Builds Just another 79 build..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What if the frame WAS the exhaust 🤯
jk
How about thru the frame? I had this 50 Ford that was so low that an exhaust would get crushed when it laid on the ground....I had a set of Bentley exhaust tips....I welded in a 3.5" diameter steel pipe thru the frame....connected the exhaust with a flex joint to the pipe on the inside of the frame, tip to the pipe on the outside of the frame. It was really cool...sounded great AND shot flames 🔥🔥

You can barely see them in this pic...right in front of the rear wheels. Such a cool car.
11121021_838669349526902_8038572423436914802_n.jpg

@Onur sent me this TEQ oil cap and a 1FZFE sticker when I got the 79 on the road way back in 2012....I was almost speechless when I opened up that box....really really cool. It was one of my favorite parts......and now it will live its life on the 1HDT.
20200904_195304_1.jpg

đź‘Ť I bet you slept better.

Slept like a baby. Probably because of the 15 hour day I worked and not the wing nut. :)

On the 1FZ we couldn't fit a wing nut....the air lid was too close to the hood.

Part time conversion is complete.....Trail Gear axles went into today along with those Aisin hubs we all love. Gold for this truck....red for #2. Red looks better I think...maybe I've just gotten used to it.

20200905_100831.jpg
20200905_124300.jpg

Finished with about 80% of the lift today. Gained 4" over where we were....which was on stock height 80 springs. The truck always felt like the height was great but it was really low. Once we got the last truck done, it was very apparent how low #1 had become(or always was).

Lots of good stuff. OME 4" competition coils for the front. Probably will be aggressive without a winch/2nd battery and bull bar but that will all change down the road. Dobinsons MRR shocks on this one too. Rears on back order so maybe next week for them. Dobinsons lower control arms for the rear....80 series stuff obviously. Very nice pieces. Impressed every time we get stuff from them. Sway bar drops and some @landtank 4" caster correction plates.
20200905_091848.jpeg

Good shot of the downpipe....old heat barrier from the 1FZs headers. They were so tight to the body.
20200905_110056.jpeg

These MRR shocks are really impressive.....trying out different settings on the #2 truck to find out what is best. 3 way adjustable.....high and low speed compression as well as rebound.

20200905_172834.jpeg

The remnants of a 30mm spacer.....got squished out on the last trip to TN.
20200905_125152.jpeg

Great place for a dog to be while trying to do a suspension....we work around her :)

20200905_142704.jpeg

Last edited:
Probably a 1/2 to 3/4" too high in the front. Rear is WAY out. I had a set of OME 2.5" springs I wanted to try just to see how they did. 1" spring spacer on the the rear AND airbag helpers and we are still low by 1.5". I think I found the right Dobinsons springs....4" units with constant heavy weight. A little hard to figure out how this truck specs out compared to an 80 series. I'm thinking we are pretty close to the same but once the drawers are full of things, full water tank, house battery, gear, etc....we're probably close to a heavy 80 series. We'll see when the new springs come in if my calculations are right.

20200905_172932.jpeg
20200905_172855.jpeg

33s are looking pretty little now.

20200905_172952.jpeg

I didn't take a before today but this one was from a few weeks ago.

20200814_183642.jpeg

Last edited:
AH-HA!

It was back to customer work this week....no real work on the truck but we were able to knock quite a bit off the list.

I installed these caster plates on Monday.....what a horrible job. So much drilling. Definitely don't want to do that again anytime soon.

We'll see how the caster comes in once we get it on the rack.

20200910_143052.jpeg
20200910_143103.jpeg

We received our diesel AC amplifier.....works like a charm.

20200908_163737.jpeg

The "before" wiring shot of the area behind the glove box. Yikes.
20200727_151116_1.jpeg

After shot. Much much nicer.
20200909_091134.jpeg

Having a slight running issue with the 1HDT that we're working thru. We have a lot of smoke. Black. EGTs seem to ramp up really significantly once they go over 1000F.....3rd gear, 3/4 throttle. Pretty sure we're over fueled.

Pump was serviced, setup to OEM specs. Boost is about 10 psi. Stock CT26...rebuilt. Rebuilt injectors. Pump timed with SST to spec. Truck starts like the other trucks....immediately. Intake is good(zero restrictions), exhaust is 3" front to back BUT there is a big ol' muffler under it from an Escalade...it helped keep the gasser motor quiet. We left it in as we didn't have another muffler and I wanted the exhaust exiting from behind the truck, not under it. It's not straight thru. Wondering if this isn't causing a problem. Maybe with the high EGTs? Not sure on the fuel though. I took out 1.25 turns from the fuel adjuster screw which is helping....seeing much less smoke.....but still smoking on hard acceleration. EGTs slower to climb but will hit 1200+ on flat ground(it's FL....it's very flat). Not sure if I should keep pulling fuel until I feel the boost not coming in and a power loss? Maybe increase boost to 15 psi to help clean things up? Seems strange to have to adjust the fuel screw so much...or is a turn a lot? Maybe it's not. 🤷‍♂️

Tomorrow we are going to yank off the goofy muffler and see how we do with the new Aeroturbine 3" unit.

At idle in the parking lot giving it some skinny pedal.....is this rolling coal? :)

20200908_145654.jpeg

Last edited:
We'll use this for boost adjustments.....neat little piece AND it's made in Australia....legit.

20200910_153749.jpg

You probably don’t need any muffler since the turbo “substitutes” cancels the noise, don’t know how to explain. I just run straight pipe both on the 2H and now 12HT. With windows closed it is pretty quiet. I did test drive a non turbo’d HZ and the drone was terrible at hey speeds.

My 13BT was straight-piped with 3 inch when I got it. I did not like it at all. I had a 3 inch stainless resonator off my SRT8 laying around and I had that put in. Much better.

The gasser had a really small 10 or 12" resonator in it...that will stay. The Aeroturbine mufflers are really cool....they have a resonator built into them. It's a straight thru design.....I'm sure it will help a little. Trying to keep this truck very quiet.

I don’t recall that much smoke, but the bone stock HDJ81 I had (it’s now my brother’s) would easily head for 1300F EGT’s on a slight incline. After my brother installed an intercooler and increased the boost to 15psi it is hard to get it over 1200 hammering up a hill.

1. Your actual muffler it's not causing high EGT's
2. Straight pipe ( I was 3" on my 1HD-T ) it's better for EGT issues
3. Overfueling at low rpm proceed to adjust on top of your IP the boost compensator
4. you would need to take a look on your follower fuel pin ..

20180308152524-cc3520b4-me.jpg

1. Your actual muffler it's not causing high EGT's
2. Straight pipe ( I was 3" on my 1HD-T ) it's better for EGT issues
3. Overfueling at low rpm proceed to adjust on top of your IP the boost compensator
4. you would need to take a look on your follower fuel pin ..

20180308152524-cc3520b4-me.jpg

I hope to have some time next week to mess around with a few different adjustments......I'm sure we will get it running just right. Just need to spend some time with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom