Builds Megadoomer Build (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Stereo and speakers are 100% done. The sound is great, better than I expected. Dash is almost done and just need to make my fuse cover.

20190518_160758.jpg
20190518_160851.jpg
20190518_160829.jpg

Yesterday I was finally able to put some time in to the pig. About 15 hours to be exact. The time was dedicated to finishing the fuel tank and did, but we did have a setback. More on that later.

The many mods we needed to were as follows:
1. The fuel pickup being in front of tank meant I would starve with 1/4 tank going up a hill.
2. The vent tube was short and ineffective and would spit fuel out.
3. The overflow tubes were plumbed to the side of the tank and at the same level as the filler. It would shut off the pump at the gas station so much and I never got more than 32 gallons in.
4. Top tank was drooping down restricting volume.

We got some angle alum to support the top and the baffles. You see one here.
20190601_102815.jpg

We moved the overflow tubes to the top. We did not have the ability to weld new bungs so we made a bulkhead fitting.

We installed the hydramat close to center of the tank and needed to find a way to plumb to the bottom of the fuel pump. We used a plastic 90 and removed the stock sock.
20190601_124536.jpg

Holley makes an epoxy kit that sticks to aluminum tanks to fasten the mat down.

20190601_135651.jpg

We made the access panel and rubber gasket yesterday. I found some gas proof rubber on Amazon.
20190601_102827.jpg

20190601_141302.jpg

20190601_154538.jpg

We used m6 rivnuts and bolted it through the angle pieces. The top is pretty flat now.

We took a 6 foot 5/16 line and plumbed the vent to the fuel door. @J Mack gave me that idea.
20190601_162513.jpg

20190601_162526.jpg

Got tank in and put 5 gallons in and it fired right up. Needed to do the timing but we took it to the gas station. There is a steep hill right near Steve's house that I would sputter on with only 5 gallons and it had no issue.

Filling the tank was amazing. Stuffed in 33 gallons before the pump shut off. Squeaked in another gallon and we were full. Estimate that I got 38-39 gallons in.

Now, the set back. We were shy on thread sealer and putting gas in like 30 seconds later. Gas was geysering out the drive back. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDGE!!!! Cept I did say that word. It was the F dash dash dash word.

Back Steve's house got my shakey syphon out and....
MEME2019-06-02-09-39-04.jpg

My daily has a full tank, and Steve's daily has a full tank, and his Chevelle has a full tank.

Dropped the tank and began to make good fix. Cleaned up the top and gooped on the thread sealer. We wanted to get nylon washers but found some tight fitting steel washers with rubber and used those. I left there at 10pm with the tank assembled but not installed. We are letting it sit a bit.

Side note. There was still about 1 gallon in the tank and tilted it about 30 degrees and still tons of fuel contact with the mat.

We used m6 rivnuts and bolted it through the angle pieces.
Gas was geysering out the drive back. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDGE!!!!

Goop every bolt thread and both sides of every gasket or sealing washer.

Last edited:
Goop every bolt thread and both sides of every gasket or sealing washer.
That is the stuff we are using, we just got ahead of ourselves. It's a sticky deep red color, right?

Pressure test with1 or 2 lbs of air before you reinstall, much easier to drain air if you get it wrong.

Permatex #2 never hardens.

Last edited:
Re-post this picture after gooping, it should be a bloody mess with permatex oozing out between every bolt washer and gasket.
20190601_154538-jpg.1992584

Should've hooped rivnuts too. Are they blind rivnuts?
Eyes wide open. I guess I didn't know they had closed ones. @J Mack has been texting me all kinds of info. I will make some changes over the next few days.

We pressurized the tank last night and the second attempt leaked a little from under the gasket. The bolts were solid. Took the access panel off and a rivnut hadn't seated proper. Put in a new one and lathered on the red sticky stuff all over the top per @J Mack and let it set for a little. Pressurized it again and it held up with no leaks. Put the tank back in the pig and it started right up.

It was dropping a cylinder the first try with the gas tank and we solved that issue. Put in the new front pinion seal in and lubed every orifice under neath.

Next is to fab the rear seats and new 3 point belts. running out of ⏰

Another setback. While refilling the A/C the evaporator revealed a large leak and a hamster wheel was cracked. I ordered a new under dash unit and should be here next week. Didn't want the extra expense but it should be more effective and it has a defroster which I didn't have before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom