not come on at all.
* Even when the AC would come on after a couple of minutes, it would not keep the same settings from the previous drive. It would sort of reset back to some sort of default.
* No matter if I set the AC to recirculate for inside air, or to the fresh air setting for outside air, I occasionally smelled exhaust fumes from cars in front of us.

It was driving me a little crazy, particularly with the Texas heat this summer. Sitting in the car for a full minute or more waiting for air to start blowing is not fun in this 100+ degree weather.

So pulled the cover to the filter and found the issue. Some dummy at the dealership messed up the recirculation door when they were changing the cabin air filter. That makes sense why I kept smelling exhaust fumes from cars in front of us. But what I did not know is that the delayed AC startup, or no AC coming on at all sometimes was due to the recirculation flap not working. Apparently it goes into some sort of self-test cycle on every startup, and when it does not sense the recirculation flap in the position it is expecting the AC control computer freaks out and doesn't know what to do.

Next steps? Pulled the glove box. Inspected the mechanisms, the arms, the hinges, etc... Luckily when dumb dumb at the dealership forced it open he/she did not break anything. Only the actuator arm/lever slipped off of the recirc flap hinge thingy.

I was able to get it all fixed, tested, and put back together in less than an hour. If I wasn't filming the whole process for you guys It would have been maybe 25 minutes.

Waiting for all the video clips of my frustration to upload so I can put the video together for y'all. I'll get it up later tonight hopefully.

In the meantime, if you have stinky exhaust smells in the cabin that never seem to stop. OR if you have an AC that seems to come on after a long delay, never comes on at all until you push a button, or if it loses its settings at every startup, this next video will be helpful for you.

Been chasing an odd issue with the air conditioning the last few days. It had me stumped until today. I should have kept it simple with the old saying K.I.S.S. (keep it simple, stupid). I was looking for all sorts of other issues when I should have just started with the basics.

This right here is exactly why I try to do all the simple maintenances myself. Can't trust anyone, not even the Lexus/Toyota dealerships.

Symptoms:
* When starting the LX570, the AC would take 1-2 minutes to start blowing air, or sometimes it would not come on at all.
* Even when the AC would come on after a couple of minutes, it would not keep the same settings from the previous drive. It would sort of reset back to some sort of default.
* No matter if I set the AC to recirculate for inside air, or to the fresh air setting for outside air, I occasionally smelled exhaust fumes from cars in front of us.

It was driving me a little crazy, particularly with the Texas heat this summer. Sitting in the car for a full minute or more waiting for air to start blowing is not fun in this 100+ degree weather.

So pulled the cover to the filter and found the issue. Some dummy at the dealership messed up the recirculation door when they were changing the cabin air filter. That makes sense why I kept smelling exhaust fumes from cars in front of us. But what I did not know is that the delayed AC startup, or no AC coming on at all sometimes was due to the recirculation flap not working. Apparently it goes into some sort of self-test cycle on every startup, and when it does not sense the recirculation flap in the position it is expecting the AC control computer freaks out and doesn't know what to do.

Next steps? Pulled the glove box. Inspected the mechanisms, the arms, the hinges, etc... Luckily when dumb dumb at the dealership forced it open he/she did not break anything. Only the actuator arm/lever slipped off of the recirc flap hinge thingy.

I was able to get it all fixed, tested, and put back together in less than an hour. If I wasn't filming the whole process for you guys It would have been maybe 25 minutes.

Waiting for all the video clips of my frustration to upload so I can put the video together for y'all. I'll get it up later tonight hopefully.

In the meantime, if you have stinky exhaust smells in the cabin that never seem to stop. OR if you have an AC that seems to come on after a long delay, never comes on at all until you push a button, or if it loses its settings at every startup, this next video will be helpful for you.

Wow, you're so lucky that they didn't break anything in the process, it's almost inevitable. This is why you lock the glovebox and take the key out of the fob so that they cant access it. Glad you averted a costly or home-brew half-ass repair.

Wow, you're so lucky that they didn't break anything in the process, it's almost inevitable. This is why you lock the glovebox and take the key out of the fob so that they cant access it. Glad you averted a costly or home-brew half-ass repair.
Very lucky it was an easy fix!

Here is the video for the AC recirculation flap fix. Hopefully it is a good visual reference of where things are and also how to take the glovebox and trim off for the LX570. Enjoy!

-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom