Builds Just another 79 build..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

😉

B0B7696B-5E79-4AD1-8E3C-35E0C0706141.jpeg

5ECED0DF-11DD-4002-A2D7-46FCC9334357.jpeg

CF75D901-CE89-4AFC-9F99-7B7AA3C48661.jpeg

EFD85E75-A921-4657-BD8E-3B6D74484E2C.jpeg

Last edited:
My Scheelmanns are still sitting on the shelf in the shop :( Some day I will get around to putting them in the 79. I definitely hold the record for the length of time it took to build a 79. Mine has been collecting dust for years.

Question about the mounting of the air clear base. Where exactly is it suppose to bolt up? I got one from Onur that was suppose to be for the right one for my year 79 but it won't bolt up and work with the factory snorkel.

Big day today....obviously got the truck running. Couple small issues but nothing major. The 1FZ tach doesn't work with the 1HDT so this mess was immediately created......and most likely resolved.
View attachment 2419174

This is pretty interesting....to get the tach to work, the guts of the 1FZ tach were put in a 24v 70 housing with the 70 face. I vaguely remember when this was all done a back in the teens :). It's pretty ingenious how the guy did it. Definitely homebuilt. But it worked.

View attachment 2419173

I have always tried when I buy a motor to get 2 things....the harness from the truck and the gauge cluster. Always. Good reason for it too. We were able to scavenge the guts from the HDJ81s tach and swap out for the 1FZ. Fit the same for the most part. Really different.....HDJ81 on left, 1FZ on right
View attachment 2419176View attachment 2419180
amazing good tech here. My tach is not working in my 75 series, of course I am going from a non fuel injected 1fz to a fuel injected 1fz, so I assumed it would work. I will try to swap tach's and see if it works! Thanks,

My Scheelmanns are still sitting on the shelf in the shop :( Some day I will get around to putting them in the 79. I definitely hold the record for the length of time it took to build a 79. Mine has been collecting dust for years.

Question about the mounting of the air clear base. Where exactly is it suppose to bolt up? I got one from Onur that was suppose to be for the right one for my year 79 but it won't bolt up and work with the factory snorkel.

On my #2 truck....it bolted up to the fender......but we had to make a base support I think. There may be some kind of factory bracket we were missing. That filter assembly was from the 2014 HZJ76 that gave up its interior. I do believe the lid was from Cruiserparts as a take-off since I wanted a HDJ style lid for the turbo setup that has the 90* downturn.
20200902_104646.jpg
20200902_104651.jpg

This truck is all kinds of weird because we placed the air cleaner all the way forward to clear something on that passenger side fender. It was from the 80. We changed around the feet on the base....and in looking at the fender, we drilled a couple of holes to mount it on isolators along with making a mount for the inboard mount(holds the AC dryer too....a multi-tasking mount if you will). Snorkel lined up with some shenanigans connecting it to the OEM snorkel. The 1FZFE has a nice big inlet.....so it would appear that we just clocked it a little different to line up the inlet towards the snorkel.

20200902_104602.jpg

Yeah I toyed with modifying the 80 box but figured it would be easier to buy the one that bolts in. Well I should have know that it wouldn’t just bolt in. I don’t think there has been one thing on my truck that was a “bolt in”.
Thanks for the pics. I think there is a bottom bracket we must be missing.
for now I just have a clamp on k&n mounted on the turbo

Yeah I toyed with modifying the 80 box but figured it would be easier to buy the one that bolts in. Well I should have know that it wouldn’t just bolt in. I don’t think there has been one thing on my truck that was a “bolt in”.
Thanks for the pics. I think there is a bottom bracket we must be missing.
for now I just have a clamp on k&n mounted on the turbo

After taking apart this truck, I realized just how much was one off. Everything was made to bolt in. Very different animal vs. #2 which was way more bolt in. A few brackets here and there were made obviously but most of it just fit in.

An 80 box will work nice......cheap and easy to modify to work. That would be my go-to if I had to make one again.

We dialed in our gauges today so we could keep an eye on the motor.....I really dig this gauge setup. Really has a good amount of info. Also allows for audible alerts....we set ours for EGT, water and trans temp.

The all important opening display image
20200902_153231.jpeg

There are a ton of screens....we take out a lot of stuff we don't use. Mostly fuel mileage stuff. This one is too small for my liking but lots of info....outside temp(cloud), drop with 93.8 is oil pressure which is not hooked up, 83.4 is the coolant temp, boost next to it, U2 is temp for the transmission(they didn't have a transmission icon) and then of course EGT.

20200902_153315.jpeg

This is the screen I tend to use all the time....boost and EGT are big(way easier to see) and then the bottom smaller readouts are set by the user. Voltage, temps, pressures as well as miles covered(trip and total) and speed(mph), time too. There's an RPM readout but we can't get that to show.

20200902_153337.jpeg

When you power down, there is a trip recap screen....time of trip, average speed, top speed(v max) and fuel used if it's setup.

20200902_153321.jpeg

Finished this....turned out pretty good except for my paint job....I should have sanded it. It has a nice textured finish.

20200902_170001.jpeg

We used a spare throttle cable holder on the air box to help support the super long 1FZ accelerator cable that goes all the way over to the HDJ81s cruise control. Hard to believe all this came together.
20200902_170016.jpeg

The tach is working....and the instrument cluster glass looks really rough. Might need a new one.

20200902_170556.jpeg

A working tach can only mean one thing.....

It made it outside under its own power.

20200902_170710.jpeg

Topped off the trans fluid and took her around the block a couple of times....a few minor things to work out but nothing too major. Strange to be driving it with a COMPLETELY different drivetrain. Exciting and also kind of nerve wracking.....lots to get familiar with now and build trust in. Still kind of miss the 1FZFE :( but I think the 1HDT is going to be the ideal motor for this truck.

Even without a properly painted valve cover, this 1HDT certainly looks at home in this engine compartment.

20200902_174025.jpeg

Definitely in good company

20200902_170731.jpeg

Last edited:
I just bought new instrument cluster glass. I think it was around $20; not worth trying to polish it out for that price. I am planning on polishing my dash pod plastic given that's NLA. I'm sure this is common knowledge but Novus is the bomb for polishing plastic. I restored a couple of old pinball machines and this stuff made the plastic parts look new:

Amazon product ASIN B002UCYRZU
Chris, you need to get a proper wing nut on that air cleaner. Just saying.....

Last edited:
Probably not worth the effort but couldn’t you polish out the cluster plastic?

I think it's just microfibers on it from wiping it.....if you look at it in the truck, it's like new. Probably not worth replacing or worrying about. Maybe. I'm a worrier :)

I just bought new instrument cluster glass. I think it was around $20; not worth trying to polish it out for that price. I am planning on polishing my dash pod plastic given that's NLA. I'm sure this is common knowledge but Novus is the bomb for polishing plastic. I restored a couple of old pinball machines and this stuff made the plastic parts look new:

Amazon product ASIN B002UCYRZU
Chris, you need to get a proper wing nut on that air cleaner. Just saying.....

Novus in the cabinet and a wing nut on order for today :) We had to lower the stud on the air cleaner from the 1FZ setup....and it never had a wing nut.

Built a downpipe for the truck over the last day or so....I did a HORRIBLE job documenting it. This truck will have the exhaust running outside the frame.....for now it will tie into the old exhaust since it's 3" and existing. Way less work than a scratch built exhaust.

Started like this with a jig.
20200903_183235_1.jpeg
20200903_183240_1.jpeg

At one point it looked like this

20200904_101012.jpeg

This guy spent a lot of time at the table when he wasn't test fitting his creation

20200904_155410.jpeg

And it's installed! And that's all the pics I have of it.
20200904_131730.jpeg

Funny how things cross paths and happen in the shop.......one of our 80 series customers had a motor go out in his truck(ran it out of oil..."fixed" at another shop....knocking nose came back...go figure"......just so happens we had a 1FZFE that had just come out of a truck. Today the donor and recipient were occupying the area.
20200904_170740.jpeg
20200904_195130.jpeg
20200904_195248.jpeg
20200904_143913.jpeg

don't you have room to run the exhaust inside the frame? that's what I was doing with the LJ-78/1HD-FT project, had it all mocked up, then sold that project.

We could have....the other truck is inside the frame. I need this truck ready to be on the road in 10 days....so for now it goes outside....plus that's how the old one was routed so it was way easier to make it all work.

We'll pop in a Aeroturbine exhaust to replace the big Cadillac exhaust that I had been using.....should have the Aero on Tuesday. We made this system modular so it's easy to make new sections.....easy being relative I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom