Hood Latch Bumpers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GS 60

SILVER Star
Threads
Found a temporary solution, at least, for hood latches rubber stops at the local hardware store, been on there a month now, no sign of coming off through rain and shine?

IMG_0258.JPG

IMG_0259.JPG

IMG_0260.JPG

Found a temporary solution, at least, for hood latches rubber stops at the local hardware store, been on there a month now, no sign of coming off through rain and shine?

View attachment 1531017

View attachment 1531018

View attachment 1531019

I'm working on this right now, being the rubber stops on my latches were dry rotted....As soon as I finalize a solution, I'll post it up. Here are two options I've looked at.

Below, the 1/2 moon bumpers are actually screwed together.
IMG_1541.jpg

Below, these are snapped together with one being a stem bumper.
IMG_1542.jpg

I have a few other options headed my way, so I'm still working on this.

Good stuff, where did you find your two options to date?

Thanks

Currently I'm using the cut off ends from rubber valve stems that we use at the shop. I just cut them off with my side cutters...
valve stem - Google Search:
They already have holes in the center, I then went the the hardware store and dug around till I found some hardware to hold them on. I documented this somewhere in a thread. Or these seem pretty legit...
https://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Bumpe...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=BPKVGBFJM8SE1AD91V6T
But probably want to use different hardware to hold them on, not really a big deal.

@jim land

Ding ding ding...... I think that idea is a Winner!!
Easy to get, clean, very simple and cost effective

Sorry @GA Architect

No need to be sorry. That idea is very cost effective and convenient for those with a tire shop access. And those stems are very inexpensive at the FLAPS as well.

My options I posted above are free samples and no modification to the old OEM latches. I have a few more free samples coming in, so I'll see if those will fit my needs.....if not, maybe the valve stem modification will be the ticket.

I still want to see what you come up with. Your stuff was looking real good:hillbilly:

Ok, here is my follow-up. After a few weeks of ordering samples, these are a few combinations I've tried.

IMG_1582.jpg

Right to Left:
1. 20mm x 10mm & 20mm x 15mm rubber vibration mounts with a 6mm stud and nut (rubber & metal)
2. 3/4" dome bumper with 8-24stud & a 1/2" dome bumper with nut (rubber & metal)
3. 3/4" bumper with 7/8" stem bumper for connection (all rubber)
4. 3/4" bumpers with 1/4" rubber rod for connection (all rubber)
The bottom 4 rubber pieces are what came off my latches.

At this time, I ended up going with the far left.

IMG_1583.jpg

IMG_1584.jpg

The parts I'm using are all rubber, but not sure how long they will last, as both say they are not for outdoor use. None the less, if these make it a few years, so be it. I have more than enough to replace them a few times. The reason I chose these, it is an all rubber system, and the 5/32" bore of the rubber bumper should hold tight to the 1/4" rubber rod.

The parts from McMaster-Carr:
Rubber bumpers - #9540K862
Rubber Rod - #9027K12

Ok, here is my follow-up. After a few weeks of ordering samples, these are a few combinations I've tried.

View attachment 1536856

Right to Left:
1. 20mm x 10mm & 20mm x 15mm rubber vibration mounts with a 6mm stud and nut (rubber & metal)
2. 3/4" dome bumper with 8-24stud & a 1/2" dome bumper with nut (rubber & metal)
3. 3/4" bumper with 7/8" stem bumper for connection (all rubber)
4. 3/4" bumpers with 1/4" rubber rod for connection (all rubber)
The bottom 4 rubber pieces are what came off my latches.

At this time, I ended up going with the far left.

View attachment 1536857

View attachment 1536858

The parts I'm using are all rubber, but not sure how long they will last, as both say they are not for outdoor use. None the less, if these make it a few years, so be it. I have more than enough to replace them a few times. The reason I chose these, it is an all rubber system, and the 5/32" bore of the rubber bumper should hold tight to the 1/4" rubber rod.

The parts from McMaster-Carr:
Rubber bumpers - #9540K862
Rubber Rod - #9027K12

Did you use any sort of rubber glue to hold things together or just the friction fit?

Call me crazy... (or a non-purist), but I really didn't understand the need for the bumpers. I cut the metal where it makes the downward bend and ran without. They are still spring loaded so they would point away from the engine compartment when not latched. I think it looked cleaner and didn't damage the paint.

latch.jpg

latch2.jpg

So the paint being worn means there’s movement, and without the bumpers that movement ends up putting additional repetitive side-to-side load on the hinges, which leads to worn hinge pins. That’s my guess why the Toyota engineers included them. But they are an annoying maintenance item.

Thanks, I was thinking of using tire repair glue since the pieces are rubber.

Actually, my final product was this, with a small thin nut:
IMG_7592.JPG
IMG_7590.JPG

However, if I were to have my latches powder coated again, I'd cut the bumper part off like @UZJ40 did.

I need to blast and paint my latches. I’m really torn on how to go about it: either find a replacement bumper solution or cut them off entirely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom