What the hell is goin on in Jimmy's Barn (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CaptClose

SILVER Star
Threads
I think Jim's (@CenTXFJ60) Barn needs it's own thread to keep his Frankenstein build thread a little more focused. His Barn has become a bit of a local hangout for the San Antonio area's FJ60 guys. There's alway cool things happening in the shop.

Today we got together with a new guy @davelovesfjs to see his "new to him" FJ60. A pretty sweet find for sure. I'll let him post pics and talk about it in detail. The first item on the agenda was to find out why it won't hold idle below 1350 RPM. A vacuum leak was suspected and confirmed using some brake cleaner, because we didn't have any carb cleaner on hand. A cracked intake manifold was the culprit and a plan was made for a near future fix. Dave's new 60 is the blue/gray shown below. Does anybody recognize this cruiser? We are thinking the previous owner had to be a Mud member, but he passed away earlier last year. There seems to be some of @reevesci fingerprints on this cruiser. Maybe after Dave posts some more pics, Jason might be able to ID this cruiser and provide some background.

IMG_8597.JPG

After a guided tour of Jim's Land Cruiser boneyard, Dave (the new guy) left, and it was back to business. Jeff was at the shop lending his expertise by sniffing out a fuel leak on my red 60 shown in the pic above. Jim and I discovered the fuel was leaking from the bottom of the carb, so we pulled the carb, cut a new gasket and sealed it back up.

I intended to assist Jimmy with a knuckle rebuild on his boy's 60 and then move onto replace a front output shaft seal on my cruiser, but the day got away from us, as it usually does haha.

What's on the agenda tomorrow Jim?

I think Jim's (@CenTXFJ60) Barn needs it's own thread to keep his Frankenstein build thread a little more focused. His Barn has become a bit of a local hangout for the San Antonio area's FJ60 guys. There's alway cool things happening in the shop.

Today we got together with a new guy @davelovesfjs to see his "new to him" FJ60. A pretty sweet find for sure. I'll let him post pics and talk about it in detail. The first item on the agenda was to find out why it won't hold idle below 1350 RPM. A vacuum leak was suspected and confirmed using some brake cleaner, because we didn't have any carb cleaner on hand. A cracked intake manifold was the culprit and a plan was made for a near future fix. Dave's new 60 is the blue/gray shown below. Does anybody recognize this cruiser? We are thinking the previous owner had to be a Mud member, but he passed away earlier last year. There seems to be some of @reevesci fingerprints on this cruiser. Maybe after Dave posts some more pics, Jason might be able to ID this cruiser and provide some background.

View attachment 1395220

After a guided tour of Jim's Land Cruiser boneyard, Dave (the new guy) left, and it was back to business. Jeff was at the shop lending his expertise by sniffing out a fuel leak on my red 60 shown in the pic above. Jim and I discovered the fuel was leaking from the bottom of the carb, so we pulled the carb, cut a new gasket and sealed it back up.

I intended to assist Jimmy with a knuckle rebuild on his boy's 60 and then move onto replace a front output shaft seal on my cruiser, but the day got away from us, as it usually does haha.

What's on the agenda tomorrow Jim?
Nice write up Ryan. You missed your calling. Did not even see you documenting things with the camera. I tor down Addisons other knuckle and parts are in the parts cleaner. Might have an issue with the spindle which I'll post in another thread to get some expert opinions. The drivers side looked good, but the top bearing on the passenger knuckle was a disaster. Really cool meeting Dave as well. Picked up a really nice 60.

I just dealt with Jim this week and he told me about his awesome collection. I read his Frankenstein build thread as well. I'm impressed, especially with the 12ht engines he has acquired...

Man, I so wish Texas and Cali and Arizona were 20 mins away like most things are from me here in CT. Grrr.
Little ol' me gets lonely out here doing her own attempts at wrenching!

Man, I so wish Texas and Cali and Arizona were 20 mins away like most things are from me here in CT. Grrr.
Little ol' me gets lonely out here doing her own attempts at wrenching!

I wished you lived closer to Felicity, we could have really used you and your mad dremel skills yesterday!

Man this is making me wish I was still working on my cruiser in the barn... You guys need to keep him on track with his build so that he can get it ready for Colorado this summer!

I wished you lived closer to Felicity, we could have really used you and your mad dremel skills yesterday!
Yeah yeah dremel schemel, you damn kiss ass.

Man this is making me wish I was still working on my cruiser in the barn... You guys need to keep him on track with his build so that he can get it ready for Colorado this summer!

Yeah Mcguire, your dad has a bit of Cruiser A.D.D.... Sometimes I think that you and your kids will end up finishing that build! :rofl:

Yeah yeah dremel schemel, you damn kiss ass.

Seriously, Jeff tried everything but your dremel to raid some headlight buckets from the boneyard yesterday, but the screws were all rusted together. I remember thinking that we could have used your Dremel skills!! Haha

I'll second everyone about what a great afternoon it was yeatserday! Great to meet all the guys and good to know there's some quality gents in the area with cruiser know how.

I'm in the midst of some kid chaos, but I wanted to post up a few pics after giving her a good bath today. It's had about a year and a half of dirt just sitting on her. Good start.

Nice looking truck!

There is a large pipe open on the air cleaner lid. It is getting dirty air rammed into the front and then it goes right into the carb. Cap it off ASAP.

Nice looking truck!
There is a large pipe open on the air cleaner lid. It is getting dirty air rammed into the front and then it goes right into the carb. Cap it off ASAP.

Solid point Jim. Get a good look at that carb, you'll be seeing it soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom