My 76 1UZ build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1614025334151.png

Big pimpin'.

Prudent, there is a reason I have my truck and my kegerator in the garage, sometimes I sneak away.. sometimes I hide away

Edit - wouldn't change a thing though, coming up on 25 years (assuming she doesn't find out about blue pig)

Last edited:
He's an idiot let’s just do this ourselves.

That's the approach I took. Rather than trying to figure out what end (Metric,SAE, etc...) goes on the custom hose, I found it easier to buy fittings to convert at the pump or gearbox to -AN fittings. Then it's always easy in the future to just work with -AN hoses.

Yup, got the parts last week (grabbed the AL fitting because they didn't have steel, but a steel one is in the mail - psi it's rated high enough for the 1250psi rack and pinion pump mounted on the engine and scout box, but I don't want to chance it and barf fluid in a remote area)

20210224_104038.jpg

That's the approach I took.
When I was a younger man most everyone behind the part counter knew their job and if you could get close to describing the part you needed they would make it happen and thank you for coming in, unfortunately most of them were most likely heavy smokers & drinkers and are long gone to be replaced with this new generation of bubblegum chewing computer kids that don’t have a clue what they are selling if the barcode is missing from the part they are trying to scan.

Selling parts to guys like us isn’t a career anymore but a stepping stone job that no one cares enough about to be good at.

Welcome to the 21st century my friends.

We’re lucky enough to have good-size NAPA here staffed by gear heads who know their stuff and are willing to go the extra mile. An example...in my latest engine swap I walked in with a coat hanger bent into the shape of the upper radiator hose I needed. Counter guy took it without comment, walked into the back and I walked out with what I needed about 20 minutes later. If they don’t have what you need most times it’s there by 8am the next day. Prices are usually competitive.
Otherwise it’s Autozone, O’Reilly’s, Advance etc. where most of the staff might as well be selling shoes or flipping burgers.

You should have heard the conversation I had with Bilstein (called CA headquarters)... They have their stock line 5100, and then the 5165 custom. I called to ask about valving vs weight for the 5165. The technical support person said, well, you know those are custom. I said, so its a 5000# truck, do I go light medium or heavy for wheeling mostly but relatively stable highway? "well it depends on the application, they are like custom you know?" Kid you not, it was ridiculous, best he could do was to suggest I try some of the forums. Talked to a local dealer who also runs an offroad club, heavy in the rear, medium in the front, we'll see..

Last edited:
So I am at the point of completing the transmission tunnel and I have to marry a jeep part and the pig - I know sacrilege, so from here on we will just call it the t case.

The t-case has a speedo output gear with 4 dimples and is about 4mm ID, the pigs cable is 4.7mm and has a single notch. I am debating reaming the t-case gear so it is even all the way around and then carefully grinding back the pigs cable to fit - possibly filing a notch in the t-case gear to take the cable notch so it doesn't slip. I am hopeful there is enough material on the cable to accommodate. Both the cable and the gear are available if I royally screw it up. The threads on the housing actually match perfectly which is why I am thinking I should try this.
20210226_095255.jpg
20210226_095323.jpg

I'd rather not go electric because I like the idea of keep the original gauge working. So before I dive in, any other creative thoughts?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom