Builds Megadoomer Build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I need to address my roof. I could always Source one and repair but that would be too vanilla. Soooo, thoughts?
Screenshot_20190809-113129_Gallery.jpg

hmmm.

Normally, I would so "do it" too. That road sometimes doesn't always turn out so peachy. The last time I encouraged some chop top action, guy finished his project, and sold it like a year later. So I say do it in such a way that if it doesn't turn out the way you were hoping or imagined it would, you can easily (relatively) dig into some vanilla and put a normal top back on it.

You have an internal roll cage, yah? Maybe you could tie the camper top floor into the cage? One thing for sure - you'll need to beef up your rear shocks / anti-sway bar situation to help compensate for the added weight.

Normally, I would so "do it" too. That road sometimes doesn't always turn out so peachy. The last time I encouraged some chop top action, guy finished his project, and sold it like a year later. So I say do it in such a way that if it doesn't turn out the way you were hoping or imagined it would, you can easily (relatively) dig into some vanilla and put a normal top back on it.
True. My idea of replacing the vanilla roof was too cut a few inches down all of the pillars. If I gack up the pop top I would just cut a few inches down the pillars and put a new-to-me roof on.

Are you thinking of building your own pop top or using an aftermarket (Alu-cab) and adapt it to the 55. I'm thinking you need big kahunas to cut the top off a good 55 and build a one of a kind top. I'd have to do a little more drinking first. :)

Last edited:
Looking to adapt a pop top to the top.

It's not a good roof. I got good rot going near the drip rails.

Who had a pic of a nicely done 55 pop top, I remember seeing one, maybe white?

Or...
You could come and get this one. It's a later top with the curved corners on the front driver and passenger side. I would think you could graft in those corners with your earlier roof without too much trouble, but that's just probably me over simplifying it.

1565453364598.png

Whoa, you have that at your compound? What would you want for it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom