How do you mount your gas can? (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you have a trailer hitch...I was thinking about using one of those plug in baskets. Anyone tried that?

DD78A7C8-0883-4CE5-9DBC-886A337E2B4F.jpeg

I cut down a harbor freight basket to fit 2 jerry cans and my water jug.
harbor freight.jpg

Room for 4.
Or an RTIC 45.

Versatility is nice.

20191223_124236.jpg

20200523_094334.jpg

I converted a tube style carrier to hold 2 cans. I cut it and reversed it. Welded in supports and captive nuts on the tub and rear sill. Looks like a mirror image to the OEM driver's side tire carrier. The basket can be unbolted if I like and add a larger one for a cooler or other storage.

It was a bit of work, but I'm very happy with the outcome.

thumbnail_IMG_1841.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1842.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4823.jpg

75201FE2-8F35-4079-860F-8122640116EB.jpeg
7FB89F65-7165-4747-9182-3D490756BF62.jpeg
always like an opportunity to show off a bit of custom work. Unfortunately I can’t claim to have the skills required for this job. My son @mcguirejohnson built this really cool Jerry can holder and used a plasma cutter to make the trout. Like Steve’s above, its removable from the swing out Incase we ever want to use this space for something else.

For the jerrycan holder I'm wondering for some time about the Front Runner side mount for Defender : Land Rover Defender Side Mount Jerry Can Holder - by Front Runner
(photos from Jerrycan holder on the Defender)
image.jpg

image.jpg

It's an unused space, it's lower than the roof, it could be easy to add or removing, it keeps the vehicle original.

On the Defender it's attached at the top by the roof gutter (we can do it on the 40), it's vertival (same for a 40 side) and at the bottom they replace 2 original rivets by 2 bolts to hold it.
image.jpg

I have already seen at least 1 company that proposed a kit to adapt it to VW van: VW T2 / T25 T3 Vanagon CVC Side Mount System *Jerry Can/Gas Bottle/Hi-Lift/Sand Mat ETC… | CampervanCulture.com
IMG_0742_zpsmcc57fs1.jpg

For the lower mount they use an aero rail. I think we could do the same on a 40 (still have to verify we clear the windows) but that means drilling holes on the side of the 40. So I was wondering... the weight is held on the top mount, lower mount is only to prevent the carrier to swag on the side, maybe 2 strong magnets would do the job ?
As always lots of wondering.... If someone wants to try =D

Gets me as far as a full tank and 2 fives used to get me. Now I carry a 2.75 gallon Roto Pak wherever it'll fit. LOL

20170612_195050.jpg

I have a Downey secondary tank that basically gets used for around town because i don't like going to the gas station much. At 12.5 mpg its easy to burn gallons really fast. On long haul trips, same thing. I have 42 gallons capacity combined.

How many 5 gallon jerry cans can one safely carry on the roof of a full size Con Fer Rack; 5X7?

For the jerrycan holder I'm wondering for some time about the Front Runner side mount for Defender : Land Rover Defender Side Mount Jerry Can Holder - by Front Runner
(photos from Jerrycan holder on the Defender)
image.jpg

image.jpg

It's an unused space, it's lower than the roof, it could be easy to add or removing, it keeps the vehicle original.

On the Defender it's attached at the top by the roof gutter (we can do it on the 40), it's vertival (same for a 40 side) and at the bottom they replace 2 original rivets by 2 bolts to hold it.
image.jpg

I have already seen at least 1 company that proposed a kit to adapt it to VW van: VW T2 / T25 T3 Vanagon CVC Side Mount System *Jerry Can/Gas Bottle/Hi-Lift/Sand Mat ETC… | CampervanCulture.com
IMG_0742_zpsmcc57fs1.jpg

For the lower mount they use an aero rail. I think we could do the same on a 40 (still have to verify we clear the windows) but that means drilling holes on the side of the 40. So I was wondering... the weight is held on the top mount, lower mount is only to prevent the carrier to swag on the side, maybe 2 strong magnets would do the job ?
As always lots of wondering.... If someone wants to try =D

That's the most land rover thing I've ever seen. It's just missing a few extra jerry cans mounted to the hood, right beside the spare wheel and high lift jack.

Puke, can't remember exactly what I did, but basically used a cutoff wheel on a grinder and just cut equal lengths out of each side and welded the rack back together.

Sorry to bump an old thread - I have purchased, from Toyota, a Jerry can and the holder for my 1971 FJ40. I need to fit the holder. The number plate holder seems to be welded to the door. I guess I will have to cut it off and drill new holes for the carrier ? Any advice would be appreciated.

01DFAED7-776D-45C2-81F7-0E8A10BCB8C3.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom