Builds Megadoomer Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes but it was months ago. 2018 Chrysler Pacifica. I am going to incorporate a latch that is disengaged and fold forward with the stow n go strap but for now it just bolted.

New a/c unit is in. Going to charge it tomorrow. Got new earl and filter, coolant. Had a skid/heat shield fab'd and pick it up tomorrow. Welded a tab for the seat belt. Just might have a decent pig for the trip.
20190610_191846.jpg

Today after work I will be putting the skid/heat shield in under the gas tank. That should wrap up the upgrades and I'll get to drive it home. I'm so excited I am having a hard time staying focused on the work.

Well....got everything buttoned up and the shield and hearder wrap went well. We had been dropping a cylinder and it was the same one I had trouble with on PP17. Compression is low. Not sure why but it was deflating. I was going to baby it for the trip and fast track the LS after.

Then....Thing drove great on the road and freeway. Got off at my exit and the fans came on and the alternator started seizing and burning the belt. This happened when we tested the AC but thought the belt may be old. Nope the brand new alternator that sat in a garage almost immediately after I installed it is gonzo. The only thing that kept me from burning the whole piece of s*** to the ground was having to buy matches at the CVS I just limped in front of.

I am going to call the place I got it from at 8:31am. They are in San Bernadino and if they will honor an exchange and have one in stock I will drive up and get it. If not, I'll see you at PP2020.

OK. I stepped back from the ledge a bit. I called the company i got the alternator from first thing and he was super helpful. He was ready to test and repair the alt or exchange with no questions. The issue was the 1.5 hour drive to make it happen. I left work to pull it out and head north. I was thinking as I looked at the engine bay. Back a while before my home made alt bracket was a little wobbly and it was throwing the belt at higher idle. I read or was told that a thicker belt may resist that. One of the things we did this spring was fix the bracket issue. Basically the belt sat too high and didn't have a lot of traction in the pulley and under load I was smoking the tires...err belt. I decided to make a 3 minute trip to Napa to test the belt theory before the 3 hour trip.

New belt sits lower and is working better. It did squeak a bit under load so I tightened it a little more. Ran it for 15 mins and tightened the belt even more. It was running good so I left the work truck and home and drove the Doomer in to work. I probably have another bit a stretch to deal with and I should be good.

Now I am going to drive as much as possible to get any gremlins to reveal themselves before Monday. If all goes well, I'll see you next tuesday.

Shout out to RAB Performance. They make a great product and stand by it. I'm glad they were willing to help but more glad it wasn't needed.

Put a bit of miles on since changing the belt. All things are looking good. All the other upgrades seem to be working. I have about 1/8 tank of gas and haven't starved once. The gas tank is getting only 10 degrees above ambient temp and that's probably from the returning fuel. A/c is cooooold. Not used to that. Feeling good about the long haul.

Ok so a Pig Party Trip debrief.
Loaded the last of the food Monday morning and started up. About 30 seconds after it died. WTF? I heard a snap of a fuse and sure enough it was the ignition fuse. Took the fuse from the power door locks and hoped it was just an old fuse. We had to drive a few hours before a parts store was open for a pack of fuses. No problems with it for the rest of the trip.

I was noticing a drip on the driver's side. It was brake fluid coming from the rear of the proportion valve. It got worse as the trip continued. Just ordered a new one and it will be here tomorrow.

Probably the s***tiest part was my hood flying up at 45 mph on the Pony Express. It didnt look right as I was driving and I should have been more thorough because 10 mins later I was staring at a wall of flat black and slamming on the brakes. My windshield was saved by the light bar. The light bar was unphased and still works. The hood scoop broke the passenger wiper and hinges destroyed the cowl. So apparently the safety latch had bent and was keeping the lock from securely fastened. Fixed the latch and we were good for the rest of the party. This incident encouraged other piggers to check their hoods.
20190624_165528.jpg
20190624_165543.jpg

Oh nice. I'll have to bring you a can of Stillwater for your kindness. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom