How do you mount your gas can? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I carry mine on the roof but to be honest in all the years I’ve been wheeling if you fill up your tank you rarely go far enough to need extra gas.

View attachment 2316963
I have a roof rack and I've been wondering about this. 1. I was worried about the tank leaking, is that not an issue? 2. Do you have anything supporting it or just a strap?

I have a roof rack and I've been wondering about this. 1. I was worried about the tank leaking, is that not an issue? 2. Do you have anything supporting it or just a strap?

I've carried Scepter plastic jerry cans on a roof rack for a week at a time and never had them leak. Makes it super easy to siphon them into the gas tank too; no need to remove the cans. Put them up there empty, strap them down (two straps over two or three cans at once), and climb up there to fill them at the last gas station. Siphon them off as needed, take them down empty when you get home.

Bit late to the party but............I bought a Jeep (WASH MY MOUTH OUT+I JUST THREW UP IN MY MOUTH!) spare tire mount and had a buddy cut and weld a new mounting plate to fit the FJ40 lug pattern. I am also looking into moving my plate holder and attach a Smittybuilt universal mount.

For the jerrycan holder I'm wondering for some time about the Front Runner side mount for Defender : Land Rover Defender Side Mount Jerry Can Holder - by Front Runner
(photos from Jerrycan holder on the Defender)
image.jpg

image.jpg

It's an unused space, it's lower than the roof, it could be easy to add or removing, it keeps the vehicle original.

On the Defender it's attached at the top by the roof gutter (we can do it on the 40), it's vertival (same for a 40 side) and at the bottom they replace 2 original rivets by 2 bolts to hold it.
image.jpg

I have already seen at least 1 company that proposed a kit to adapt it to VW van: VW T2 / T25 T3 Vanagon CVC Side Mount System *Jerry Can/Gas Bottle/Hi-Lift/Sand Mat ETC… | CampervanCulture.com
IMG_0742_zpsmcc57fs1.jpg

For the lower mount they use an aero rail. I think we could do the same on a 40 (still have to verify we clear the windows) but that means drilling holes on the side of the 40. So I was wondering... the weight is held on the top mount, lower mount is only to prevent the carrier to swag on the side, maybe 2 strong magnets would do the job ?
As always lots of wondering.... If someone wants to try =D
Thinking about doing this to my 80 series. Just thought I’d poke around to see if anyone has had any problems before I drill and rivet nut into my rig.
Let me have it fellas!! Lol!!!

Thinking about doing this to my 80 series. Just thought I’d poke around to see if anyone has had any problems before I drill and rivet nut into my rig.
Let me have it fellas!! Lol!!!
How many bolts does it use? I’m not real familiar with 80 sheet metal, but most modern vehicles panels aren’t that robust. I would be afraid they’d likely shear with weight of a full can. Just my 2 cents

7BAB6D6B-D22B-4ED0-9686-213D1B26CA35_1_201_a.jpeg

This is how I mounted my jerrycan. I bumped it out a couple of inches so I can still use my "AC" kick out vent.
I found this gate reinforcement hardware that I had squirreled away. It looks like one of these...
https://www.amazon.com/Mofeez-Corner.../dp/B07RJ3TH78

Next I cut off the ends that stuck out beyond the diagonal bar, keeping the long side. I mounted it to the military type tray that holds my jerry can and it sits vertical just about 1/16th of an inch behind the vent. I anchored the front of the tray just forward of the kick out vent with a long bolt in an aluminum sleeve about 1 1/2" long. It is very solid and, by the way, I have an aluminum body and cowl. I put some tool box liner in the bottom of the tray to dampen rattles. Lastly, I used a couple of inches of rubber fuel line split along its length and stuck it on the back of the tray to keep the little door from whacking it.

34587657-972F-4F1B-8C45-CD6C5FA31605.jpeg

Last edited:
How many bolts does it use? I’m not real familiar with 80 sheet metal, but most modern vehicles panels aren’t that robust. I would be afraid they’d likely shear with weight of a full can. Just my 2 cents
Only uses 2 bolts at the bottom and the top is gutter mount. I see your point though.

I put mine on the roof of the 80, no leaking, no problems. I sold the 80 and now I'm looking for ideas for my 40. I'm thinking of building a step ladder for my spare and fitting a Con Fer style clamp mount on the opposite side of the spare, all held on by a strong ratchet strap. I hope it works...

IMG_6660.JPG

41-v9loESwS._AC_SL1024_.jpg

c272180103c4c3784324d8a3a0f8e668.jpeg

299183969_10229421602183882_4803581357021388675_n.jpeg

IMG_0377.JPG

Last edited:
No pic to share as away from Fiona Joy for a bit, but strapped this to her spare this summer and attached a jerry can holder it. Rock Slide Engineering EZ Rack RSE-AC-TR-102S | RealTruck - https://realtruck.com/p/rock-slide-engineering-ez-rack/rse-ac-tr-102s/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=free-pla&utm_content=surfaces&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-fmZBhDtARIsAH6H8qhXEfVBMOFx6bdnaZPuxYoISSWiQICwobPgGUdfqn_ENVNIWjaooUoaAgYeEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
I put mine on the roof of the 80, no leaking, no problems. I sold the 80 and now I'm looking for ideas for my 40. I'm thinking of building a step ladder for my spare and fitting a Con Fer style clamp mount on the opposite side of the spare, all held on by a strong ratchet strap. I hope it works...

View attachment 3133341

View attachment 3133348

View attachment 3133355

View attachment 3133362

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom