Builds 80 series where to start! Again.... (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well it is happening. The idea of building a muscle truck just won't stop. So I am doing it.

Goals for this project are <4500lbs, more than 850hp, retain all wheel drive, seat 4 in 4 buckets with harnesses. (these just coincidentally happen to be slightly better than the Hellcat numbers. lol) Can this be done? Who knows but I think so.

I am still looking for the right candidate for the body, but I have started buying parts. I know this flies absolutely in the face of all that is right in the Ih8mud world but just think of it as Supra's big brother.

Last edited:
First steps were of course building the block and head.

For the block we all know it's pretty bullet proof but I didn't want to take a chance.

I contacted CP-Carillo about their forged rods and pistons.

1427815279300.jpg

All of their forged rods will offer me what I am looking for. I ended up going with the lightest rod as I would like to Rev to 7000rpms.

So with the rods picked, next part was the pistons. I know I wanted either a JE, CP or Manley piston.

Manley wasn't currently offering a 1FZ piston but would custom make them if I bought 80 pistons. I only need 6 so I would have 74 spares..... lol. So they were out.

JE makes them in 8.5:1 and 10:1 but they are a made to order and could take months. (not that I am in a huge rush)

CP makes them in a 7.5:1, 8.5:1, and 10:1 but the only place you can buy them from is Subzero motorsports overseas.

So pistons will have to wait a couple days while I debate over 8.5:1 or 10:1 and if I wait months or try and order from overseas.

8.5:1 would be safer with boost giving you a larger safety margin before detonation but 10:1 would be better before boost and would help spool the turbo more quickly. Decisions!

Last edited:
So with the bottom end parts coming together the next step was to look at the head.

The things that I knew needed attention were the shim over buckets, and the air flow.

For the air flow, I sat down and looked at high flowing heads and noticed that the 80 series head is a little disproportional in how much air it can intake to how much exhaust it can flow. Also having limited space in the head to work with I couldn't go +3mm on both intake and exhaust so I went +3mm on intake and +1mm on exhaust.

With larger valves the next step for air flow is going to a cam that has more lift. I picked out the Kelford 225-T1 which has about 10.35mm intake and 10.5mm of exhaust lift. Stock lift being around 8mm or so.

More lift meant more spring, which meant different retainers, keepers, etc.

This and a port job should really help the 1FZFE breath a lot better giving much better turbo spool and performance across the power band.

The other thing that I knew needed to be addressed was the shim over buckets that Toyota used to adjust lash. These shims can get spit out if you use too much spring pressure and rev the engine too high.

Others have used the Nissan FJ20 buckets to remedy that. But the FJ20 buckets are old and not readily available in the US. So I did a bunch of research and found that the VQ series of engines use shimless buckets and that they should fit the 1FZFE. They are also much higher quality than the old FJ20 buckets and have a Diamond Like Coating (DLC) coating on the top to help reduce friction and wear.

This chart gives all the values for the cam followers as well as dimensions.
http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/wolfpdf/VQ_VK_QR_BUCKET_CAM_FOLLOWER_WORKSHEET.pdf

1427817929013.jpg

Last edited:
Haha this thread is sure to piss the purists off.... There is going to be a lot of Toyota left but there is also going to be a lot of things that get changed. My biggest worry is the transmission but I think I am going to put that in the hands of ATF Speed.

Last edited:
I think I'll learn a thing or fifty here...Somehow I picture this in the x^2 60 series on an 80 frame project...

Ooooh this is going to get good

Bro I'd go all oem for everything because Toyota knew what they were doing and Mr t is a demigod.
Yeah, but what about the cup holders?

:hmm:

While I am all for high HP trucks and think they are ultra-cool....... What is the ultimate driving goal for this beast? I assume NOT off-road because that much HP should equate to speed, not rock crawling.... Tire-smoking all-wheel-drive, light to light....

I also assume the cup holders will be angled forward, so the G-forces will keep the drinks in the cups......

It will have 4 cup holders

Finally. I was wondering when you were gonna get into real 80 series tech. Was about to request a mod move this to Chit Chat.

Yep won't be an off road truck. I will have my current LX for that. This will be purely a hooligan type truck. It will be the Japanese version of the panel wagon hotrod. Lots of ideas on suspension still in my head, so not sure how that will play out yet. But I want to stuff a high performance tire under it. Hard to find in a big enough diameter to look right, but I have settled on a 315/40 R21. The wheels will have to be custom with an offset that pushes them out to the edge of a rolled fender. So the suspension will get a drop just undecided on how I am going to do that still.

Oh good! I was hoping it would have some donks.

Well it is going to have to have some pretty large wheels simply because the only performance size tires they make in 18/19" are about 27" tall. To get closer to the 30-30.5" that I wanted I had to go to a 20+" wheel. It will look fine with the right wheel they won't be chrome or flashy. Hell the GT-R runs a 20" and the Jeep SRT runs a 21" it will be ok. lol.

I love this idea...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom